Thanks all, appreciate it.

I am anxiously awaiting top water bass and pike seasons.

In the meantime I will chase bows quietly and away from the crowds...

With limited fishable water till opener I sacrifice numbers fishing the water that most aren't interested in but it's a better overall experience to me personally.

Are there any fly guys that regularly contribute here?

I am a pure rookie with computers and I resisted all social media as long as possible but it has finally become apparent to this stubborn angler that in order for my business to continue to grow and succeed to any degree in this day and age I must give it in and develop myself at least some kind of "online presence".

Trip reports will start to flow soon and once I get a few more tutorials from my computer savvy wife pics will be added to my arsenal for sure.

While I'm at it though could anyone explain what it means when someone tells me be careful posting pics because they are embedded with data and exact locations they were taken can be determined?

Any validity to this?

If so is there a way to "unembed"?

Thanks all. 

Edited by freshwaterflyco.

8 hours ago, freshwaterflyco. said:

While I'm at it though could anyone explain what it means when someone tells me be careful posting pics because they are embedded with data and exact locations they were taken can be determined?

I believe it's not the meta data that's the problem but the visual cues in the photos. most will blur or crop out easily recognizable landmarks or locations, otherwise people will try to figure out where the photo was taken. imo, if it's a very popular and well known spot or community hole, I don't think I'd worry too much. if it were a known waterway, but a spot that doesn't see much activity, then yeah, I'll keep the location tight.

• Like 1

Good morning and thanks for the reply,

For me personally, I'm not overly concerned about people recognizing landmarks or IDing location through background because for the most part any photos I take don't include a background, usually they just consist of fish, water and one or all of rocks, wood, and veg.

In the event someone I am fishing with wants a quick pic of themselves and their fish I have no issue though and if I am posting it I will learn to blur the background as you suggested for sure.

My real worry was the fact I never even considered the concept of being able to get GPS coordinates through a a posted photo until it was mentioned to me. 

I do wonder though if that is over paranoid on my part to worry about or even how common a practice it actually is.

Have a good one. 

R

16 hours ago, woodenboater said:

I believe it's not the meta data that's the problem but the visual cues in the photos. most will blur or crop out easily recognizable landmarks or locations, otherwise people will try to figure out where the photo was taken. imo, if it's a very popular and well known spot or community hole, I don't think I'd worry too much. if it were a known waterway, but a spot that doesn't see much activity, then yeah, I'll keep the location tight.

It's definitely the EXIF data embedded within the picture.  Most phones attach GPS data to pics and people haven't the slightest idea. 

Within your camera app makes sure GPS location data is disabled.  

Edited by BillM
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, BillM said:

It's definitely the EXIF data embedded within the picture.  Most phones attach GPS data to pics and people haven't the slightest idea. 

This is crazy.  I never thought that.  No wonder nobody posts that much.  I think even there was a guy who posted a report on here a few years ago about fishing for some Brookies and someone somehow found out where it was exactly he was getting them.  Anyways welcome to the forum.  Tons of knowledge folks on here always willing to help.

Edited by LostAnotherOne
Spelling

You can bet the geo location has been manually removed from my “annual reports” it’s a total PITA but such is life when making those reports.

To be honest that’s why I didn’t do one in the fall, it’s a heck of a lot of effort to go through the photos and crop them, blur then and remove the geolocations from them. 

to be honest it’s not even the guys around here that post that worry me, I’d take any of the guys from here fishing if they wanted to go, it’s the lurkers that I don’t like. Or my favourite, the guy that never posted a single post ever and had the nerve to DM me and ask specifically where I was catching a particularly more difficult fish to catch.

if you need to know how to safely navigate somewhere I will tell you everything I know, but if you want to know where to fish, be an active member here and feel free to invite me fishing with you. I’ll probably say yes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillM said:

YIKES !!!  guess I'll need to go in and make sure GPS location is disabled. thanks Bill !