Lake Ontario Coaster Brookies ?

dave524

Dave,

In the Sutton River, in Polar Bear Provincial Park, the speckles go steel head and spend much of their time feeding in Hudson Bay. When they return to spawn in late August, they are green in colour compared to the red/orange natives who live in the river all year. Same could happen if the tributaries to Lake O had an excess of speckles and a shortage of food, forcing them into the lake to forage. I don't think that has happened in our lifetime with all the migration obstacles and damage to habitat. Stocking them into Lake O may be discouraged by their short life span compared to Lake Trout and Rainbows.

51 minutes ago, maker a laker said:

Dave,

In the Sutton River, in Polar Bear Provincial Park, the speckles go steel head and spend much of their time feeding in Hudson Bay. When they return to spawn in late August, they are green in colour compared to the red/orange natives who live in the river all year. Same could happen if the tributaries to Lake O had an excess of speckles and a shortage of food, forcing them into the lake to forage. I don't think that has happened in our lifetime with all the migration obstacles and damage to habitat. Stocking them into Lake O may be discouraged by their short life span compared to Lake Trout and Rainbows.

This fish was lifted in the fall at Streetville on the Credit in both 2008 and 2009, Craig Ritchie also photographed one jumping at the Humber, BTW Dad worked on the Mid Canada Line at Winisk in 1958, seen a few old Kodachromes of them fish  

searun_zpsddc77erf.jpg.c865ae6b90bc92d16e0a0b1773151053.jpg

post-9-1222547471_zpszdwwfxok.jpg.1d5164f72970809a5a1cec29d2e45081.jpg

We caught a few of the ocean run brookies when we fished the Sutton a few years ago.  Purple hue to them, really nice looking fish.   I'll see if I can find some pics.   The problem I see with coaster brookies in Lake Ontario is spawning habitat or the lack thereof.    No doubt there are some swimming around out there, but I doubt it's some to put much effort into.