Feel Good Moment

DanD

I was going to visit my sister this morning; it was about 11:30 and decided to grab a burger at Micky D's before heading to St. Thomas. This Mc Donald's shares the lot in a small mall. As I pulled into the lot, I saw a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk. He was holding a cardboard sign, that said "I'm hungry can you help?" I didn't think much of it and went on to the drive-through and ordered my burger and fries. As I was driving out I saw that this homeless man was now laying down, all curled up into a ball. I stopped and went over and asked him; if he was ok. He sat up and said that he was hungry. I went to my truck and gave him my burger. He gave me a very sincere thank you and a handshake. I have never even thought of doing this before, but it felt good that I may have helped someone.

Dan...

• Like 9

It looks like there's not a lot of interest in this thread, and I understand. Homeless people have a stigma associated with them. They're all drug addicts or lazy assed people, but not all of them; we all could try and (IF they want help) help. I have to tell you about what my sister has been doing for the last 4 years. I didn't even know about it until yesterday; this is after I explained my parking lot deal with the homeless man. She and her husband have been going to thrift, secondhand, and places like Value Village stores buying knitted sweaters, blankets anything that the yarn can be pulled from and taken apart. With this yarn she makes toques, in three different sizes; baby, young kid, and adult. When done she places them in plastic grocery bags, with 50 hats in each. My brother (in-law) then takes the bags to places like the women's shelter, homeless, and the Salvation Army. This year's count hit 1500+ toques, other years were 1000-1200. My Sister Andrea never goes to make these donations, she's just happy seeing people wearing her toques. Toques that can be seen worn around St. Thomas. I am so proud of these two mid 70 year old's doing something to help others and not wanting any recognition for it.

Thread dedicated to Andrea and Edgar. My family my heroes.

Dan...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DanD said:

It looks like there's not a lot of interest in this thread, and I understand. Homeless people have a stigma associated with them. They're all drug addicts or lazy assed people, but not all of them; we all could try and (IF they want help) help. I have to tell you about what my sister has been doing for the last 4 years. I didn't even know about it until yesterday; this is after I explained my parking lot deal with the homeless man. She and her husband have been going to thrift, secondhand, and places like Value Village stores buying knitted sweaters, blankets anything that the yarn can be pulled from and taken apart. With this yarn she makes toques, in three different sizes; baby, young kid, and adult. When done she places them in plastic grocery bags, with 50 hats in each. My brother (in-law) then takes the bags to places like the women's shelter, homeless, and the Salvation Army. This year's count hit 1500+ toques, other years were 1000-1200. My Sister Andrea never goes to make these donations, she's just happy seeing people wearing her toques. Toques that can be seen worn around St. Thomas. I am so proud of these two mid 70 year old's doing something to help others and not wanting any recognition for it.

Thread dedicated to Andrea and Edgar. My family my heroes.

Dan...

I'm one of the ones who is torn between sympathy and an attitude that they made their bed, they can sleep in it.. a good number that live in the tent cities are stealing from the homes around them to try to make a buck..thieves are something I loathe... my mom had us 3 kids and we were very close to homelessness a few times..thankfully we were offered a place to sleep at family or friends places until we had a place of our own and that kept us out of shelters.. she worked her arse off to make a better life for us and eventually the tide turned.. of course everyone has different circumstances 

I'm not saying to give a hand out to just anyone; but take a few minutes to listen to them, listen to about how they got to their state. I don't know if I received even 75% of the truth from the guy, I found curled up under the blanket, but it was enough to make me want to help this kid.

When I was applying for a position at Seniors for Seniors, I had to have my fingerprints taken and checked at the police station. While waiting in the parking lot for the station to open (Yes the Police station is closed to the public as if it were a grocery store????). I watched people coming out of the shadows. Folding their tents and sleeping bags; gathering whatever possessions they had and walking away? Man some of them looked scary as crap (I locked my truck's doors) others were very nice, giving a wave and hello.

What's the right thing to do I DON'T KNOW????    

Dan...

Some you can and some you can’t. Some you want to help the most are the ones you can’t help at all.  

One of my best friends was born with a difficulty. He was adopted when he was very young.    Most of the time he was good to hang out with.  He liked fishing a lot.  I took him all over fishing.  We caught a ton of fish.  I’m glad I could help him enjoy life.  Sometimes People with troubles don’t last too long. His parents thanked me at his funeral.  

I catch one for him every year.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I always try to help when and where I can but you do have to be careful. Not too long ago there was an influx of people begging outside local grocery stores. They had signs with things like " have 5 children, need food medicen,  please help". It was pretty obvious they weren't locals but I  saw many people donating cash. I later saw a van going around picking them up and I suspect taking them back to where ever they came from but it was an organized group. I try to donate to things like the Legion poppy fund every year all the funds go to help vetrins and their families, I usually drop into our local branch and give them a cheque and you do get a tax deductible receipt. Womens shelter, Salvation Army.... 

Started years ago donating to a couple of charities.  I set it up so $10/mt gets automatically taken from my account and sent to Sick Kids and WWF.  It’s not much but I think it’s something we all should take part in.  Maybe with this post some of you will follow the same and pick a charity that means something to you and give back.

I came home from work one day and just down the road from me there was a guy in an electric wheelchair scooter just sitting in the road ,so I pulled in my driveway walked down and asked if he  had a problem . he said the battery died so I pushed him up to my driveway grab the extension cord and plugged him in then he asked if I had something he could drink. I said water or maybe a coke in the fridge. What no beer, would you have some rum for the coke   maybe. No. Sorry

While I wait for my scooter to charge would you happen to have an extra smoke.  I don’t smoke but I may be able to get you one. ok I’ll have that coke too while you’re at it 
Charged him up and he left
Two Days later there he was  sitting in my driveway he says do you think you could charge up my battery again it’s a little low. Yeah sure I can do that’s no problem . Great thanks and could I have a cigarette and a Coke if you got one. No they’re not home today so I wouldn’t be able to get your cigarette I’ll see if I have a Coke. And I charged him up and off he went. The next day as I’m getting home there he is in my driveway already plugged in smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer. Seems my neighbour helped him out. Plugged him into my hydro and give him a beer and a cigarette ..and off he went . I talked to my neighbour ,I remove the extension cord and I was done helping this guy out. I don’t mind helping someone but I’m not going to enable him or let him take advantage of me 

Some people need help, others want everything they can get for free

• Like 6

I have to reply and it's not that I don't care, because I do.  But way back when I worked downtown TO with HH there was a homeless guy I took into Tim's on average 1 time a week to warm up (winter wise) and have a bite to eat and a beverage.  He was over the top look wise like an addict but every day I spoke to him he was stone sober or could fake it like a pro!  I wanted to ensure he was safe and warm one REALLY bad cold night that was coming I gave him the winter jacket off my back to make sure I seen him again in the next few days.  He refuesed to take it and so did I to take it back.  He took it in the end.  I called him 'knuckles' due to his hand tattoos.  He was around and safe a few days after that cold snap and still had the jacket and he made sure he opened the door for me when he seen me.  I told him he doesn't owe me and doesn't need to do that, he said he sure does.  That's the one thing I miss about TO, knuckles and HH (in no order for HH to be offeneded, lol ;) )

A moment in time for those that can is and can be volumes to those that are trying or can't.  

I'm always watching, willing to help when and where I can and I hope there are many otheres out there who think that way too.  No, I am FAR from a RICH man but as a former Queen's York Ranger, nobody is left behind.  

Edited by GBW
  • Like 2

I think we all have a story, positive or negative, helping our fellow man. I once offered help to a homeless man on James N. in Hamilton and he tried to rob me. I didn't let that stop trying to help others less fortunate. It feels good. I once had a close pal that ended up homeless, great job at Ford Oakville and a great family with 2 teen sons. Drugs, it happens, he never wanted help he wanted cash or stuff for crack. every time I saw him he'd hit me up for a 20. I had to change my schedule because he would be looking for me the same or very next day. He's dead now, made it to 55. 

• Like 1

Good for you guys who choose to help. Everyone has a story and nobody wants to live on the streets. something has happened to these people to cause their lives to fall apart and I’ve heard from many that it is very, very difficult to break that chain and get back on top.

I used to be the sorry no change guy because I felt it was just going to be used to buy booze or dope, but maybe they ARE hungry. Now I give. What’s giving a few bucks I’m gonna piss away anyway?? Do I really need it? 

• Like 2