Smokercraft/starcraft Freedom 16

porkpie

While I’ve enjoyed my Superfisherman 18 for a good few years, I’m considering dropping down to a slightly smaller tow vehicle and a bit smaller boat.  A 16 tiller is nothing new to me, but I’ve spent the last 6 years in a big console boat so I’d like the roomiest 16 tiller I can find with an internal tank.  I’m taking a good look at the smoker/starcraft freedom at 16’11” and 89 inches wide.  Anyone run one of these?  How do you like it?  Comments, thoughts etc.  I’m looking at brand new.  Unless someone is thinking of selling a less than 3 year old model and just happens to have one of these for sale.  Thanks!

The Freedom 16 is a really nice boat. You might also want to look at Starcraft's Storm 166 T, which is very close in size but has a different interior arrangement with an elevated front casting deck (the Freedom is flat from bow to transom). The bow deck in the 166 T is perhaps a little bit larger, and the hull has a bit more flare up front so you may find it a bit drier if you're running in a good chop.

There's also a 166 T Pro, which is the same boat but with an in-floor rod locker in the bow deck. 

I've driven both the Freedom and the 166 T, and to be perfectly honest the biggest difference is the raised bow deck in the 166 T. If you spend a lot of time casting, it's something to seriously consider. Otherwise, they're both great boats.

The freedoms are killer if your looking for a great utility boat. I almost bought an 18fter last year but rebuilt my 16 WB instead. I should have, because the price now is rediculous! Great boats though! I know your a starcaft fan, and you know you can't go wrong! 

S. 

Thanks for the input all.  Craig, I was attracted to the lack of casting deck.  I’m a troller through and through so most casting is a total afterthought to me.  I’m also a hunter and have a huge diver rig that hasn’t seen the light of day for a few years but my boys are getting more and more into hunting year over year so I expect it’ll be back in service eventually.  Sinker, the starcrafts are a heck of a hull, to be sure!  Thanks for the input.  I have to find the right setup but it’s at the top of my list.  Shag, boats are hard to come by, but some of the utility style are a little more readily available!  Nonetheless I do have a tin banger on standby so if I happen to sell and have to wait a bit I won’t be without a ride.  A couple good buddy’s have fully rigged boats also so I won’t be temporarily stranded on the big lakes either.

Edited by porkpie

21 minutes ago, Moosebunk said:

Was all over the Alumacraft, Lund and StarCraft websites two nights ago looking at tillers and such.  The StarCrafts are beauty boats and well priced by comparison.

and did you find any for sale in Eastern Ontario?  My local dealer could NOT order a Starcraft for me for 2022, there were none to  to he had.

Doug

Edited by akaShag

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

and did you find any for sale in Eastern Ontario?  My local dealer could NOT order a Starcraft for me for 2022, there were none to  to he had.

Doug

Maybe its your local dealer? I havent tried, but I almost bought one last year. It was in stock, on site. 

S. 

27 minutes ago, Sinker said:

Maybe its your local dealer? I havent tried, but I almost bought one last year. It was in stock, on site. 

S. 

I see that a dealer does have one or two in stock, a bit of a hike for me to go, but it's actually THERE!  😉