What size outboard?

pike slayer

On 3/14/2022 at 6:49 PM, pike slayer said:

Just priced the 25hp it’s in my price range power tilt is special order and they said I’d be lucky to even get one in 2023. Looks like I’ll be getting the 25hp with just e-start

I owned a new 14' Lund (SSV-14) and matched a 20 hp tiller Honda 4 stroke to it.  The Honda 20 had pwr tilt/trim.

Now I may be wrong and am here to learn.  But you've described your "home" lake as rocky and lots of submerged reefs, etc, making for treacherous navigation.  With my Honda 20 tilt/trim the motor was basically locked down, unable to "flip up" if/when it hit an object.  In my two trips into ONT (Missinaibi Lake and White Lake) it scared the bejusus outta me to not be able to flip up, risking the entire lower unit somewhere remote.

I sold the rig after a year, thinking my next boat buy will be tiller with no tilt/trim for this  reason.

Thoughts? ?

11 hours ago, NSXNeal said:

I owned a new 14' Lund (SSV-14) and matched a 20 hp tiller Honda 4 stroke to it.  The Honda 20 had pwr tilt/trim.

Now I may be wrong and am here to learn.  But you've described your "home" lake as rocky and lots of submerged reefs, etc, making for treacherous navigation.  With my Honda 20 tilt/trim the motor was basically locked down, unable to "flip up" if/when it hit an object.  In my two trips into ONT (Missinaibi Lake and White Lake) it scared the bejusus outta me to not be able to flip up, risking the entire lower unit somewhere remote.

I sold the rig after a year, thinking my next boat buy will be tiller with no tilt/trim for this  reason.

Thoughts? ?

That's an excellent point I never would have thought of having never owned a power trim engine, so my knowledge is limited.  I never lock down my outboards unless I was back trolling into a good wind.  Nothing bigger than 20hp. I definitely will admit to having more than once being forced to quickly lift it out of the water as an unexpected hump magically appeared while exploring new runs on windy days.

Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smitty55 said:

That's an excellent point I never would have thought of having never owned a power trim engine, so my knowledge is limited.  I never lock down my outboards unless I was back trolling into a good wind.  Nothing bigger than 20hp. I definitely will admit to having more than once being forced to quickly lift it out of the water as an unexpected hump magically appeared while exploring new runs on windy days.

Cheers

same here.  But I "need" power tilt on my next rig.  My back is getting crankier, and pulling up the motor to recover the boat at the launch is very unkind to my creaky old back.  The motor is a 40 hp Honda and weighs about 400 pounds if memory serves me.........  So I can buy a new prop or a new lower unit if I spank a shoal, but I can't get a replacement spine...........🙄

Ok a few things from my experience. A 25 yammie will troll as slow as any other sized outboard, with ease, smooth as can be, and quieter than the water pumping out of it, ALL DAY, no problem.  The digital troll control is SWEET! 

ALWAYS get the max HP. Did i mention ALWAYS? 

I opted to get the lift assist with my 40 yammy (also a 16ft boat). Like said, I don't want my engine locked down while I'm in shallow water, or running unknown lakes. The beauty of lift assist is I can hit neutral, and push down on the tiller handle with one finger, and up comes my engine, then I can lock it in shallow drive and idle along until I know I'm safe. I use it TONS. Especially duck hunting. You can't run at speed that way, but if your on plane, you don't want to be trimmed up that high anyways. 

• Like 2