Orillia perch festival

glen

Dang I just remembered the time three of us went out in my car topper. We went around a point and a huge sheet of ice blew in and we had to boat around it to get back in.  Waves coming in. Nothing but jeans on.  

The company that did the "app" last year told the organizer that they didn't have time to help him this year, so that wasn't an option for them and it was too late to scramble to make the event happen vs the other work they have ahead of them for other events this year.

20 minutes ago, irishfield said:

The company that did the "app" last year told the organizer that they didn't have time to help him this year, so that wasn't an option for them and it was too late to scramble to make the event happen vs the other work they have ahead of them for other events this year.

Still a lame excuse, anyway. Hopefully it runs again, but probably not. 

7 minutes ago, glen said:

I saw a tagged perch swimming around by the narrows years ago. Never caught one.  It was fun years ago.  Nice to get out that time of year for something.  

I caught one about a decade ago and my father in law won the boat a few years ago. It was a great festival when they allowed us to fish in the marinas where the perch actually were. Seems Orillia hated the tourist money, they seemed too be actively trying too ruin it for years. 

17 hours ago, Fisherman said:

1996, new boat, 2nd time out caught a $1000 perch, bought the wife a dishwasher.  Somebody up there was watching out for me.

Remember the time we were there catching perch after perch, and nobody around us was catching squat.  When we left it was just about fistfights for guys trying to get into "our" spot.  😁

Good memories for sure.

Doug

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, misfish said:

He had a great dock to fish from Doug. Lounge chair,thermos of java and a bucket for his catch. Then they put the bars up.

Miserable buggers,  and me than can't do acrobatics or pole vault.  I can remember way back there used to be quite a crew there and then just before ice out go crappie fishing in there after dark.  used to go smelting by Brentwood marina back in the day too. 

• Like 2

Funny how the perch locations changed. I started going to it in 2007 with my wife’s family, they had done it for years prior. We used too always sit just south of the main bridge with tons of other boats and slam the perch there. Then I think the construction started and it seems no one caught any out there anymore and it was all just in the marinas or under the bridge. I remember going to an island early on for them too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LefroyFisherman said:

Funny how the perch locations changed. I started going to it in 2007 with my wife’s family, they had done it for years prior. We used too always sit just south of the main bridge with tons of other boats and slam the perch there. Then I think the construction started and it seems no one caught any out there anymore and it was all just in the marinas or under the bridge. I remember going to an island early on for them too. 

Yes, used to try going south and east out of the Narrows towards the bay in McCrae Pt, sometimes there were some bruiser perch in there.

3 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Yes, used to try going south and east out of the Narrows towards the bay in McCrae Pt, sometimes there were some bruiser perch in there.

I have a 14.5 inch perch replica on my wall from around the cooch side of the marina, during the perch fest, was a monster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure you're right, I didn't have the 16' boat yet.

I think we might have been onboard my old Starcraft Holiday.  I know we were using those wire mesh fish baskets for the keepers.  Fun times!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Chong said:

It was very sad to hear about the event being cancelled! I'm going to talk to Doug Bunker from the Orillia Chamber of Commerce to get the real scoop. Hopefully they're good reasons!

If that works out, and if you are able to do so without betraying any confidences, perhaps you could post that here?

Doug