We got a new grocery store coming FARM BOY.

misfish

31 minutes ago, misfish said:

Farm Boy

Seems they are around alot of areas. First I have heard of them. Anyone shop at this store?  Your thoughts and experince with quality?

Thanks

Lots of them around Mr B. I have not been in one yet but their Director of Marketing is a friend. From what I have seen good quality products. Above NF or FB.

• Like 1

Brian I have a friend here in Oshawa who has a trailer on Stony Lake and he goes to the Peterborough Farm Boy all the time when he is up there.  Down here we got one in Whitby maybe 6-8 years ago. I checked it out a couple of times and was not impressed  with there prices. He has the same opinion of the Whitby store. I guess all you can do is have a look for yourself. My opinion was the quality of all the produce and meat seemed really good but again no bargains.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misfish said:

Those places are not hard to beat buddy. I have been bulk buying Costco and vac pack.

A serving of roasted peppers, supresata (italian homemade salami) some olives, crusty bread and a glass of red wine. Lunch for about $2.00 and I know what I put in it. As soon as they say ORGANIC in front of a product YOU PAY dearly. 

Edited by ketchenany
  • Like 1

I have been shopping at Farmboy in Peterborough for years mostly for my meat. I watch for the specials like $7.99 for prime rib steaks or roasts and load up on them and vac seal. I have never been disappointed with the quality or the selection. Wish we had one in lindsay.

• Like 1

I go out of my way to get quality every few months. Today was a trip to Brante meats and then Starskys.

While at Starskys,I see stocks of stuff being put in shopping carts. One brand of Salsa I like, was being put in one of the carts. I asked if it was out dated. NO,IT,S RUSSIAN, and we are pulling all Russian products off the selves. This was going on in every isle. I responded with,ok. I was worried I might get swarmed if I had a Russian product in my cart.

I will let ya all know how my visit goes, once the new store opens up here. It is really in a weird location. It use to be Bath and Beyond on Byrne Dr.

7 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

I watch for the specials like $7.99 for prime rib steaks or roasts and load up on them and vac seal. I have never been disappointed with the quality or the selection. Wish we had one in lindsay.

I stock up at Food4Less on Prime Rib steaks when I see them as they are always priced the best and taste great!  

18 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

It’s a very good quality store. Prices are a little high. Nice fresh meats and produce. But it’s not a full grocery store. (No Toilet paper, paper towels, cleaners etc.) so food only. Nice deli. They are aggressively growing. We’re getting a 3rd near us

Agree 100%. We've gone in there a few times and found that the produce was very fresh, but as others have said, don't be looking for deals. Last week I went into the one store close to home, I wanted canned tomatoes. All they had was one selection of tomatoes. Wasn't happy with the price but bought it because I was there. After making up a batch of Creole sauce with the tomatoes I was very pleased. They had a great taste, as close to fresh I have ever found in a can. Can't remember the brand name, but the label was mostly black with a pic of a whole peeled tomato on it? 

Dan...

2 hours ago, DanD said:

Agree 100%. We've gone in there a few times and found that the produce was very fresh, but as others have said, don't be looking for deals. Last week I went into the one store close to home, I wanted canned tomatoes. All they had was one selection of tomatoes. Wasn't happy with the price but bought it because I was there. After making up a batch of Creole sauce with the tomatoes I was very pleased. They had a great taste, as close to fresh I have ever found in a can. Can't remember the brand name, but the label was mostly black with a pic of a whole peeled tomato on it? 

Dan...

I wonder if they are marketing to those who stop at the store on the way home from work or those who pick up fresh food every few days as opposed to those who shop weekly. We shop every 3 days or so because we found food waste was too high. 

• Like 1

Farm Boy is owned by Empire Company since 2018. Empire also own Sobies, Longos, Foodland and a bunch of others. Also Grocery Gateway and Voila delivery services.

Like Farm Boy for fruit and veg, some meat and baked goods. Seems like they have some of the freshest produce and partly because its a much smaller store and you can get around it faster. However, I'm sure that it's same sources as Sobies etc. Still buy staples and canned goods elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it opened on the 31st of March. I had already heard some reviews. Expensive and whats with the farm boy thing. Decided to check it out today. Grab a cart, wipe the handle down and start viewing for my own point of view. After about a 15 minute tour,I walked right through the closed  til with my cart. EMPTY.  Parked it and off I went.

My biggest peeve of all was,all the products named FarmBoy. WTH is with that? Who makes this product? Like, almost 90% of the stock in that place is marked,FarmBoy. It was a real turn off for me I have to say.

I will fill the Ram up with petro, and do my monthly trip down to Starskys for my fav groceries.35 minute drive and everything you ever need.  plus there are other great places with,n minutes to get great foods as well.

FARM BOY, Not for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Well it opened on the 31st of March. I had already heard some reviews. Expensive and whats with the farm boy thing. Decided to check it out today. Grab a cart, wipe the handle down and start viewing for my own point of view. After about a 15 minute tour,I walked right through the closed  til with my cart. EMPTY.  Parked it and off I went.

My biggest peeve of all was,all the products named FarmBoy. WTH is with that? Who makes this product? Like, almost 90% of the stock in that place is marked,FarmBoy. It was a real turn off for me I have to say.

I will fill the Ram up with petro, and do my monthly trip down to Starskys for my fav groceries.35 minute drive and everything you ever need.  plus there are other great places with,n minutes to get great foods as well.

FARM BOY, Not for me.

Since it's an Empire owned store I would think that the products with the Farm Boy labels are actually the same as the Sobeys store brand stuff.. in other words it's pretty much what you can get at Freshco for much less.. they have beautiful stores and some consumers only shop in those types of places .. I'm cheap so I don't really care what the place looks like as long as it's clean..

• Like 4