Be weryweryquiet

misfish

I remember those smelt trips from Sudbury (Garson actually) to Britt when I was a kid, netting smelts at night.  Then taking a bucket home and gutting them in the morning, frying a bunch up for dinner.  Good stuff.  Much better fresh, compared to frozen, although I eat them frozen every once in a while when I see them and get a craving.

The first time I tried the fried anchovies in Italy, I realized how similar they are to smelt when they are fresh.  

• Like 1

Oh I would love to get out smelt fishing again, we use to go down to Wellend and fish them through the ice but I haven't been in a very long time. All we used was some red wool on the hook, most of what we caught didn't have the hook, their teeth were just tangled in the wool. So much fun and great eating 😊

• Like 2

I can remember going smelt fishing when I was a kid. It was either at Fishers Glen or in Normandale. Both these creeks (Villages) were between Port Dover and Turkey Point on Lake Erie.  A community bonfire on the beach, where everyone was invited. Two-man dragnets out off the beach and dipnets in the creek. Most everyone shared their catch, once their own buckets or bushels were full. The smelt were so thick in the streams, that I remember walking into the stream (I was 10 or 11 then) with my rubber boots (crap kickers) on, up to my knees in water; with the boots only as high as my shins. Walked out with a couple of dozen smelts in my boots. LOL My Dad who didn't fish would always come with us and most times was the most popular guy on the beach. He'd have a bunch of paper grocery bags with him. My brothers would bring him a pail of smelts, that dad would clean and wash in the creek. He'd then tear the bags into strips that could hold a handful of smelts and wrap the smelts in the paper tightly. He would then rake the fire to one side and drop a number of the packets down on the bottom of the raked fire. Before the paper could catch fire he'd cover them with glowing coals. Waited  5 or so minutes and uncover the packets. The paper was a bit burnt on the edges, but inside was the best cooked/steamed smelt you would have ever eaten. Dad and both my brothers are gone now, but these memories keep them alive for me!!!

Dan...

• Like 6

As a boy, we would go out to Lake Huron somewhere along the shoreline when the smelt were "running" and catch them with just about anything - cattle feed bags, for example - and there would be a bonfire on the beach and a honkin' big frying pan, and people were frying up fresh smelts.  Some of the smelt got cleaned first, and some actually got cooked before they were eaten.  As a lad, it seemed like a wonderful adventure.

Fast forward to my teenage years.  We heard the smelt were running, and a bunch of us went to a patch of Lake Huron shoreline with some feed bags, a logging chain to act as a bottom drag, and since we did not own waders, we wrapped our legs and shoes in black plastic garbage bags.  Alcohol may have been involved.  Everybody got soaked to the ass, no smelt were caught, and if memory serves me, somebody got some wieners and we had a wiener roast on the bonfire as we tried to dry our soaking wet clothes and shoes.  Good times!

• Like 3

When kids,we dipped at the 4 sisters. We were young,s, but we knew pop and all the byes were having a fun time.LMAO

That would be 50 years ago. Old wooden pier at the skimmer .

Many years later,I was hip deep drifting salties at that same skimmer for winter browns.

Edited by misfish