Big Walleye on Nipissing

BassMan11

Hey guys,

Got out with an outfitter for a couple days on the south shore of Nipissing. Fishing was.... beyond slow. Having Panoptix and really seeing how fish are reacting, I don't know if I marked more than 2 walleye the entire 2 days. Lots of Cisco's around though. But that is fishing I guess. Anyway we moved out of our bungalow for a while to a day hut in a little deeper water and hooked up with this guy.

1101405476_Walleye(2).jpg.83a96a4858488c1ca83e160bca619693.jpg

My face says it all. Luckily there was a measuring tape on the wall. 31" and what i'd have to assume is over 10lbs. Not a lot of fish were caught but a memory of a lifetime for me and my Dad.

Cheers

BM11

• Like 9

That's a great fish for sure!!!!

Times sure have changed though 30-40 years ago, that wasn't an abnormal fish for Nip! It is a good sign though, that they've had a chance to grow and hopefully reproduce. Again, it is a good sign that Nipissing is on its way back to being the great fishery that it once used to be. Let's just hope that the ministry can keep a handle (If possible) on commercial and (Continue with our support) with sport fishers on the road back? Be proud of that fish you have worked for it!!!

Dan.  

Edited by DanD
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Big Walleye by all accounts I think. I will say I am not sure I catch that fish without Panoptix to be honest. It was only a subtle change in my presentation that I feel changed the fishes mood into biting, which you could visibly see on the graph. I know everyone wants Livescope but I have the regular PS-22 transducer (cheaper) and actually like it better. The sonar returns are larger and better suited for deepwater lake trout jigging. I have learned more about fish and their behavior in the last year with that technology than in the last 10. Its truly a game changer when it comes to any jigging application. 

Cheers everyone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BassMan11 said:

Thanks guys. Big Walleye by all accounts I think. I will say I am not sure I catch that fish without Panoptix to be honest. It was only a subtle change in my presentation that I feel changed the fishes mood into biting, which you could visibly see on the graph. I know everyone wants Livescope but I have the regular PS-22 transducer (cheaper) and actually like it better. The sonar returns are larger and better suited for deepwater lake trout jigging. I have learned more about fish and their behavior in the last year with that technology than in the last 10. Its truly a game changer when it comes to any jigging application. 

Cheers everyone.

Been absolutely blown away with how much the livescope has helped with the lakers this year. For us the big difference has been seeing the fish 30 feet out and being able to react and prepare to reel once the fish makes its move. What you get that you don’t with a flasher is that typically by the time they show up on the flasher they are already at your bait. We’ve been reacting as the fish swims up from the side and seemingly the fish are reacting perfectly to it.

perhaps the proof is definitely in the pudding, my father really had difficulty reacting and playing trout last year on the flasher, he ended up skunked the entire winter. Switched the panoptix and he’s caught 4 trout in two trips.