Ottawa Truckers Rally

I was in Ottawa over the weekend visiting my daughter at Ottawa U and was staying in a condo right in the the eye of the storm (Cumberland and Besserer) of the truckers rally.  I cannot say I 100% agree with everything they were about but I will tell you this.  I did find them very friendly, and I did not see any violence, looting, vandalism, or criminal activity (other than the odd beer in hand).  We went for a skate on the canal and walked the whole length of the protest and did a skate and on the way back did a walk through the market and back to the condo.  The restaurants were doing amazing business in the area (we got take out as well on Sat night) and were happy to support the rally.  

Once there I turned on the news and they were reporting on vandalism, thefts of food and threats!!??  Regardless if I agree with the truckers or not the rally was peaceful witnessed first hand the manipulation of the media to their own benefit.  

DRlg1qd.jpg

UE3XeRX.jpg

Edited by 410001661
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, 410001661 said:

I was in Ottawa over the weekend visiting my daughter at Ottawa U and was staying in a condo right in the the eye of the storm (Cumberland and Besserer) of the truckers rally.  I cannot say I 100% agree with everything they were about but I will tell you this.  I did find them very friendly, and I did not see any violence, looting, vandalism, or criminal activity (other than the odd beer in hand).  We went for a skate on the canal and walked the whole length of the protest and did a skate and on the way back did a walk through the market and back to the condo.  The restaurants were doing amazing business in the area (we got take out as well on Sat night) and were happy to support the rally.  

Once there I turned on the news and they were reporting on vandalism, thefts of food and threats!!??  Regardless if I agree with the truckers or not the rally was peaceful witnessed first hand the manipulation of the media to their own benefit.  

DRlg1qd.jpg

UE3XeRX.jpg

I totally support the rally in principal, I do believe that we are being manipulated by the media and they are reporting the negative incidents for a reason (try 600 million reasons, Canadian with a brain will know what I mean here). Our rights and freedoms are being taken away from us little by little in the name of the "common good". The funny thing is, not one person I have talked to agrees with it yet here we are and we are constantly being told (it's for the COMMON good).

I put a post on FB expressing a view, it was my own personal opinion, FB took it down, it wasn't in keeping with THEIR policies. I didn't use foul language, I didn't make a threat against anyone, I just expressed my opinion/view. Censorship at it's finest, wouldn't want to allow a negative view would we?

I think this is just the beginning, I think we are going to see protests like this more and more in the future, heck it's already happening all over the world. Covid isn't fun, it isn't easy, heck it's even killing people but all the shots,, boosters, lock downs, limitations...... aren't stopping it. Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results and yet we keep doing it!

This will probably get locked, I guess it's sort of political in a sense, sad, we have a lot of members and I think sharing our feelings, frustration and views here is a way for us to communicate our thoughts and feelings, learn about why we feel the way we do and try to understand others point of view.

• Like 2

I refuse to put on winter tires because:
• It’s my car, my choice, my freedom.
• The effectiveness of winter tires is not proven, except by studies carried out by the manufacturers (like I’m supposed to trust them).
• My neighbor Bob had an accident even after putting on winter tires.
• Some drivers are already on their 3rd set of tires, which proves their ineffectiveness.
• We do not know what the tires are made of.
• The tire manufacturers scare us with winter just to enrich themselves.
• In fact, I read on the internet that the tire giants invented snow and spread it at night when you sleep.
• If I have winter tires, the government can track me in the snow.

Educate yourself, open your eyes, stop being sheep!

This year, I say no to winter tires!

HH

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

To me  this is like Woodstock. Everyone involved or not involved will think back to this and remember where they were when it happened and everybody will have their own little stories about the 2022 Canadian convoy. But at the end of the day I truly don't believe it will effect any kind of change.  I just feel bad for anyone in the area who might be having a hard time dealing with this as it is playing out.

• Like 7

Nope......no manipulation of the media whatsoever !! 

Storming the food shelter for the homeless and demanding food TRUE STORY !!

Storming the rideau center refusing to wear masks TRUE STORY !!

Honking their horns at all hours of the night without any care whatsoever of parents with babies

or young childern trying to sleep TRUE STORY !!

Causing traffic choas for ppl trying to get to work or drop their kids off at daycare   etc TRUE STORY!!

Harrassing downtown residents who are wearing masks TRUE STORY !!

Restaurants doing amazing buisness ?????? Are you kidding ???

From who ??? The truckers who refuse to wear a mask = They can't enter !!

Most of the restaurants are CLOSED !!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:28 PM, woodenboater said:

Any rally that has Swastikas flying proudly, loses any support from me. How hard would it have been for organizers to send them packing. This gave a black eye to the protest and any sympathy they might have gotten. don't get me started on what they did at the War Memorial...

So educate me about that.  I was there and saw the war memorial - nothing defaced nothing damaged.  As far as the swastikas.........I was in and out of the entire rally all weekend and never saw a one.  I did see 3 conf flags.  

To put it in perspective there was about 16,000 people there and I saw 3 conf flags.  That works out to be 0.00018% of the people at that rally - so you would dismiss something because of that stat?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

Nope......no manipulation of the media whatsoever !! 

Storming the food shelter for the homeless and demanding food TRUE STORY !!

Storming the rideau center refusing to wear masks TRUE STORY !!

Honking their horns at all hours of the night without any care whatsoever of parents with babies

or young childern trying to sleep TRUE STORY !!

Causing traffic choas for ppl trying to get to work or drop their kids off at daycare   etc TRUE STORY!!

Harrassing downtown residents who are wearing masks TRUE STORY !!

Restaurants doing amazing buisness ?????? Are you kidding ???

From who ??? The truckers who refuse to wear a mask = They can't enter !!

Most of the restaurants are CLOSED !!

Said the guy that watched it on TV and read the newspapers.  I WAS THERE........just because you do not agree with them do not discredit them.  I do not agree with 3/4 of what they stand for but seeing what I witnessed and watching what was reported on the news were polar opposites.  Just because you want to believe it and feel that it could be true does not make it the truth.  These are great stories, unfortunately not facts.  

Do not believe everything you read The restaurants were open to take out - I know this as a FACT because I ordered take out on Friday night and again on Sat night (once on Rideau Street and Dalhousie and one in the Byward market).  I wore a mask in the mall, in stores, at the LCBO and when required and nothing was said to me or my family.  This was over the weekend so I do not understand about the daycare thing.  I was 1 block away from Rideau Street (Cumberland and Besserer) and slept with the window cracked open a tad because it was hot and the noise died down after 11 - and I was about the closest condo there was to the rally.  

Edited by 410001661
  • Like 5

Almost any protest some punks show up just to cause problems and in most cases they have nothing to do with the actual group and from what I saw that seems to be the case here 

I saw videos of the truck drivers cleaning up messes and stopping punks from causing trouble.  
the mainstream media has a agenda based on political views and can no longer be trusted 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• Spiel locked this topic