More ice bugs

misfish

Well, I have tried those bugs a couple of times for lakers. First time I went with great expectations hoping to catch that 15, going on 20, lb one that my bud caught 2 weeks ago. Not a nibble. My bud had his tipped with a full minnow so I tried that as well as bare bug. I have let it sit on the bottom and jigged(jug?) it sometimes. Not a nibble on Tue either.  A few tips, maybe?? If I don't catch anything, or at least get a nibble, on the next couple of tries I am going to have to return them for my money back guarantee!!😁  

7 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Well, I have tried those bugs a couple of times for lakers. First time I went with great expectations hoping to catch that 15, going on 20, lb one that my bud caught 2 weeks ago. Not a nibble. My bud had his tipped with a full minnow so I tried that as well as bare bug. I have let it sit on the bottom and jigged(jug?) it sometimes. Not a nibble on Tue either.  A few tips, maybe?? If I don't catch anything, or at least get a nibble, on the next couple of tries I am going to have to return them for my money back guarantee!!😁  

Are you using it as a dropper, or your main lure?  I think the effectiveness of a dropper is sometimes a fish wants a snack, not a meal.  The bottom lure catches their attention, and the bug gets the bite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Maybe your friend lucked out, they are perch baits after all.LOL

8 hours ago, misfish said:

Maybe your friend lucked out, they are perch baits after all.LOL

Maybe. I first heard of a Simcoe bug about 3 weeks ago when a guy on another site(LSO) who lives near Haliburton posted pix of good sized lakers that he caught on a bug. That's why I tried to find out more about them. 

We were fishing 60-80 ft so it was taking forever to sink, even with braid. When it finally reached the bottom it was so light I could not feel it so I added a sinker about a ft or so up. That may have ruined the action. This guy apparently uses very light line---4 lb----to catch good sized lakers. Takes finesse, I guess.

In Muskoka my bud also caught a 4 1/2 lb laker on the same bug earlier in the day, so not a fluke I guess.

8 hours ago, akaShag said:

Are you using it as a dropper, or your main lure?  I think the effectiveness of a dropper is sometimes a fish wants a snack, not a meal.  The bottom lure catches their attention, and the bug gets the bite.

Thx, but I don't really understand what you are describing.  I am not sure what you mean by a dropper in this case. Are you saying that you use a lure or minnow at the end of the line and a bug further up?

34 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Thx, but I don't really understand what you are describing.  I am not sure what you mean by a dropper in this case. Are you saying that you use a lure or minnow at the end of the line and a bug further up?

Exactly.  Misfish posted a link to a video of a guy showing the set-up.  If I can find that reply I will re-post it here.  But basically your fly is like a drop-shot rig, with a heavier lure a foot or so below it.  For Simcoe, maybe a Meegs with an ice bug up 18 inches kind of thing for lakers and whities.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Drop Shot Rig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Thx Brian. I have used a drop shot rig on other occasions/situations with just a sinker on the end. I just was not sure what akaShag was describing. He has now clarified. thx to both of you. I might give those Meegs a try as well. 

White tubes and swim baits dead stick. Same as Simcoe. If your using a finder that is. Once you see one coming up for the bait,start reeling til it smashes the bait.

So you are suggesting tube/swimbait on a dropshot on a dead stick? With my set-up my dead stick is usually 30-50 ft away.

I did a bit more 'research' and I think my odds are against me. The fish we usually catch have white flesh which means, as I understand it, that they are eating other fish rather than bugs or crustaceans. The guy on the other site who catches them in H'burton seems to catch mostly orange colored lakers. 

12 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

I did a bit more 'research' and I think my odds are against me. The fish we usually catch have white flesh which means, as I understand it, that they are eating other fish rather than bugs or crustaceans. The guy on the other site who catches them in H'burton seems to catch mostly orange colored lakers.

That has definitely been my experience as well, wrt colour of flesh.  But it is still worth putting a snack out there for the greys, and if you are fishing a lake where both lakers and whitefish are present, you may well catch a bonus whitie on the fly.

Doug

3 minutes ago, akaShag said:

That has definitely been my experience as well, wrt colour of flesh.  But it is still worth putting a snack out there for the greys, and if you are fishing a lake where both lakers and whitefish are present, you may well catch a bonus whitie on the fly.

Doug

Yeah, worth a try. Like the times you say to yourself--"Ah, I'm tired of eating fish. Maybe I'll snack on a few bugs" I am sure we all have had that thought, eh. 😉

3 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

So you are suggesting tube/swimbait on a dropshot on a dead stick? With my set-up my dead stick is usually 30-50 ft away.

Nope. Your tube or swim bait is your main bait,bottom of the line.

• Like 1