More ice bugs

misfish

An update---bud and I went to Lake X in Muskoka yesterday. Marking fish was a rare event except at my buds hole # 5, 6, or maybe 7 late in the day. He caught 3 or 4 small lakers on his Simcoe bug. He doesn't use a drop shot rig----just the bug with a pinhead minnow hooked thru the nose. Pinheads were all the shop had. The prev time he had done the same with a 2- 3" minnow.  I used a drop shot with a Meegs at the bottom tipped witha variety of things---3 or 4 pinheads, a chunk of worm, and other things. I had one of my bigger bugs tipped with a pinhead about 40 cm up the line. No takers, but then again very few lookers. I guess you can display all sorts of delectable goodies in your store front window but if there is nobody passing by to see them then you are SOL.

He is more patient than I am. It seems to take forever to sink 70 ft. It seemed even longer when I tried it with Berkley Ice line-----maybe that's a bit buoyant, not a true braid.

Maybe one more try next week on Lake Y.

BTW, he mentioned that his Simcoe bug had tungsten which I guess is quite heavy. Does your have tungsten or some other metal?

thx   

On 3/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, misfish said:

LEAD WRAPS AND BRASS BEAD

I will make tungsten next time.

Thx. I didn't know there was such a thing as lead wrap. I know a guy who was doing some DIY bugs and he was using copper wire, I think. I assumed that you had used it as well. I am guessing that tungsten heads are used mainly to get them to sink faster.

• 1 month later...