HumminBird Mapping Chip

Hey Everyone 

I recently got a new Humminbird Helix 7 G3N MSI as a Christmas gift. I've been doing some poking around for mapping information for my area. I mostly fish the Ottawa river, around Ottawa, petrie island to be specific. So far I've only really seen either Humminbird lakemaseter or Navionics, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a way to get a few specific areas on a chip for my unit. I ask because Navionics is expensive and only way to get it is for all of Canada and if I'm only going to use it for eastern ON and a bit in QC it's too much to justify. As for the humminbird lakemaster it is closer to my price range but then I'm limited to ON lakes and I do fish in QC enough that I would like to have lakes there mapped to if possible. I'm looking for eastern Ontario and south western Quebec. In Ontario I fish a lot in the Rideau river/lakes, Perth, Tay Valley, Lanark Highlands, Ottawa River areas and then in Quebec it'd be Gatineau river, Val-des Mont area. If it's not possible to get a chip specific to my area I'm going to go with the lakemaster chip but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone here has any tips. 

Thanks guys 

Unfortunately there is no such thing as Navionics "regions" in canada. You either buy the whole country or you dont.

Speaking from personal experience, Lakemaster Canada is literally completely garbage and a waste of money. In fact its outright dangerous to attempt to navigate with. I was actually in shock with how bad it is.

I personally would recommend looking at purchasing a used chip. Theres no need to neccesarily have the latest and greatest navionics chip, the ones that are 5+ years old are still super accurate for the majority of major bodies of water. Ive been using a chip thats close to 10 years old now for navigating without issue for years now. 

• Like 1

Hey Akrisoner 

Thanks for the info, that's kinda what I've concluded after doing research. Thanks for the tip on getting a used chip, I'll definitely be on the lookout for one. I mostly fish major water bodies anyways so an older chip will be just fine for me. Plus I've got autochart now so if I do come across an unmapped lake I can make my own mapping

Thanks 

Derek 

9 hours ago, Fishing613 said:

Hey Akrisoner 

Thanks for the info, that's kinda what I've concluded after doing research. Thanks for the tip on getting a used chip, I'll definitely be on the lookout for one. I mostly fish major water bodies anyways so an older chip will be just fine for me. Plus I've got autochart now so if I do come across an unmapped lake I can make my own mapping

Thanks 

Derek 

So with that particular unit, in order to autochart you will need a Humminbird zero lines card in order to record. Also a worthwhile investment specifically for fishing species that you like to target vertically.

i really liked the little chart I made of one of my favourite crappie basins

keep an eye on the bass boat central forums, the canada chart cards come up somewhat frequently (not as much recently with Americans not travelling) but lots of those guys have taken trips north and bought cards and then dump them