Simcoe ice Fishing. Where to start as a newbie?

captpierre

So Gents. 
Been retired now for the second winter. Spent last winter at St Mikes recovering from bypass surgery.  Good as new now.  Was thinking of being a Snowbird and fish the Florida saltwater. But  I’m thinking of taking up this hard water fishing. I’m 40 min from Simcoe. 

Not sure I want to spend $1-2k on tent shelter, power auger, flasher, heater etc.  Watched a bunch of YouTube videos. Was wondering if I should just rent a hut with some buds or hire a guide for a day? I have 3 ice fishing rods that the grandkids use for panfish off the dock. Was going to visit a local tackle shop in Keswick or Sutton and buy some recommended lures for perch.  And go out and try my luck on vacated drilled holes near shore around Virginia beach. 
Without shelter, would need to be a nice day.   I just want to get the feel of it. Then maybe buy some used equipment end of season. 
What do you guys think? 

I would defiantly go out with an operator that rented day huts, the first few times. This will/should give you enough of a feeling as to whether you actually like Ice fishing? An outfitter will supply you with transportation, bait, and a heated shelter. They upon request (if not already there) will drill holes outside the hut. You'll have the choice of fishing inside the hut or outside; depending on your preference; definitely try both. At the end of the day, there are no worries the hut operator will come and collect you and take you to shore. Yeah, it's a few bucks to rent a day hut, but I feel that for an inexperienced ice fisher, it's money well spent.  

Dan.

Edited by DanD
  • Like 3

I use to do my own thing, haul gear, drill holes.......... not any more. For the last several years I have been using Tim Hales. Huts are clean and warm, good safe parking, transportation too and from the huts, two burner colman stove, 12V  lights and USB port for charging your phone or what ever, unlimited pin head minnows included, and the only tackle I use is a drop shot rig or the odd time a small jig. Keep it simple and enjoy. Cost $60.00 per person cash only minimum two persons per hut week days 3 persons per hut weekends. If you want to hook up for a day out let me know, I could meet up with you at Beaverton and show you the ropes for a day. 

I have done my own thing for 40 years. Walk drill stand on ice.

A floater suit will keep you warm standing on ice along with 100 below boots ,head gear.

The truth about ice fishing is -25 The fishing sucks unless it's been -25 for a week or so.

I also did the big league heart surgery and have sold all walk out ,drill holes.

i've always rented huts every now and then. It's nothing like the do it yourself thing .

Youcan spend 20k in a heart beat on do it yourself so 20,0000 / 125 per day (gas money to get to Lake) hut rental looks cheat.

And the best thing if fishing sucks you just wave the white flag buddy comes takes you off lake.

You should never judge fishing on cost, judge on smiles only.

• Like 1

I would take a couple trips with an operator.  I’ve been heavily invested in ice fishing since I was a teenager, so I don’t mind maintaining all my own gear.  If I was just getting into it, I’d take the operator route and see if it was for me.  To be fair though, once you have a shelter, heater, auger and some gear you really don’t need to spend a whole lot more unless you want or need to buy an atv or snowmobile.  

• Like 1

Ya simcoe is a bit of a giant beast for a newbie to take on. 

i really find with ice fishing, the initial overhead is pretty steep but then after then there isn’t much cost at all unless you are trying to keep a snowmobile running. 

it’s definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than running a boat, electronics and gear.

for the most part ice rods are ice rods. You’re always fishing them the same way. Vertical. Pick your species and assign your rod power accordingly.

hand augers are cheap, and sharp blades in Ontario where the ice never gets too too thick are usually good enough. Maybe a little different if you need big holes for big lakers but that’s really starting to go beyond beginner status.

it doesn’t take much to go catch a few walleye, pike or Perch through the ice. No need to over complicate it.

Edited by AKRISONER

Go whatever route you are most comfortable with. The only thing I recommend is that if you are planning on walking out on your own at the very least invest in your own auger.  If you are only targeting perch a 4 inch hole is all you will need and man is it easy to cut a 4 inch hole. Myself I could not handle the frustration of looking for vacated open holes or having to bother someone close by to borrow their auger. Also to add I have always found the first light bite for perch to be the best bite of the day. I'm usually walking out in the dark and have holes drilled at my first spot as the sun is coming up and most days I'm coming off the ice well before noon with all the perch I care to take home.

11 minutes ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Go whatever route you are most comfortable with. The only thing I recommend is that if you are planning on walking out on your own at the very least invest in your own auger.  If you are only targeting perch a 4 inch hole is all you will need and man is it easy to cut a 4 inch hole. Myself I could not handle the frustration of looking for vacated open holes or having to bother someone close by to borrow their auger. Also to add I have always found the first light bite for perch to be the best bite of the day. I'm usually walking out in the dark and have holes drilled at my first spot as the sun is coming up and most days I'm coming off the ice well before noon with all the perch I care to take home.

So, if I eventually want to target whitefish, is a 6 inch hole adequate?  Can you recommend an auger brand?

8 minutes ago, captpierre said:

So, if I eventually want to target whitefish, is a 6 inch hole adequate?  Can you recommend an auger brand?

Yes a 6 inch hole is good for whitefish, I’ve yanked plenty through a 6 inch hole.  Bring a gaff with you.  An 8 inch is certainly nicer.  But if your going to use a hand auger you don’t want an 8 inch or you’ll wear yourself out.  If you have a good 18 volt drill then you can get plenty of mileage out of a 6 inch sub zero, or any simple auger.  If not, and your plan is to hand bomb then buy a nils master hand auger.  Best there is!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

I don't target whities but I'm pretty sure a 6 inch hole would be fine. My first auger, which I still have but never use is a 6 inch and I have pulled 10-15LB muskie through my holes while targeting walleye on Scugog. My everyday auger now is a 5 inch strike master laser, and I have pulled 4-5 LB chubby smallmouths on Simcoe through those holes.

+1 that a 6 incher is enough. The only time ive ever really needed the 8 incher is landing laketrout and thats moreso because they obviously are big and really dont like to give up when you get them to the hole. Landing whities, perch, walleyes etc through a 6 incher will be no issue.

If you want to give yourself an excuse to buy a fancy new 20v drill, do that and get yourself a fancy drill adaptor auger. I personally say just hand drill though, I was punching 6 inch holes with a swede bore through a foot of thick black ice this weekend and it was nothing as long as your blades are sharp. Careful to never smack your blades on the ice and always travel with a cover to keep them razer sharp.

Edited by AKRISONER

Thanks for the advice, Guys. 
Here’s  a little Thankyou:

Four married guys go fishing. One of them was a Newfie. After an hour, the following conversation took place. 

First guy: " You have no idea what I had to do to be able to come out fishing this weekend. I had to promise my wife that I will paint every room in the house next weekend." 

Second guy: " that's nothing, I had to promise my wife that I will build her a new deck for the pool." 

Third guy: " Man, you both have it easy! I had to promise my wife that I will remodel the kitchen for her." 

They continue to fish when they realized that the Newfie has not said a word. So they asked him. "You haven't said anything about what you had to do to be able to come fishing this weekend. " What's the deal?" 

Newfie: " I just set my alarm for 5:30 am. When it went off, I shut off my alarm, gave the missus a nudge and said, " Fishing or Sex" and she said, " Wear a Sweater."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, captpierre said:

Newfie: " I just set my alarm for 5:30 am. When it went off, I shut off my alarm, gave the missus a nudge and said, " Fishing or Sex" and she said, " Wear a Sweater."

See how easy we got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Haha 2

Just so you know.  The perch fishing you do not need to walk far.  Pike  a bit further,  whities and trout further yet.   When there is snow on the ice and you are dragging your gear out it can be a work out,  especially wearing the extra clothing.   Go with an operator.  Much more fun when you can set up faster instead of a 1/2 hr walk.

Regards

2 hours ago, misfish said:

I will never let some use my auger.

I can hear you there, I won't let the guys in our group use it. Not until they are given strict instructions, as to how. Learned that the hard way. At the beginning of a new season, I always replace the blades on the auger. On our first trip out, I drilled the first 5 or 6 holes and it was going through the ice like butter; hard butter mind you. LOL A buddy said he'd take over. Yeah sure go for it, he walks over to a spot, raises it like it was Thor's hammer, and slams it on the ice. Pulls the trigger on the drill and the auger is now bouncing like a pogo stick, not biting even the slightest. He was/is a good friend, so I bit my tongue; straitened the flutes of the auger the best I could, and finish drilling the holes for the guys. Before our next trip out, my buddy shows up with a new auger to replace the bent one. Like I said he's a good friend that just screwed up that day.

Dan...