Disturbing post on facebook

Dave Bailey

On 1/16/2022 at 9:31 AM, akaShag said:

If that is NOT what the article is about, perhaps you could summarize it here for those of us who are not FB folks.  (Yes, really, some people are not on Facebook!  😉)

Doug

Sorry about the late reply, I've been out of sorts lately. Here is a portion of the post, with photos. The plastic had hardened and really messed up the fish. The poster didn't even recognise them as plastics. 

"Hello angler friends

I caught this a lake trout just outside of the park today and it had these 2 hard formations in it's stomach.

Fish was 24 inches

Flesh was pale and soft(mushy)

It was also very skinny and didn't fight

Did not eat it

Have no idea what was wrong with it

Thanks"

271658730_10159512791871147_2216547064442907187_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=Auuj_qyZ3rQAX846ODH&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=00_AT82i5liyBtspppdPHqG_1mnU9Ajx4pcvqX59ETC1UxJSQ&oe=620C26F2

May be an image of food

May be an image of indoor

On 1/20/2022 at 4:39 PM, canoecarrier said:

I've had splake and brook trout spit the senko halfway up while trying to spit my hook out. The fish that have the rubber baits in their belly's slow/stop growing. For all those who throw their cigarette butts I caught a splake with rotten flesh all around the cig in its belly. Nasty. 

Filters should be banned. The health benefits are questionable, but the environmental impact is undeniable. 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, Dave Bailey said:

Sorry about the late reply, I've been out of sorts lately. Here is a portion of the post, with photos. The plastic had hardened and really messed up the fish. The poster didn't even recognise them as plastics. 

"Hello angler friends

I caught this a lake trout just outside of the park today and it had these 2 hard formations in it's stomach.

Fish was 24 inches

Flesh was pale and soft(mushy)

It was also very skinny and didn't fight

Did not eat it

Have no idea what was wrong with it

Thanks"

271658730_10159512791871147_2216547064442907187_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=Auuj_qyZ3rQAX846ODH&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=00_AT82i5liyBtspppdPHqG_1mnU9Ajx4pcvqX59ETC1UxJSQ&oe=620C26F2

May be an image of food

May be an image of indoor

Thanks.

Doug

Anyone who denies this is a problem...

(a) is unfamiliar with Char family digestive tract. The end of the stomach does a 180 degree turn in specks, lakers, splake and kin

(b) has not cleaned or eaten very many trout.

This has been a well known problem causing fish mortality for many years. Various studies by credentialled people have confirmed this fact. Google it.

Very little has been done to correct it voluntarily by soft bait manufacturer formulations, or by legislation, despite the facts being presented for years.

There is only one bait company I know of, whom transitioned to a bio degradeable formulation.

Edited by Out4Trout
Typo
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, I can't open the link, and I can't see what's there because I don't have a Facebook account. I am not fond of Facebook, so I deleted my Facebook account. I saw such a post on Instagram about replacing plastic baits. My father is a fisherman and told me more about this problem. And because I'm an influencer on Instagram (or rather a beginner influencer because I've barely garnered a few thousand followers thanks to 1394TA), I talked in my Instagram stories about this issue. I urged all fishermen who heard me to replace their—plastic baits with something biodegradable. We need to think about the nature around us.

Edited by ChenDirit
  • Haha 1