Ice Fishing near Rideau Ferry

akaShag

My son has proposed that I meet him half-way between Ottawa and Kingston to do a (SHORT!) ice fishing session with him and his three year old daughter, her being my older grand-daughter and of course the apple of her Grandpa's eye.  😉  I was thinking that Rideau Ferry would be about half-way.  And I know that some years ago, one could access the ice via the Yacht Club on the northwest side of the big bridge, and folks would fish there for panfish.  I was told that there was a fair number of shelters out there on any given weekend day in the winter.

Is this access still permitted?  If yes, how far from land must one go to set up?  Perch, bluegills, doesn't matter what species for the youngster.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, here in public or via pm.

Doug

Doug, I posted that and then remembered I know a gal that was in my high school homeroom in the '70's that lives in Rideau Ferry so I looked her up and gave her a ring and she says yes at the Yacht Club boat launch.....not sure when he's coming or if he really wants to drive on the lake to go fishing on the deeper side but guys are fishing right out in front of the yacht Club beach all the time. If they run into problems call us at.....we are at the end of that road inside the park. Give us a name just in case.

She wants to know when you plan this and your name in case you call... I've sent you a PM with her phone # and you can give me your full name there so I can pass it on.

Wayne

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m just a couple of minutes from the Yacht club and it’s open for access, the parking area wasn’t plowed on the 17th adding another 100 yards to your walk out..

a couple of permanent shacks are out now and we fished around both of them for a few weeks… a couple of 5ish # pike and a few perch, most people I talked to are using  minnows but we have been doing fine with jigs and a little piece of worm.

GOOD LUCK

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hussar said:

I’m just a couple of minutes from the Yacht club and it’s open for access, the parking area wasn’t plowed on the 17th adding another 100 yards to your walk out..

a couple of permanent shacks are out now and we fished around both of them for a few weeks… a couple of 5ish # pike and a few perch, most people I talked to are using  minnows but we have been doing fine with jigs and a little piece of worm.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks!  I spoke with my son and granddaughter this evening, and we are planning to go there on Saturday.  And if we catch a fish or two, that will be a bonus!  😁

Doug

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

Thanks!  I spoke with my son and granddaughter this evening, and we are planning to go there on Saturday.  And if we catch a fish or two, that will be a bonus!  😁

Doug

Doug if you can, try and stick around until dark, it's often a later bite when the Crappie turn on out there.

12 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Doug if you can, try and stick around until dark, it's often a later bite when the Crappie turn on out there.

Thanks buddy, I know that.  But a three year old is not going to put up with that!  😉  As I said, any fish will be a bonus.

Doug