Jump to content

Ice Fishing near Rideau Ferry


akaShag
 Share

Recommended Posts

My son has proposed that I meet him half-way between Ottawa and Kingston to do a (SHORT!) ice fishing session with him and his three year old daughter, her being my older grand-daughter and of course the apple of her Grandpa's eye.  😉  I was thinking that Rideau Ferry would be about half-way.  And I know that some years ago, one could access the ice via the Yacht Club on the northwest side of the big bridge, and folks would fish there for panfish.  I was told that there was a fair number of shelters out there on any given weekend day in the winter.

Is this access still permitted?  If yes, how far from land must one go to set up?  Perch, bluegills, doesn't matter what species for the youngster.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, here in public or via pm.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I'm trying to spend a bit of time with this little lady.  And I am not asking for your secret spots, just whether access is still permitted there.  Thanks, folks.

Doug

 

 

L with ice shelter.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doug, I posted that and then remembered I know a gal that was in my high school homeroom in the '70's that lives in Rideau Ferry so I looked her up and gave her a ring and she says yes at the Yacht Club boat launch.....not sure when he's coming or if he really wants to drive on the lake to go fishing on the deeper side but guys are fishing right out in front of the yacht Club beach all the time. If they run into problems call us at.....we are at the end of that road inside the park. Give us a name just in case.

She wants to know when you plan this and your name in case you call... I've sent you a PM with her phone # and you can give me your full name there so I can pass it on.

 

Wayne

 

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bonessk01 said:

hope it works out for you Doug!

 

THANKS!  With the knowledge that people still have access there, and a local source of intelligence (thanks to irishfield), we should be good to go.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m just a couple of minutes from the Yacht club and it’s open for access, the parking area wasn’t plowed on the 17th adding another 100 yards to your walk out..

a couple of permanent shacks are out now and we fished around both of them for a few weeks… a couple of 5ish # pike and a few perch, most people I talked to are using  minnows but we have been doing fine with jigs and a little piece of worm.

GOOD LUCK

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Hussar said:

I’m just a couple of minutes from the Yacht club and it’s open for access, the parking area wasn’t plowed on the 17th adding another 100 yards to your walk out..

a couple of permanent shacks are out now and we fished around both of them for a few weeks… a couple of 5ish # pike and a few perch, most people I talked to are using  minnows but we have been doing fine with jigs and a little piece of worm.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks!  I spoke with my son and granddaughter this evening, and we are planning to go there on Saturday.  And if we catch a fish or two, that will be a bonus!  😁

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

Thanks!  I spoke with my son and granddaughter this evening, and we are planning to go there on Saturday.  And if we catch a fish or two, that will be a bonus!  😁

Doug

Doug if you can, try and stick around until dark, it's often a later bite when the Crappie turn on out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Doug if you can, try and stick around until dark, it's often a later bite when the Crappie turn on out there.

Thanks buddy, I know that.  But a three year old is not going to put up with that!  😉  As I said, any fish will be a bonus.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...