Legend Boats

Chrispy

On 1/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, porkpie said:

This is generally the case with legends.  I’ve met the odd legend owner that was happy with their boat, but most I’ve talked to or known have been underwhelmed and eventually moved on!  Also, like you’ve already heard the 115 is underpowered.

If you go in knowledge you will get a decent boat from the Legend guys.

I have an 18 footer I bought in 1991. The base motor package was a 60 which would be way underpowered. I opted to have a 90 on it and it was perfect. The max HP on the boat is 125.

In 2013 I upgraded to a 115 Merc 4 stroke and got the smart gauge package with troll control for trolling. Can get down to 1.5 mph with my 115 on this boat.

She'll be 30 years old this March and it's still kicking.  ;)

• Thanks 1

Can confirm a 115 on 20 ft legend is under powered its fine with 2 people but more than that its a dog out of the hole.  I'm running a 4 blade 13p prop that helped but thinking of gettin a lower pitched prop for when I have more than 2 people out or camping. .   We put a long shaft kicker on ours with no issues however.   

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

If you go in knowledge you will get a decent boat from the Legend guys.

I have an 18 footer I bought in 1991. The base motor package was a 60 which would be way underpowered. I opted to have a 90 on it and it was perfect. The max HP on the boat is 125.

In 2013 I upgraded to a 115 Merc 4 stroke and got the smart gauge package with troll control for trolling. Can get down to 1.5 mph with my 115 on this boat.

She'll be 30 years old this March and it's still kicking.  ;)

Most people with a lot of knowledge don't go in and buy a legend.  Yes, there are some that are happy with them, and some find a good value, but I mentioned that.  And lets face it, a lot of things made 30 years ago where made better than today.  I've known quite a few guys that have owned legend over the years.  A lot of them have said hey it was a decent starter boat, but if I knew then what I know now etc etc.  So sure, some people are happy with them, but every guy I've known personally with a legend or a tracker has sold it to buy a better rig.  But they are for sure a better rig than anything made by tracker.  That's just my perspective, and perspectives vary!

I loved our Legend tiller, but like porkpie said can't compare a boat made in 2004 to what you've got today.   Plus we're talking a pretty basic boat, hard to screw those up.    If I was looking at a boat today, I'd probably look for a mid 2000's Lund with transom issues, get a steep discount because of that and then get it repaired.    Just my 2 cents.   I can't imagine plopping down the kind of money new boats demand these days.  

severely underpowered with a 115, you wouldnt get that thing on plane no matter how much propping and crap you did. Stay away.

Tracker got the nick name "cracker" for a reason. They are cheaper for a reason. There's a chance that Johnny Mo and the bass pro folks have figured out how to make a boat not leak...I mean ive seen some pretty decent stuff recently with the Nitro Bass boats, but man oh man were there a pile of issues with them as recently as 6 years ago and prior to that.

Literally there is a reason that when you go to a bass tournament there's plenty of 20+ year old tritons, champions, rangers and stratos' kicking around, but hardly any nitros. (just my observation)

Word of advice, heavily consider taking a trip over the border to look at boats, dollar goes much much further and the process of importing is fairly straight forward if you make sure that your documentation is all printed and in order before you leave. I imported a boat in November so let me know if you need any additional advice.

Thanks for that Akrisoner!  I was thinking of doing that just because I am in Windsor and the border used to be easy to get back and forth.  I hate to take my money out of Canada now, I just sold my place in Florida just because of the border issues, the virus and the unstable political position they are in at the moment.  I will keep looking, Walleye Central always has a big lineup of used boats that are in the price range I want to spend. 

All of the comments have been extremely helpful to me!!  This is not my first boat, but it is the most I have ever wanted to spend on a boat and the more you know, the better buyer you are.  Thanks you all, I really appreciated your time and knowledge! 

• Like 1

There's very little water in your area not considered big water that pounds the crap out of tin boats. I would be very carefull buying local.

Google Tracker warranty issues.

Learn to spot boat show models under horse power half size trailer tiny trolling motor and don't even consider these models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Under powered is hard on the engine too.

I have a friend that got a 20' tri hull pontoon boat 

He uses it to go to a remote camp 25 miles up the lake. He loads it pretty good for a week stay up there.

Has a 115 on it and now after 5 years his bottom end it toast because of working it too hard.

Try and get a bottom end right now with the supply shortages.

Make sure whatever you buy is stock and not due in some day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, AKRISONER said:

severely underpowered with a 115, you wouldnt get that thing on plane no matter how much propping and crap you did. Stay away.

I agree the 115 is under powered.  However you would be surprised what the right prop will do.   I juuuuust managed to get this load up on plane with three in the boat. 

With 2 people is jumps up on plane.   With 4 it's a bit of a dog but gets on the step no problem.   We bought used and got a crazy deal few years ago.  When this motor goes a 175 will be on rhe back.

IMG-20210621-WA0014.jpg

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Thanks 1