Couger (four legged) near Kenora ON

On 12/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, John Bacon said:

Seems to be more common these days. Especially in places you wouldn’t expect like southern Ontario. There was one spotted in the town of Fergus last week and many in the Fergus/Guelph/Eden Mills corridor in the last decade. a deer carcass found in a tree near grand valley. Nothing but a big cat does that.

And I don’t know if it’s worth getting too worried about unless it’s frequenting your property. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 1

Mnr I’d very hush hush about them because they don’t want a bunch of rednecks to go out in search of new floor rug. 

need more of these large predators to keep the vermin and deer populations in check. 

o saw a coyote stalking a flock of geese in the fields at the credit river in Mississauga on the 401 in the middle of the afternoon 4 days ago. Lots of people hate coyotes for no reason at all aside from them killing their outside cats…which in 2021 there should be no such thing anyways.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

They were eradicated in southern Ontario with all the farmland and urban development. If I’m not mistaken there was a bounty on black bear and puma around the 1800s. 

Because they are so elusive they’re seldom seen. We know they’re all around us in southern Ontario. Yeah the MNR always says that it’s an “escaped pet”. Bull. I do t think They’ve never been completely eradicated, and possibly on a comeback.

Ok, it wasn't a cougar but a Lynx or bobcat that I saw last summer. Diving out of the trailer park's lane (Heavily wooded on each side) something caught my eye and I slowed to a stop. There it was an amazing cat, about 15 feet inside the bush. It was just standing there dead still. After a bit of staring at each other, I looked down to grab my phone to take a picture. When I looked up it was gone; never made as a sound, it was like a ghost. I still wish I didn't look away but just sit there to watch this amazing animal.

Dan.

• Like 1