Pleasure Craft Licence Renewal

Fisherman

Well if there aren't enough hoops and loops in life to jump through, here's another.  Took a look earlier today, aha, PCL is expiring in Feb 22.  Go to the website for renewal,  name, rank, service number, shoe size, etc.  Now they want a picture of an acceptable gov't issued id and a full side picture of the boat along with hull number and hull compliance tag number.   

1 hour ago, Dara said:

Son of a gun

I guess I missed it by 1

Do they send you a notice. I may have to look.

No, mine expires in Feb 2022, just by chance I looked.  You can renew 3 months ahead of expiry.  Already got an email back saying it's accepted and should get an email copy in 2 weeks or so.

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

what the hell is this?

That's the (usually) yellow and blue plate riveted in the back corner of the hull about 2 x 3 inches with the hull number, manufacturer name, model of boat etc, weight allowance and, compliance number issued by Transport Canada I believe.

IMG_20211219_111333.jpg

Edited by Fisherman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 16 Footer said:

They want $135 for an address update. 

Who does, the MTO on a vehicle or are you talking boat? Boat PCL are free, if they are charging to change your address sell the boat to your Wife for a dollar and register it again at the new address for free...

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

That's the (usually) yellow and blue plate riveted in the back corner of the hull about 2 x 3 inches with the hull number, manufacturer name, model of boat etc, weight allowance and, compliance number issued by Transport Canada I believe.

IMG_20211219_111333.jpg

Thanks buddy.

Holy crap, you are getting thin!!!

Doug

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, LeXXington said:

LOL, that sir is a scam..  https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/licensing-pleasure-craft#obtain

Always free!!!  but if you need someone to complete it.. For $134 I will complete the paperwork for you.

I did not update my address on this site. Online scams are getting more sophisticated! Be very careful where you give your credit card number! 

• Like 3

Hi. Mine expires in Nov 2022.

So I called the following :

Licensing a pleasure craft

Office of Boating Safety

Toll-free telephone: 1-800-267-6687
Email: [email protected]

The agent said that there is nothing to do now. I will automatically receive a letter 3 months before the expiry date with instructions on what to do, and the renewal will be processed free of any charge.  She was very clear but feel free to call to see if you get the same response.

Surprised to see that they said they are sending out a notification.  I've been at the same address for over 25 years, no notification within 2 months of expiry.   Anyway, got mine back by email today,  looks same as the old one,  saved copies, printed one off and promptly laminated it and it will go in the boat sealed box after supper.

14 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Surprised to see that they said they are sending out a notification.  I've been at the same address for over 25 years, no notification within 2 months of expiry.   Anyway, got mine back by email today,  looks same as the old one,  saved copies, printed one off and promptly laminated it and it will go in the boat sealed box after supper.

Don't expect the feds to remind you of ANYTHING except taxes due...........

We have a few scam companies that in small print confess they are not actually the Coast Guard but a service provided on your behalf to easily Document your Vessel with them for a fee. The information on a documented vessel is public information and they are huckle bucking a lot of people. 

Art