Snowmobile for ice fishing? age, miles?

Tjames09

3 hours ago, porkpie said:

I'm not sure how accurate the 7 years support is.  I have never had a problem getting parts, even factory parts many years after production.  Case in point we just recently obtained a factory new (from Polaris) water pump for a 1997 Indy touring 500 with just a bit of lead time for delivery  Also, while Polaris generally makes garbage ATV's, I've ridden and owned  Popo sleds, amongst others and it's about the only thing they do well.  The indy lite 340's in particular are gangbuster little fishing sleds!  I rode with a hunt camp full of guys that wouldn't touch a Polaris bike if you paid them because every one we had in the camp broke down at some point, but they where all riding polaris in the winter with few exceptions.  

i wish this held up for the new ones...got a buddy witt one that has gone through 3! yes 3 warranty engines

• Like 1

8 hours ago, porkpie said:

I'm not sure how accurate the 7 years support is.  I have never had a problem getting parts, even factory parts many years after production.  Case in point we just recently obtained a factory new (from Polaris) water pump for a 1997 Indy touring 500 with just a bit of lead time for delivery  Also, while Polaris generally makes garbage ATV's, I've ridden and owned  Popo sleds, amongst others and it's about the only thing they do well.  The indy lite 340's in particular are gangbuster little fishing sleds!  I rode with a hunt camp full of guys that wouldn't touch a Polaris bike if you paid them because every one we had in the camp broke down at some point, but they where all riding polaris in the winter with few exceptions.  

MFG MAY still support a part after 7 years as it's on a cross over used in another item that is newer.  But they (car MFG mostly) can stop production after 7 years from that part numbers End Of Life time.  

Here is an example of what is out there. The Bravo is the ultimate fishing machine but 10,000 for a 2011 is a little much... not sure if you can read the ad..  https://www.facebook.com/groups/132526827456122/permalink/900550110653786/?sale_post_id=900550110653786

Edited by pics

13 hours ago, GBW said:

MFG MAY still support a part after 7 years as it's on a cross over used in another item that is newer.  But they (car MFG mostly) can stop production after 7 years from that part numbers End Of Life time.  

That may be so, but I've owned a lot of crappy old sleds in my day and never had a problem getting parts, current shortages aside.  

4 hours ago, pics said:

Here is an example of what is out there. The Bravo is the ultimate fishing machine but 10,000 for a 2011 is a little much... not sure if you can read the ad..  https://www.facebook.com/groups/132526827456122/permalink/900550110653786/?sale_post_id=900550110653786

I can't read it, not part of the group. But 10,000 for a 10 year old machine. New sleds are 10k. 

• Like 1

Honestly the worst time of year to be looking for a sled lol. Plus COVID prices are banana's for any rec vehicle or boat. As others have stated a fan cooled utility sled are the most simple and don't need snow to run properly. But they are also the hardest to find at any sort of reasonable price. Some models to look for a starter sled:

Tundra LT

Skandic

Touring SLE

Bravo LT

Vk540

Venture

Enticer LT

Bearcat

XLT

As for miles under 10K should be something to shoot for on average.

Good luck with your search. I looked long and hard to finally find a 99 Skidoo Skandic WT in ok shape at a good price. It's tough out there! Also for parts... Royal Distributors

BM

Edited by BassMan11
  • Like 1

This is the worst possible time to shop for a snowmobile! Prices are highest during the start of the winter, and now with covid, add $1000 to anything out there.

You will need to educate yourself on maintaining a snowmobile,  they are high maintenance machines if you want to be reliable. 

Things to avoid: machines with silly bar risers and Monster energy stickers. Every teen ager that pounds a machine off jumps does these mods!  Also, stay away from adds that say " ran fine when parked"  if it ran fine,  it wouldn't be parked!

• Like 2

Thanks for the help guys, found a 2014 Bearcat for a reasonable price and reasonable miles. Been doing some research on preseason maintenance. Did the chain case oil, spark plugs, and 2 stroke oil already, and checked the belt and tension. 

Found a manual online that talks bout cleaning the carbs, but might be out of my wheelhouse. 

2 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Thanks for the help guys, found a 2014 Bearcat for a reasonable price and reasonable miles. Been doing some research on preseason maintenance. Did the chain case oil, spark plugs, and 2 stroke oil already, and checked the belt and tension. 

Found a manual online that talks bout cleaning the carbs, but might be out of my wheelhouse. 

Eh, I wouldn’t worry too much about the carbs on a 2014. Run ethanol free premium only if you can. Consider running a load of seafoam through it. Run good quality synthetic two stroke oil only. 

tension and alignment on the track are really important to keep an eye on. Good luck with the Arctic cat 😉

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Run good quality synthetic two stroke oil only. 

Problem there is, if he want's to run the BRP XPS (part number 779127) 2-stroke oil.  My work cannot get it.  All we have left now is what we pre-ordered.  Many dealers in the Kawartha's don't have stock on that part number and the bigger jugs (779128).  

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Eh, I wouldn’t worry too much about the carbs on a 2014. Run ethanol free premium only if you can. Consider running a load of seafoam through it. Run good quality synthetic two stroke oil only.

Ya unless there are issues leave the carbs. Do as said above. Amsoil oil https://www.amsoil.ca/p/interceptor-synthetic-2-stroke-oil-ait/ canadian tire. Congrats on the sled. Let the adventures begin.

Edited by Sharkbait22

What I believe you should do is find what oils Arctic Cat says and use that.

Doo oil is nothing like any other oil. The stuff smells like cookies burning.

Along with what you did I always loosen my track and give the boogie wheels a spin to make sure bearings are good.  Pry a bit and make sure rear idlers are good too.  

• Like 1

Congrats on the new sled!! I run shell synthetic ( gold label) in my polaris which can be found at Canadian Tire.  If it doesn't run perfect, learn how to clean the carbs so it doesn't lean out on the top end and blow a piston.  Running a good dose of seafoam along with shell V-power gas will keep the fuel system trouble free in the future.

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

tension and alignment on the track are really important to keep an eye on. Good luck with the Arctic cat 😉

2 hours ago, GBW said:

Problem there is, if he want's to run the BRP XPS (part number 779127) 2-stroke oil.  My work cannot get it.  All we have left now is what we pre-ordered.  Many dealers in the Kawartha's don't have stock on that part number and the bigger jugs (779128).  

1 hour ago, Sharkbait22 said:

1 hour ago, Dara said:

What I believe you should do is find what oils Arctic Cat says and use that.

Doo oil is nothing like any other oil. The stuff smells like cookies burning.

Along with what you did I always loosen my track and give the boogie wheels a spin to make sure bearings are good.  Pry a bit and make sure rear idlers are good too.  

9 minutes ago, GYPSY400 said:

Congrats on the new sled!! I run shell synthetic ( gold label) in my polaris which can be found at Canadian Tire.  If it doesn't run perfect, learn how to clean the carbs so it doesn't lean out on the top end and blow a piston.  Running a good dose of seafoam along with shell V-power gas will keep the fuel system trouble free in the future.

Thanks everyone. I wanted a fan sled, and not many are made and easy to find. 

Theres an Arctic Cat dealer in PTBO and they have lots of stock of everything. Bought the recommended 2 stroke oil there. 

Dumped half a can of seafoam in the gas already. 

Previous owner said he replaced the slider last year and bearings, so hopefully that parts good. 

8 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I think you made a good choice and it will serve you well, like other guys have said- no ethanol fuel

The Costco 91 octane has no ethanol. It's also cheaper than most other stations.  Suncor also has no ethanol but its significantly higher in price.. 

15 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I think you made a good choice and it will serve you well, like other guys have said- no ethanol fuel

Whats interesting is the manual recommends 87 octane with 10% ethanol. In the manual it says the ethanol prevents the gas from freezing. 

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:39 PM, Tjames09 said:

Whats interesting is the manual recommends 87 octane with 10% ethanol. In the manual it says the ethanol prevents the gas from freezing. 

and trudeau and fauci say get your boosters, ethanol and pfizer are both poison, that is

undisputable

Edited by chris.brock
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:39 PM, Tjames09 said:

Gas line antifreeze IS ethanol.. I never use it and never have a problem with freeze up.  Ethanol is murder on carburetors and other rubber parts of the fuel system.   The key is to keep the water out of the fuel system. 

Even if you run ethanol gas, remember to run the last tank of the year ethanol free and then run the carbs dry when you store it for summer.  Good luck on your snowmobile season.