Snowmobile for ice fishing? age, miles?

Tjames09

Been looking for a sled mainly for ice fishing. Seems like a lot of older sleds for sale, lots of early 2000's with most having a fair number of miles on them.

Is there a cut off for miles on certain sleds? Seems Yamahas have way more mile than most. 

• Like 1

There's a guy on  Facebook marketplace named Jake Loxton and he's located North of North Bay. He has a lot of sleds for sale and he seems to know his stuff.. prices are very high right now but if I was to get one a Yamaha or skidoo would be my preference.. 

1 hour ago, pics said:

There's a guy on  Facebook marketplace named Jake Loxton and he's located North of North Bay. He has a lot of sleds for sale and he seems to know his stuff.. prices are very high right now but if I was to get one a Yamaha or skidoo would be my preference.. 

thanks. Seems like the Yamahas have anywhere from 15-20k miles on them

Seeing as I work at a Ski-Doo/Can-Am/SeaDoo (BRP), Kawasaki, Suzuki dealer in the Kawartha's, watch the age as parts become End Of Life AND if it's not a very common part that an aftermarket company makes/made, you're pooched.  

2-stroke full synthetic oil stock is SO low I can't even order stock to replace what we sell.  But lucky us we ordered well in advance of the current situation.  Sliders, only OEM left available as the Dupont's are not available till after March 2022.  Tracks, GOOD LUCK as there is a shortage there too from all brands!  Belts too are probably going to be harder to get sooner than later. 

Last fall we winterized 220 Seadoo's and this year over 450 units.  That's how crazy the world has gone in the past 18/24 months.  No stock, high demand, used selling for almost as much or more than new but no NEW to be had as it was all ordered, bought and paid for over 8 months ago for any product line.  

I wish you the best of luck in your search but please keep in mind of age (lack of old parts) and a shortage on the newer sought after stuff.  

36 minutes ago, GBW said:

Seeing as I work at a Ski-Doo/Can-Am/SeaDoo (BRP), Kawasaki, Suzuki dealer in the Kawartha's, watch the age as parts become End Of Life AND if it's not a very common part that an aftermarket company makes/made, you're pooched.  

2-stroke full synthetic oil stock is SO low I can't even order stock to replace what we sell.  But lucky us we ordered well in advance of the current situation.  Sliders, only OEM left available as the Dupont's are not available till after March 2022.  Tracks, GOOD LUCK as there is a shortage there too from all brands!  Belts too are probably going to be harder to get sooner than later. 

Last fall we winterized 220 Seadoo's and this year over 450 units.  That's how crazy the world has gone in the past 18/24 months.  No stock, high demand, used selling for almost as much or more than new but no NEW to be had as it was all ordered, bought and paid for over 8 months ago for any product line.  

I wish you the best of luck in your search but please keep in mind of age (lack of old parts) and a shortage on the newer sought after stuff.  

Thanks for the reply. What age are we talking about when parts are no longer available? I was looking at early to mid 2000's (05-09). 

1 hour ago, Tjames09 said:

Thanks for the reply. What age are we talking about when parts are no longer available? I was looking at early to mid 2000's (05-09). 

Parts are only supported for 7 years from the 'model year' as a lucky average number to use.  

what do you mean "ice fishing"? are you trying to bush crash into back lakes or just towing a pop up down the lake? IMO Yamaha is by far the best, polaris is 2nd, cat 3rd, skidoo is junk, whatever brand you pick stay away from high performance models, go for entry level, simple, basic, low performance stuff

• Like 2

They all need proper maintenance.

Bearings and lubrication changes.

2 strokes don't take the miles a 4 stroke does

Bad time to buy as everything is inflated but you gotta ride something

Polaris even says pos right in the name. Arctic cats are pretty touchy too if you don't take good care of it

11 hours ago, chris.brock said:

what do you mean "ice fishing"? are you trying to bush crash into back lakes or just towing a pop up down the lake? IMO Yamaha is by far the best, polaris is 2nd, cat 3rd, skidoo is junk, whatever brand you pick stay away from high performance models, go for entry level, simple, basic, low performance stuff

Just pull up to the lake. No backwoods bombing. 

What's considered high mileage on a Yamaha? Im seeing lots for 15,000km+ It seems like a lot?

From a very reliable source, parts are hard to get even for newer sleds of any brand, the cost of tracks has virtually doubled, other parts are almost impossible to get.  Guys that have been ordering tracks from last spring to summer are still waiting.  The shop he works in has requests from all across the country.   when you go to buy, make sure it's not a basket case that needs a lot of work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

From a very reliable source, parts are hard to get even for newer sleds of any brand, the cost of tracks has virtually doubled, other parts are almost impossible to get.  Guys that have been ordering tracks from last spring to summer are still waiting.  The shop he works in has requests from all across the country.   when you go to buy, make sure it's not a basket case that needs a lot of work.

Never owned a sled before lol. I won’t have a clue if somethings a dud or not 

Take a friend that knows sleds and their inner workings to help you inspect them.  Some of the things to be aware of are motor seals, too worn they suck air and make it run lean and burn.  Same for dirty carbs.  Worn bearings, same.  side to side movement, radial movement, same.  Secondary clutch bearings, same.  Track sliders for wear,  becoming hard to find, even after market ones because of supply problems.  Bogey bearings can still be found in stores that sell bearings.  There's a start. 

Find a mid to late 2000 2 stroke with less than 5k km. Fan cooled 500. 4 stroke engines can have 20k km and be fine. Long track 2up is great. Get a toboggan to tow now before they are all gone, otherwise wait until next year. Used sled prices are almost double what they were pre covid. Sounds like parts are hard to come by so you need a ready to go sled. Educate yourself. Lots info on the net about ice fishing snowmobiles.

4 hours ago, Sharkbait22 said:

Find a mid to late 2000 2 stroke with less than 5k km. Fan cooled 500. 4 stroke engines can have 20k km and be fine. Long track 2up is great. Get a toboggan to tow now before they are all gone, otherwise wait until next year. Used sled prices are almost double what they were pre covid. Sounds like parts are hard to come by so you need a ready to go sled. Educate yourself. Lots info on the net about ice fishing snowmobiles.

Thanks. Ive already got a towable pelican with cover. I was trying to find a fan cooled 500. doesn't seem many come for sale

12 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

Just pull up to the lake. No backwoods bombing. 

What's considered high mileage on a Yamaha? Im seeing lots for 15,000km+ It seems like a lot?

Depends if it’s a 2 or 4 stroke. A 4 stroke will go 20,000+ km

do a compression test on the motor if you go and look at it. You can get a meter on Amazon. It’s a very simple process and will tell you if the motor is in operating shape or not. Basically if the compression is solid you don’t have a ton to worry about.

everything else will be related to the track and suspension itself. 

there’s some pretty good YouTube videos on “what to check when buying a used snowmobile” they go pretty in depth, but for the most part the stuff they tell you to check is pretty straight forward

Edited by AKRISONER

A couple months ago I went to a Ski Doo dealer looking for a new fishing sled.

He said maybe I could get one next year if I order soon.

Dealers are returning deposits from orders taken last spring due to inability to deliver.

Makes the price of a used sled go up

I have a Yamaha with 28,000 km on it. It was worth maybe 2 k 2years ago. Now I think I could get 6k

But I'm not selling because then I wouldn't be fishing this year.

Good luck.  Anything I see for sale right now is pretty much junk.

And I kinda need a new track but can't find one

Edited by Dara
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dara said:

A couple months ago I went to a Ski Doo dealer looking for a new fishing sled.

He said maybe I could get one next year if I order soon.

Dealers are returning deposits from orders taken last spring due to inability to deliver.

Makes the price of a used sled go up

I have a Yamaha with 28,000 km on it. It was worth maybe 2 k 2years ago. Now I think I could get 6k

But I'm not selling because then I wouldn't be fishing this year.

Good luck.  Anything I see for sale right now is pretty much junk.

And I kinda need a new track but can't find one

Ya I'm noticing a lot of things are junk. Lots of old sleds and guys wanting 5+k. Sometimes even 8k for like an 02. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:23 PM, Tjames09 said:

Oh wow...I haven't seen sleds for sale that new. Everything's early-mid 2000s. 

I'm not sure how accurate the 7 years support is.  I have never had a problem getting parts, even factory parts many years after production.  Case in point we just recently obtained a factory new (from Polaris) water pump for a 1997 Indy touring 500 with just a bit of lead time for delivery  Also, while Polaris generally makes garbage ATV's, I've ridden and owned  Popo sleds, amongst others and it's about the only thing they do well.  The indy lite 340's in particular are gangbuster little fishing sleds!  I rode with a hunt camp full of guys that wouldn't touch a Polaris bike if you paid them because every one we had in the camp broke down at some point, but they where all riding polaris in the winter with few exceptions.  

• Like 1