Do you like baked beans?

Well, you got to try this!

I love my baked beans but it always takes so long so I started looking for options, enter "Instapot".

I did some digging on line and found a recipe I thought I could work with (recipes are just something to start with for me) and the results were even better than I expected so here is my version. Mine is an 8 qt.

Ingredients:

8 cups water (I am fussy, non chlorinated) plus 1 1/2 cups reserved

1 LB dry Navy beans (rinsed and picked through)

1 TBS olive oil

6 oz salt pork cubed

1 small onion minced

1/4 cup ketchup

1/3 cup molasses

1/4 cup Brown sugar

1/4 cup maple suryp

1 TBS yellow mustard

Step 1: Add the 8 cups water and beans to the Instapot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes then use natural release. Remove the beans and drain and cool.

Step 2: I just made two trays out of foil to spread the beans out a bit and put them in my smoker, 1 pan of maple chips and smoked them until the chips were done.

Step 3: Whisk together the ketchup, molasses, maple syrup, brown sugar, mustard and 1 1/2 cups of water.

Step 4: In a sauce pan heat olive oil, add the salt pork and onion and cook just until the fat begins to render.

Step 5: add the smoked beans, salt pork and onion and the whisked combination back to the instapot and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes then use natural release.

You'll never buy canned beans again and you probably won't bother doing them the old fashion way again either!

Notes: You don't have to smoke them, I have done it both ways and they are fantastic.

You can add extra bacon if you want but 6 oz of salt pork is plenty. (I like PORK and beans)

These freeze really well, you could can them but why bother, these are so quick and easy to make you don't need to.

Beans.jpg

Edited by Big Cliff
  • Like 3

Yes, I have 3 of those Instant Pots, a 3 , 6 and a 8 quart, they are great , no soaking the beans overnight like mom used to do. My beans are basically the same recipe but I used one of those little cans of tomato paste instead of catsup and the mustard is the powdered dry mustard. The 3 quart gets used for mashed taters, rice and hard boiled eggs mostly, the 6 does most main course meals and the eight does whole ears of corn and if ribs ever come down again it will take 2 whole racks, just sauce and finish under the gas broiler

edit: if you ever find yourself in the doghouse this is like a get out of jail free card https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-cheesecake-new-york/

supper yesterday with lots of leftovers https://www.shugarysweets.com/instant-pot-chicken-noodle-soup/

Edited by dave524
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

Oh that cheese cake recipe looks so good, I think I am going to have to try it this week. Thanks for the link 😊

You really need the 7 inch springform pan and don't over mix the ingredients and let them get to room temp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1