Boat launches open?

An empty shell of a boat hull, will not tell you everything water leak wise; you may want to know? The boat shell should be weighed down to what the approx weight that it'll carry while in use. Just think of Pascal's Law. Fluid will always travel from a high pressure to a low pressure. If the boat empty (for # sake) is 100lbs it will only apply 100lbs of pressure to the underside of the hull. Add 500-800+lbs the pressure will go up equally to the hull. May not leak @ 100psi; but may weep, seep, dribble and or pour at 800lbs??

I understand why you want to test it before closing up the floor; just test it with the proper weight.

Dan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DanD said:

An empty shell of a boat hull, will not tell you everything water leak wise; you may want to know? The boat shell should be weighed down to what the approx weight that it'll carry while in use. Just think of Pascal's Law. Fluid will always travel from a high pressure to a low pressure. If the boat empty (for # sake) is 100lbs it will only apply 100lbs of pressure to the underside of the hull. Add 500-800+lbs the pressure will go up equally to the hull. May not leak @ 100psi; but may weep, seep, dribble and or pour at 800lbs??

I understand why you want to test it before closing up the floor; just test it with the proper weight.

Dan.

I wondered about that.

It’s gutted 100%. Motors, batteries, troller, glass...all off and won’t be going back on until spring. 

maybe I’ll leave the trailer attached to it to help weigh it down. I guess I could put my 3 loose batteries and fuel cans in. Plus my weight inside to mark leaks if any.

The trailer weight should equal a few 100lbs? (Thinking the air in the tires would add a bit of buoyancy, so trailer weighs maybe half of what it’s dry weight is?)

thoughts? 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

Here's an idea and I'm assuming this is an aluminum boat. Why not turn the boat upside down on some stands and take a pressure washer to the outside of it? 2000-3000 psi should be plenty of force to find any leaks from the inside.

Thanks. Open to all suggestions here. The difficulty I would have with this is that it is a deep V run about, so to turn it and get it on stands would be something I would need a few people for. (no overhead hoisting capabilities) It’s not out of the question however, and I am considering it. 

6 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks. Open to all suggestions here. The difficulty I would have with this is that it is a deep V run about, so to turn it and get it on stands would be something I would need a few people for. (no overhead hoisting capabilities) It’s not out of the question however, and I am considering it. 

Yea not knowing how big the boat is even a 14ft would need a couple of guys. I guess you could even try to do it with the boat on the trailer, that amount of pressure could still make it through enough to spot it from the inside. Then there's the paint job to keep in mind.

2 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I may have waited too late. Weather does not want to cooperate. 

has anyone used “coat it” on the outside of an aluminum hull? I might do that as a precaution below the waterline

Not coat it, but gluvit. On the inside. Never the outside. 

S. 

On 12/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, Hack_Fisherman said:

I think I get it now... Epoxy on rivets?

I had some trial and error on replacing. Looking for some extra insurance now that it’s going to sit in the water all season, un-monitored for weeks. 

Best way is to re-set or replace rivets. Sealing them doens't work. They move around too much if they are loose and will eventually just leak again. It is very easy to re-set or replace if you have the floor out. I did my whole boat in the spring. Replaced a ton of them, and re-set any that didn't need replaced. Very easy to do, just need a second person, and the tools to do it. 

S. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinker said:

Best way is to re-set or replace rivets. Sealing them doens't work. They move around too much if they are loose and will eventually just leak again. It is very easy to re-set or replace if you have the floor out. I did my whole boat in the spring. Replaced a ton of them, and re-set any that didn't need replaced. Very easy to do, just need a second person, and the tools to do it. 

S. 

Thanks. 

I have to admit that if I named my boat, I’d probably have to call it “Trial and Error”. I replaced a few hundred rivets, but it took me some time to learn how to remove them properly. I got a little Rammy in a few places and ended up with some seam leaks as discovered with my 1st leak test. And some of my sloppy rivets leaked also. 

So we rebucked everything below the waterline and I coated the rivets inside with Gluvit and I ran a bead of 3M5200 along the seam on the inside. I wanted to leak test before I put the floors in. 

Since I worry about crap, I think I will flip it and Gflex the rivet heads and seam for extra insurance. While it’s turtled, there’s no better time to paint it. 

if the thing leaks when I splash it next spring, I’ve done all I can do I guess. I’m out of time and it has to start going back together. I’m limited for time this winter and I have to make hay when the opportunity arises. 

Cheers