Boat launches open?

Does anyone know of any boat launches still open?

I need to leak test my boat before I install floatation foam and floors. Guelph, Belwood, Conestogo and Puslinch lake are closed. I don’t want to drive down to Hamilton or Bronte to find out they are gated off etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

An empty shell of a boat hull, will not tell you everything water leak wise; you may want to know? The boat shell should be weighed down to what the approx weight that it'll carry while in use. Just think of Pascal's Law. Fluid will always travel from a high pressure to a low pressure. If the boat empty (for # sake) is 100lbs it will only apply 100lbs of pressure to the underside of the hull. Add 500-800+lbs the pressure will go up equally to the hull. May not leak @ 100psi; but may weep, seep, dribble and or pour at 800lbs??

I understand why you want to test it before closing up the floor; just test it with the proper weight.

Dan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DanD said:

An empty shell of a boat hull, will not tell you everything water leak wise; you may want to know? The boat shell should be weighed down to what the approx weight that it'll carry while in use. Just think of Pascal's Law. Fluid will always travel from a high pressure to a low pressure. If the boat empty (for # sake) is 100lbs it will only apply 100lbs of pressure to the underside of the hull. Add 500-800+lbs the pressure will go up equally to the hull. May not leak @ 100psi; but may weep, seep, dribble and or pour at 800lbs??

I understand why you want to test it before closing up the floor; just test it with the proper weight.

Dan.

I wondered about that.

It’s gutted 100%. Motors, batteries, troller, glass...all off and won’t be going back on until spring. 

maybe I’ll leave the trailer attached to it to help weigh it down. I guess I could put my 3 loose batteries and fuel cans in. Plus my weight inside to mark leaks if any.

The trailer weight should equal a few 100lbs? (Thinking the air in the tires would add a bit of buoyancy, so trailer weighs maybe half of what it’s dry weight is?)

thoughts? 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

Here's an idea and I'm assuming this is an aluminum boat. Why not turn the boat upside down on some stands and take a pressure washer to the outside of it? 2000-3000 psi should be plenty of force to find any leaks from the inside.

Thanks. Open to all suggestions here. The difficulty I would have with this is that it is a deep V run about, so to turn it and get it on stands would be something I would need a few people for. (no overhead hoisting capabilities) It’s not out of the question however, and I am considering it. 

6 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks. Open to all suggestions here. The difficulty I would have with this is that it is a deep V run about, so to turn it and get it on stands would be something I would need a few people for. (no overhead hoisting capabilities) It’s not out of the question however, and I am considering it. 

Yea not knowing how big the boat is even a 14ft would need a couple of guys. I guess you could even try to do it with the boat on the trailer, that amount of pressure could still make it through enough to spot it from the inside. Then there's the paint job to keep in mind.