Lake O Salmon Newbie

Toronto_Angler

Hi Everyone, The past few summers Ive been doing Charters on Lake O in the summer for Kings and I feel like this summer its time to take a plunge and start learning on my own because obviously Im hooked. Problem is I've never owned a boat or trolled on my own and I consider myself a complete newbie to it.Can anyone point me to some good resources on the best beginner boat and as well as resources on learning how to troll for salmon. I figure if I start in November, by spring I will have just enough knowledge to not get totally ripped off on a boat and not look like a fool setting up downriggers or dipsy's lol. 

Newbie as well. Had fish salmon for 2 seasons only. For boat I wouldn't go smaller than 17 feet. If you never owned a boat - there is so many things you have to learn - towing, safety, etc. Most of that you can find on YouTube. Also I would recommend to go at least first time with someone who can really help and used to fish before or jump to someone's smaller boat. Charter boats are usually quite bigger. For gear - wait for sales and start buying. Don't forget you can get 2 line per person so 2 downriggers are beneficial but not necessarily required. Many great guys here who can chip in.

• Like 1

How much do you want to spend on a boat? As mentioned before morning smaller than a 17 footer and get a deep haul. Prices of boats are up due to what lots are calling COVID pricing. 
Check Spoonpullers out for lots of information and do your research before posting questions as lots can be found by going back through posts. I also recommend 2 downriggers as well a couple dipseys setups and then go from there. Find deals on lures and gear online. 
Good luck with all of your searches etc.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Tried to register at spoonpullers but have been waiting a while for activation. 
probably looking at around a 19 footer deep v less than 20k as I don’t want to get too much boat to begin with but something that can handle the lake. Don’t plan on going in rough weather but I know it can turn on a dime.

I suggest your FIRST step is learning how to run a boat safely.  For sure there will be a chapter of the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron somewhere near you:

https://www.cps-ecp.ca/about/

Once you can trailer your boat from your house to the launch safely, and then launch, operate, and recover your boat safely, then I suggest is the time to look into the fishing part.  And it's not rocket science.  Of course, the REALLY successful anglers do have a tonne of knowledge, experience, etc, not to mention gear, but to get started (in my own experience anyways) you don't have to own the best of anything, just some gear that works for you.

I am going to send you a pm, and you can respond if you are interested.

Doug

• Like 1

Where do you live? St Catharines area has some of the best action every year from mid April to late May.

Spoonpullers is great so is Lake Ontario United 

Grimsby Tackle periodically has free seminars in store & via Zoom and a You Tube channel. 

Joining a local club is a great idea too for learning and networking ( St Catharines Game and Fish Association,  Strait Line Anglers,  Halton Region Salmon And Trout Association,  Port Credit Salmon and Trout Association,  Metro East Anglers etc) 

• Like 1