Cavitation plate faded

b_cdot

Got a few different responses on walleye central forum, nobody mentioned anything about cavitation. Talked to my dealer and says it could be a cavitation issue, he has sent the picture off for a 2nd opinion. Motor is only 3 years old. Any thoughts as to what the issue could be? Thanks

20211104_154025.jpg

35 minutes ago, Terry said:

Did it happen over night

did it slowly spread

Do you leave the boat in the water 

boat is trailered, really noticeable last couple months. I can't say if it happened quickly or not. Just never caught my eye until I was doing my winterization this year

3 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Simple question, but does it look like a coating, or more like a metal reaction on the part?

That is what I was thinking and why I wanted to know if the boat is left in the water, I was thinking  the zinc anode reacting to rouge electrical source or something, but he doesn’t keep it in the water 

10 hours ago, Terry said:

That is what I was thinking and why I wanted to know if the boat is left in the water, I was thinking  the zinc anode reacting to rouge electrical source or something, but he doesn’t keep it in the water 

I'm going to hit it with some CLR and see what happens. If it's a coating it's very subtle. It didn't feel like a coating

On 11/20/2021 at 2:09 AM, smitty55 said:

Simple question, but does it look like a coating, or more like a metal reaction on the part?

tried some CLR on it and it didn't touch it. It's faded paint not a buildup of any kind. Under side of the cavitation plate is completely unaffected

14 hours ago, glen said:

Put sunscreen on the rest of the engine quick.   Lol.  

Maybe not so far from the truth; if you want the whole motor to be white? Maybe not so much sunscreen; but has anyone on your boat ever used some form of (Strong deet) bug repellent? Repellent that may have inadvertently got sprayed on or dumped on top of the plate? Deet is an amazing bug repellent; it is also good for starting camp fires (better then gasoline), discoloring painted surfaces and Oh yea causing cancer. A buddy of mine worked for Bell Canada (from the70s till retirement). Back in his early days; the general worker's supply warehouses, had cases of deet, in 4-5 ounce squeeze bottles of all but strait 100% deet.

Long story short. if you got that stuff on anything; it would turn it chalk white with-in minutes. Worked great keeping the flies away; but I made the mistake of wiping my hands (this crap burned) on the tan seat of my boat. After the sun hit it; it looked like it was tie-dyed; it pulled the colour right out of the seat.

Dan.

• Like 2

Long story short. if you got that stuff on anything; it would turn it chalk white with-in minutes. Worked great keeping the flies away; but I made the mistake of wiping my hands (this crap burned) on the tan seat of my boat. After the sun hit it; it looked like it was tie-dyed; it pulled the colour right out of the seat.

My wife used to have a bad habit of putting sunscreen on her arms and then get in the car, everything she touched or rubbed turned the black interior to smurf blue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DanD said:

Maybe not so far from the truth; if you want the whole motor to be white? Maybe not so much sunscreen; but has anyone on your boat ever used some form of (Strong deet) bug repellent? Repellent that may have inadvertently got sprayed on or dumped on top of the plate? Deet is an amazing bug repellent; it is also good for starting camp fires (better then gasoline), discoloring painted surfaces and Oh yea causing cancer. A buddy of mine worked for Bell Canada (from the70s till retirement). Back in his early days; the general worker's supply warehouses, had cases of deet, in 4-5 ounce squeeze bottles of all but strait 100% deet.

Dan.

13 hours ago, Fisherman said:

My wife used to have a bad habit of putting sunscreen on her arms and then get in the car, everything she touched or rubbed turned the black interior to smurf blue.

I can't think of that happening. I've seen deet create that white film on a gray gunwale after it baked in the sun and it never came out. I did bring the boat in for a detail in the spring. Makes me wonder if something he used could have reacted with it.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, DanD said:

Dan.

Dad worked for Bell 1945-85,  we always had a supply of that Deet at the cottage for bug season, worked good but I recall the '64 Pontiac Station wagon had two sections where your hands would go that the surface was well lets say textured 🤣 

• Like 1