Lest We Forget

Loonietoon

Living where I do allows me to see the Avro Lancaster most every weekend soaring low and loud over my home, always emotional but today as it flew over as it does every Remembrance Day is far more poignant and tear raising. Respect to all who have served and continue to serve, Amen.

20211111_165127_resized.jpg

• Like 3

We were not taught what Remembrance Day meant way back in the 60's. Actually never explained trough all levels of education the meaning of it. I see it is different today. My 4 year old grand niece that is in her 2nd year of pre Kindergarten, another discussion for another day, explained to me in her baby talk the basic premiss of this special day. I was dumbfounded, 4 years old. That's a good thing. If you are blessed to have youngsters around you take the time to sit them down and talk about what the sacrifices our young men and women make, still to this day, to protect our way of life as well as our freedoms we all enjoy and often take for granted. I didn't ask any of my relatives that were soldiers in WW1, WW2 and Korea about what they went through, we were told never to ask them. My paternal Grand Father fought in WW1 for the British and took shrapnell to the scull, who better to ask. Take the time to pass it on. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 1:58 PM, Headhunter said:

Watched two Hercules fly over my house this morning on their way to a fly over downtown.

Lest we forget

HH

Where's downtown.? We are about 60K from John C. Monroe airport, Mount Hope (Hamilton On.) and heard one of the Warplane Museum's dual engine bombers fly over early last week. We can hear them heading this way from several miles away, especially the Lancaster. She will shake the nails out of the place. I get chills everytime I hear those babies. I can't imagine the sky riddled with bombers ready to drop their payload, must have been horrible for the civilians waiting to die and the airmen waiting to be shot out of the sky. The sound would be deafening. We lost a cousin in WW2 when his plane was shot down somewhere in Europe, never found the plane or crew. Not much info about that fateful sortie. PM me and I'll give you the name. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

9 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I get chills everytime I hear those babies. 

We lost a cousin in WW2 when his plane was shot down somewhere in Europe, 

Two years ago I was sitting in a parking lot in Lakefield and heard a roar coming towards me and when I looked up it was an old WW2 B-29 bomber. A couple years earlier I had a B17 fly over my house. They bring these old planes up to Peterboro airports and take folks for rides and it sure is nice seeing them flying around the area. 

My Mom's brother was also a bomber pilot and was killed along with his crew when they went down.

39 minutes ago, lew said:

Two years ago I was sitting in a parking lot in Lakefield and heard a roar coming towards me and when I looked up it was an old WW2 B-29 bomber. A couple years earlier I had a B17 fly over my house. They bring these old planes up to Peterboro airports and take folks for rides and it sure is nice seeing them flying around the area. 

My Mom's brother was also a bomber pilot and was killed along with his crew when they went down.

The sound of those mamouth Rolls Royce engines screaming low enough in the sky to see the colour of the pilots eyes, or close, never gets old. I'm sure they aren't all RR's but most are especially if the aircaraft is British or Canadian built. All Avro's are Canuck aircraft. The air show, when air shows were the real deal, in Hamilton were always on Father's Day. One of Dad's favorite things was going to the airshow, the only athletic past time he enjoyed was golf. So up until he was about 65 my 2 brothers, Dad and I booked a round of golf just across Upper James St. in Mount Hope and just across from the airport. It was the only time he would allow us to golf with him. So we got to play a round once a year with him and take in the airshow simutaniously at the same time. A good day especially for the rather frugal (cheap) brother. He throws nickels around like they are manhole covers. That was both the happiest and sometimes saddest day of the year for me. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The sound of those mamouth Rolls Royce engines screaming low enough in the sky to see the colour of the pilots eyes, or close, never gets old. I'm sure they aren't all RR's but most are especially if the aircaraft is British or Canadian built. All Avro's are Canuck aircraft. The air show, when air shows were the real deal, in Hamilton were always on Father's Day. One of Dad's favorite things was going to the airshow, the only athletic past time he enjoyed was golf. So up until he was about 65 my 2 brothers, Dad and I booked a round of golf just across Upper James St. in Mount Hope and just across from the airport. It was the only time he would allow us to golf with him. So we got to play a round once a year with him and take in the airshow simutaniously at the same time. A good day especially for the rather frugal (cheap) brother. He throws nickels around like they are manhole covers. That was both the happiest and sometimes saddest day of the year for me. 

Edit: I have to add that Dad golfed left handed but he did everything else righty. Years after he put the clubs away we asked him why lefts, he told us it was so we didn't use them. We grew up a few blocks from Kings Forest Golf Club in Hamilton a championship caliber civic course. Little did he know the baby brother switch hit and he used them almost every day sneaking on after 8 and play until dark.  Us 3 bros. all golfed, I played 1 round with him because my uncle insisted. I let him win. 

The Memorial Tree at our hunt camp, where we have our 11 November ceremony every year.  The bottles are "dead soldiers" and each poppy has a name on it.  The beer can was a commemorative Legion brew, and the cap was from a departed buddy who was a submariner. 

Memorial Tree 2021.jpg

Edited by akaShag
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1