Jump to content

New to Hunting


ckewley
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, Freshtrax said:

I have already told you this but Congrats!   Over the last 5 years or so Waterfowling as become my number 1 obsession.   I Still love fishing but there's something about being In the marsh and hearing and seeing the world spring I to life at sunrise.    All my fishing buddies  don't even call sept - Jan any more.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Sinker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, Freshtrax said:

I have already told you this but Congrats!   Over the last 5 years or so Waterfowling as become my number 1 obsession.   I Still love fishing but there's something about being In the marsh and hearing and seeing the world spring I to life at sunrise.    All my fishing buddies  don't even call sept - Jan any more.

 

 

Yep, I've been that way for at least 30 years. I rarely even consider fishing from duck opener unitl ice up. Before that, I would cry because I was too "young" to go on the cold days with my old man. I was dragged through the marsh from about 5 years old, and still to this day, love it more than anything else. I got my license the day I turned 16, and haven't looked back. 

 

S. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, Freshtrax said:

I have already told you this but Congrats!   Over the last 5 years or so Waterfowling as become my number 1 obsession.   I Still love fishing but there's something about being In the marsh and hearing and seeing the world spring I to life at sunrise.    All my fishing buddies  don't even call sept - Jan any more.

 

 

What the heck!! 

 

S. 

Edited by Sinker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once upon a time when I was a working stiff and did not have a lot of time off, fall meant steelheading, bow-hunting and duck hunting.  You can't really do all three, at least not in any reasonable way.  First to go was duck hunting, then steelheading.  I had a really good run of fall steelheading, but could still do that in the spring, so I did.  And I had a heck of a run with the bow, probably forty deer or so.  Maybe more, I lost track........

Now I am a retired old fart, and can do whatever I want.  And I hardly do ANY of those things any more!!!  So enjoy it while you are fairly young and vigorous!


Doug

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, akaShag said:

Once upon a time when I was a working stiff and did not have a lot of time off, fall meant steelheading, bow-hunting and duck hunting.  You can't really do all three, at least not in any reasonable way.  First to go was duck hunting, then steelheading.  I had a really good run of fall steelheading, but could still do that in the spring, so I did.  And I had a heck of a run with the bow, probably forty deer or so.  Maybe more, I lost track........

Now I am a retired old fart, and can do whatever I want.  And I hardly do ANY of those things any more!!!  So enjoy it while you are fairly young and vigorous!


Doug

I know of a few wheelchair accessible blinds.  My kids better be wheeling me out.    

If you ever want to get out shag. I'm shure a few of us could put it together.  Misfish could you pop a 410 with your eyes? 

Just packed the truck headed out in the morning... 

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Freshtrax said:

If you ever want to get out shag. I'm shure a few of us could put it together. 

That's mighty kind of you, and thanks!  I am not the fit young man I once was, but I can still do pretty much anything I want to.  I hunted the full two weeks of rifle season for deer, and will be hunting the smokepole season this coming week.  But a lot of the stuff I used to do is really a young person's game.  Like wading in ice cold water up above your family jewels, on a slippery bottom and with a strong current, for example.............same thing for wading out in a swamp to recover downed ducks and geese. 

I hope you had a good shoot this morning!

Doug (aka Shag)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duck hunting is definitely addictive. Years ago in my 20's I too got up at 3 am loaded up the hunting gear and drove to Valens to secure a stand before others got there and sometimes spending the night in the parking lot in my van just to get a stand. Even a broken leg would not stop me. Full length leg cast and friends to carry me to the stand. ( I had a great black Lab that would retrieve ducks so the broken leg was no problem). Like anything though, with age and work and growing kids things tend to fall by the way side and so did my duck hunting. All the stories bring back memories and very enjoyable. Now I'm semi-retired, my son is in his early twenties and keen on hunting and fishing. Its time to start some serious hunting again and catching up with one another. No better place to do that then on a hunting or fishing trip together.

Christopher and I ATV's.jpg

the stand.jpg

In the stand.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...