New to Hunting

ckewley

On 11/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, Freshtrax said:

I have already told you this but Congrats!   Over the last 5 years or so Waterfowling as become my number 1 obsession.   I Still love fishing but there's something about being In the marsh and hearing and seeing the world spring I to life at sunrise.    All my fishing buddies  don't even call sept - Jan any more.

Edited by Sinker

I have already told you this but Congrats!   Over the last 5 years or so Waterfowling as become my number 1 obsession.   I Still love fishing but there's something about being In the marsh and hearing and seeing the world spring I to life at sunrise.    All my fishing buddies  don't even call sept - Jan any more.

Yep, I've been that way for at least 30 years. I rarely even consider fishing from duck opener unitl ice up. Before that, I would cry because I was too "young" to go on the cold days with my old man. I was dragged through the marsh from about 5 years old, and still to this day, love it more than anything else. I got my license the day I turned 16, and haven't looked back. 

S. 

What the heck!! 

S. 

Edited by Sinker

Once upon a time when I was a working stiff and did not have a lot of time off, fall meant steelheading, bow-hunting and duck hunting.  You can't really do all three, at least not in any reasonable way.  First to go was duck hunting, then steelheading.  I had a really good run of fall steelheading, but could still do that in the spring, so I did.  And I had a heck of a run with the bow, probably forty deer or so.  Maybe more, I lost track........

Now I am a retired old fart, and can do whatever I want.  And I hardly do ANY of those things any more!!!  So enjoy it while you are fairly young and vigorous!

Doug

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, akaShag said:

Once upon a time when I was a working stiff and did not have a lot of time off, fall meant steelheading, bow-hunting and duck hunting.  You can't really do all three, at least not in any reasonable way.  First to go was duck hunting, then steelheading.  I had a really good run of fall steelheading, but could still do that in the spring, so I did.  And I had a heck of a run with the bow, probably forty deer or so.  Maybe more, I lost track........

Now I am a retired old fart, and can do whatever I want.  And I hardly do ANY of those things any more!!!  So enjoy it while you are fairly young and vigorous!

Doug

I know of a few wheelchair accessible blinds.  My kids better be wheeling me out.    

If you ever want to get out shag. I'm shure a few of us could put it together.  Misfish could you pop a 410 with your eyes? 

Just packed the truck headed out in the morning... 

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Freshtrax said:

If you ever want to get out shag. I'm shure a few of us could put it together. 

That's mighty kind of you, and thanks!  I am not the fit young man I once was, but I can still do pretty much anything I want to.  I hunted the full two weeks of rifle season for deer, and will be hunting the smokepole season this coming week.  But a lot of the stuff I used to do is really a young person's game.  Like wading in ice cold water up above your family jewels, on a slippery bottom and with a strong current, for example.............same thing for wading out in a swamp to recover downed ducks and geese. 

I hope you had a good shoot this morning!

Doug (aka Shag)