New to Hunting

ckewley

It's been a very long road for me but I've finally made it. This past weekend I tried my hand at a little duck hunting, not successful I might add but did walk away with a couple courtesy of my hunting partner, a Blue Bill & a Wood Duck.  Then a few evenings ago went went out again only this time I had dialled things in a bit & walked away with my first 3 ducks, a Ring Neck, Blue Bill & Teal Wing. I gotta say I'm extremely hooked now & find myself quite lucky as Cooks Bay is now steps from my home so evening hunts or fishing is within my grasp. Now the long road of collecting gear is ahead of me. 

Speaking of gear, can anyone suggest a good store, besides the big box stores, that have a good supply of stuff & friendly folks?  Oh and any good recipes for duck? I can taste the difference between the Divers & Puddle, although I haven't got one of the really fishy Divers yet.

received_695022374812191.jpeg

received_464549955015314.jpeg

• Like 1

Don’t shoot the long white ducks with the green heads and long beaks.  That will be an eating experience you will never forget or want to replicate!  And  Buying hunting gear from small shops is getting harder everywhere unfortunately.  We only have a few small shops out my way and some of the better ones have closed down.  I deal with Clinton sporting goods  and do most of my business for shooting, reloading and hunting gear with him, great shop and owner is awesome to deal with, plus my range is just down the street so I get there every time I go shooting. But that’s a heck of a long way from cooks bay and I don’t know if he ships.  I have also done a lot of business with Elwood Epps for over 25 years and have never been disappointed with them.  I stop in every time when we are heading to our place up North.  Best place in Ontario for used firearms selection.  Also in the Orillia area is Trombly’s tackle box.  The owner Remi is a stand up guy and old hunting buddy of mine.  Very good selection and a nice shop to look around, with a lot of selection.  That’d be where I look.  Between Trombly’s, Epps and Wolfs Den you should cover all your bases!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Waterfowling is my #1 addiction. Good luck paying your bills from now on LOL....seriously....

I've been playing that game since I was just a kid tagging along with my old man, now I have had to build an extra large shed just for some of the gear. Its rediculous.  

There's no place I'd rather be than in a marsh at daylight though. Its something special just being there. 

Search for used gear on marketplace etc.....One thing I will tell you from a lot of experience is you don't need fancy gear to kill ducks. Just get lots :) 

S. 

• Like 3

Thanks for Wolfs Den Brian, I went there this past weekend a bought my first shotgun. A used one but it cycles well so I'm set to go until the world gets back to production. Apparently firearms & ammunition is in very short supply so I'm OK with waiting a bit now until I can get the one I really want. 

Thanks Porkpie, when I started down this road I really wanted to get out and learn from experienced (& ethical) hunters, count myself very lucky I have a few in my friend pile. I know it will take me years yet to gain the eyesight my buddy has as he can pick out the birds miles off & know what type they are. I've been lucky to nail some Blue bills, Teals, Ringnecks & Woodies thus far, Mallards have stayed well outside my reach (geese too). (thanks for Epps, I completely forgot about them, I will check out Trombly's)

Yes Sinker I can see this getting out of hand but as I said I'm quite lucky that I have a few friends I can go with that will keep costs down....for now at least. Thanks for the marketplace idea

• Like 1

Have fun, hunting is a rewarding activity even when your not successful!.  Marketplace idea is very good as well, also kijiji.  I picked up 4 ladder stands in good condition for our place up north this year for less than half the cost of new…  Sinker is correct, you don’t need new or latest and greatest to be successful.  Just about everything I own, from fishing to hunting gear has been bought used in very good to excellent condition including most of my firearms.  There is a deal around every corner if your paying attention!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, porkpie said:

I picked up 4 ladder stands in good condition for our place up north this year for less than half the cost of new…

To bad you did not post you were looking, I have 4 up at my pops doing nothing. Unless my brothers scooped them up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

To bad you did not post you were looking, I have 4 up at my pops doing nothing. Unless my brothers scooped them up.

I’ll send you a message…. I’m not looking right now but I haven’t managed to survey the whole place as yet and I might want a couple more once I figure out the right spots!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, porkpie said:

I’ll send you a message…. I’m not looking right now but I haven’t managed to survey the whole place as yet and I might want a couple more once I figure out the right spots!

If they are still there, they are yours,FREE. Well maybe a spot for me for archery hunting.LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, misfish said:

If they are still there, they are yours,FREE. Well maybe a spot for me for archery hunting.LOL

That’s pretty generous buddy, you can archery hunt if you want but it’s in WMU 41 and doe tags are 40 percent draw odds and deer herds are skinny compared to down here LOL. Bears aren’t a problem though LOL Come for a coffee in the spring and I’ll get the map out and show you some things out my way too!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, porkpie said:

You should send Brian a PM.  He kindly offered me all 4, but that is more than I can use so it’d be nice if someone else can utilize them!

Thanks.  He and I "know" each other, so I reckon he will be in touch if he still has something to donate to a worthy cause.  😉

I have already told you this but Congrats!   Over the last 5 years or so Waterfowling as become my number 1 obsession.   I Still love fishing but there's something about being In the marsh and hearing and seeing the world spring I to life at sunrise.    All my fishing buddies  don't even call sept - Jan any more.

• Like 1

Absolutely man. It was nothing for me to get up at 3am and drive for 3-4 hrs for the morning bite fishing! I can see me getting up at 1-2am and doing the same for hunting birds. I am truly amazed at this world! I would never have thought birds to be "smart" but they have definitely out smarted me more than a few times. Doubt I'll use the word Birdbrain as a negative again.