The lowest form of people - thieves

Ron

Cops and the judges work for the government and that dominates their thinking. The cost of keeping a prisoner in jail, in Canada , IS UNBELIEVABLY EXPENSIVE. FEDERAL INMATES COST OVER $100k PER ANNUM. THROWING THEM IN JAIL FOR $2-3 k WORTH OF PROPERTY IS NOT WORTH IT TO THEM, or to us. Insure your stuff and don't leave your really valuable stuff in plain sight.  

• Like 2

Its worth it to me...if we have the attitude that its okay and not worth the effort or not worth it arresting these idiots than everyone will do it. There is money to be made in stealing.

Then lets see how that plays out for everyone. Not only will theft increase but if all claims go to insurance just wait and see what your insurance costs will be. So who other than the thief wins ?

• Like 3

I sort of agree but I also know that space is limited in jail, the courts, in probation etc. The cops have to pick their fights.  Non violent relatively minor loses DO figure into it., sorry to say. Personally it would not bother me if the powers that be executed felons,  drug users, Jihadis, etc. But they won't and we all know it so it's best to not leave stuff in sight as it's an open invitation. I'd also urge you to move but truth is I lived in Oakville up until 2019 and in that year  there were 2 murders within blocks of my home, the FBI informed Halton that it was a focus of crime tourism originating in Chile, Columbia and Peru and my friends that still live there say the crime spree continues unabated. I'm now in St Catharines and LOTS of people here LOOK like the criminal element but I have had no problems other than some incredibly discourteous, reckless drivers that are doubly so when I'm on foot. Going for a walk is supposed to be healthy but around here it could easily get you killed.

There is still the cops investigation, court (many appearances likely) the ankle bracelet itself, the monitoring system ands the inevitable follow up arrests and then incarceration when junkies go out looking for their fix abrogating their court ordered confinement. I'm betting the path of least resistance for the cops, prosecutors and judges is don't bother investigating throw it over to the insurance industry to resolve. As matter of fact I know that's the way it works and it has worked that way since I was involved with the police in the 1990's. It has not gotten better since then, in fact it's far worse now than then. I know of serious criminals that got away with their crimes in the 90's because the cops or prosecutors were unable to wrap their heads around the crime or there was not the $$$ available to successfully investigate the crime let alone get a conviction. There's also the big issue in the 90's and I'm pretty sure the same applies today, that there is a serious lack of available places to put people in physical jail. No vacancy, literally.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, Fisherman said:

Along with the cops not being interested, it's the judges and lawyers that keep the criminals out of jail to continue the process,   arrest, in, and out, lawyers get paid.

Who exactly gets the opening in the cell that is built to house 2 crooks but has 4 or 5 jammed into it? Prisons are overcrouded badly, when a judge decides who gets to be a guest of the crown for 10 to 15 for murder or some homeless druggie stealing rods and reels to get his or her fix who gets to go  back to live under the bridge because the inn is full? 

On 10/29/2021 at 11:42 AM, chessy said:

if that reel is no longer available they have to go to the next step up .. 

Insurance companies do not send you replacements for whatever is lost in a theft. They send you a cheque. As far as "they have to go to the next step" not unless it is in your policy. It might be the replacement cost if that is stipulated in your policy as well, hopefully one pays the few bucks extra for replacement cost otherwise they are paying very little by the time they calculate thier formula for depreciation on a comprehensive claim. Not many insurance firms offer comprehensive policies with less than $1000.00 deductable these days, some more I'm told depending where you live. Believe me, I have been dealing with auto insurance for exactly 50 years now. Man I'm old for sure. 

9 hours ago, Snidley said:

Cops and the judges work for the government and that dominates their thinking. The cost of keeping a prisoner in jail, in Canada , IS UNBELIEVABLY EXPENSIVE. FEDERAL INMATES COST OVER $100k PER ANNUM. THROWING THEM IN JAIL FOR $2-3 k WORTH OF PROPERTY IS NOT WORTH IT TO THEM, or to us. Insure your stuff and don't leave your really valuable stuff in plain sight.  

Bang on Snidley. Don't leave anything in your vehicle for some creep to scoff (the word for steal in Hamilton in the 60's) One valuable lesson unfortunatly. Earlier you talked about executing all sorts of criminals including druggies. I'll self edit myself.......This subject will get us all riled up. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You are right Old. Execution is probably not what I would want. I did watch a program on TV that discussed the issue of drug addicts in Seattle. One of the people interviewed was an EMT, on a live call, at a junkies address saving him from OD FOR THE 6TH TIME. HE said  it's time to just let them go freeing up his time for other, sober, people that are having life threatening episodes. The cost in $$, in wasted effort, and in rationed attention to non drug addicts is just galling, at least to that particular EMT. Having lived in Vancouver for 6 years I can tell you that people here in Ontario have NO IDEA how bad it can get with druggies. I have recent personal knowledge of a 34 year old guy who at a christening party for his newborn sniffed up some coke and promptly expired. The cause was Fentanyl, in his cocaine.  An accident? No, deliberate assinine behavior by a 34 year old, wealthy, fool who MUST have know that this is a likely result of putting your health and safety in the hands of a drug dealer with a massive vested interest to cut Fentanyl into his product.  This fact must be a nightly subject on the Vancouver news yet this goof did it anyway.

2 hours ago, Snidley said:

I have recent personal knowledge of a 34 year old guy who at a christening party for his newborn sniffed up some coke and promptly expired. The cause was Fentanyl, in his cocaine.  An accident? No, deliberate assinine behavior by a 34 year old, wealthy, fool who MUST have know that this is a likely result of putting your health and safety in the hands of a drug dealer with a massive vested interest to cut Fentanyl into his product.  This fact must be a nightly subject on the Vancouver news yet this goof did it anyway.

Question for you.  I can understand dealers maybe cutting their coke with something more addictive to hook more customers, Still though, cocaine is an "upper" while opiates are a "downer" drug, so that mix just doesn't work. I just looked it up, fentanyl is 50 times as potent as heroin, that was the heavy filtered try again please back in the 70's 80's when I was growing up. That's major nasty.  But with all the fentanyl related deaths all they are doing is losing customers, so logically that makes no sense. Now of course it's easy to speculate that for some of them their brains are so fried they can't even do that right and put in a lethal amount, it sure doesn't take much. Or more than likely for the big boys they just don't give a crap so long as they keep gaining customers overall.

You are right though, albeit pretty hard on the guy man. But hey, I get where you're coming from. With the situation being well known he should have known better and realized the increased risks, but as it turned out he trusted someone he shouldn't have that likely trusted someone else. It's not like someone in his position is buying it off a street corner where it often comes from clandestine labs with questionable quality.

Real sad story over all, it must have been devastating for family. Then imagine what the mother will have to go through once the child is considered old enough to know, that would a hard one for sure. Such a shame...

Cheers

13 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Insurance companies do not send you replacements for whatever is lost in a theft. They send you a cheque. As far as "they have to go to the next step" not unless it is in your policy. It might be the replacement cost if that is stipulated in your policy as well, hopefully one pays the few bucks extra for replacement cost otherwise they are paying very little by the time they calculate thier formula for depreciation on a comprehensive claim. Not many insurance firms offer comprehensive policies with less than $1000.00 deductable these days, some more I'm told depending where you live. Believe me, I have been dealing with auto insurance for exactly 50 years now. Man I'm old for sure. 

some policies  say "replacement value will now be known throughout the rest of policy as actual cash value at the time of the loss or theft".    make sure replacement value is actually replacement value..... and when doing your house  MAKE DAM SURE YOU HAVE BYLAW AND ORDANACE