Gettin Ready For hardwater. Eskimo Ice hut

atvaholic

Just purchased this on marketplace eskimo 767. Taking my kids way up North this winter to go ice fishing. Anyone familiar with this model? It is non insulated, will it still retain some heat with the little buddy heater? Any suggestions to fit 3 people in there? Its a 2 - 3 person hut, Wanna fit me and 2 kids but it will be tight.

20211025_114207.jpg

Edited by atvaholic
add pic

I've had a similar size non-insulated tent and the little buddy did great for me. Kids were fishing without coats on.  Certainly wasn't fishing in extreme weather or anything with kids.

Space is harder to say...probably depends on your kids. That space heater will melt coats/pants really quick if they get too close so that's something to watch with kids. If you smell something, it's already too late ha,.

I use a similar-sized hut when I fish with my kids who are 6 and 8. You should be okay with heat, the only time we ever run into any sort of issue is when it's really windy outside. Usually if that happens I'll shovel snow onto the apron of the hut to seal it up and keep the wind out.

If you're setting it up in the wind, put at least one anchor into the ice before you open it up. That way you have something to hook the hut onto, rather than trying to hold onto the hut with one hand while you try like hell to put an anchor in. Chased my hut across Simcoe one day after making that mistake...

When I'm out with both kids, I'll usually set them up in the hut with a line each and one hole for the flasher. With three in the hut, I usually set up in a diagonal manner. Me in the middle with my back against the corner, one kid on each side.

Congrats on the hut, they make a huge difference when fishing with kids.

• Like 1

As mentioned, pile snow on the apron so wind doesn't creep in.  Also some mats just to keep their feet from direct contact with the ice.  

for space the boys sit in opposite corners on one side and you in the middle on the other side.

regards

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, irishfield said:

Go to CTC and buy their foam cheap yoga mat (about 3/8" thick), then slice it up to fit your interior set up pattern. I did that about 10 years back and gave each of my fishing buddies a slice for their floor, still using the same ones.

I have been using a piece of foam for a few years now. Worked great. I found with the new NAT boots,it,s not really needed with the thick rubber sole.

9 hours ago, Ronzo said:

If you're setting it up in the wind, put at least one anchor into the ice before you open it up. That way you have something to hook the hut onto, rather than trying to hold onto the hut with one hand while you try like hell to put an anchor in.

One thing I found best about this, is to use bungee cords. They have give and will not break . I removed all the ropes ( strings from mine ) and just use bungees on all four sides.

I use the ones you can buy at the dollar store. Heavy duty . They have carabiner hooks on both ends. Easy clip on and off .

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

For a foot mat, I went to the $store and got the kids click together mat/pads and YES they really help on the feet and overall hut warmth.  

The hut size should be good for 1 adult and 2 pre-teen kids as a hut of that size worked for me and my kids.  Get a folding shovel for covering the skirts as others have said to ue to move snow and cover the skirt(s).  Also, keep the heater off the ice too so the propane tank doesn't freeze as fast as they can.