Hard water planning

bobowski

Hey guys. With the cold weather today it got me thinking about ice fishing this year. I'm looking to plan a trip in mid January around the haliburton area. I've done some research and narrowed it down to a handful of lakes. We have a group of guys going so mainly just want to get into some numbers of fish if possible with size being a bonus. Target species would be Lakers and Walleyes. If you guys had to chose between these 5 lakes what would you chose? 

Maple, Redstone, Eagle, Kushog or Kashagawigamog. 

I don't want to blow up anyone's spot or anything so feel free to DM me if you like. Any info would help guys. I've never really ice fished this area. Cheers guys. 

17 minutes ago, bobowski said:

With the cold weather today it got me thinking about ice fishing this year

Had some light snow flurries over here in my little corner of the Kawartha's this morning if that makes you feel any better LOL

Edited by lew
  • Like 1

I'd shoot for redstone/eagle area, but in january the ice can still be sketchy on some of those bigger lakes. Lots and lots of smaller lakes in that area, and if you have machines to get around, you could fish a handful of lakes each day if you wanted for specks/splake. Maple would be my choice for walleye. 

Haliburton/percy lake can also be great for trout, and decent whities as well. 

S. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sinker said:

I'd shoot for redstone/eagle area, but in january the ice can still be sketchy on some of those bigger lakes. Lots and lots of smaller lakes in that area, and if you have machines to get around, you could fish a handful of lakes each day if you wanted for specks/splake. Maple would be my choice for walleye. 

Haliburton/percy lake can also be great for trout, and decent whities as well. 

S. 

Perfect. Thanks so much for the info. Really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

For those that are getting their stuff together, you may want to stock up on the 1lb propane bottles before the price really goes nuts,  CTC has a 3 pack for $20, limit of 2 per customer,  some guys in the US are reporting the price is up to $17 for a 2 pack.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, Fisherman said:

For those that are getting their stuff together, you may want to stock up on the 1lb propane bottles before the price really goes nuts,  CTC has a 3 pack for $20, limit of 2 per customer,  some guys in the US are reporting the price is up to $17 for a 2 pack.

Everyone should stop buying those stupid things and just get a 5 or 10lb tank. Things run much better and those little 1lb hazardous waste bombs are good for nothing. 

S. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 12:36 PM, Sinker said:

Everyone should stop buying those stupid things and just get a 5 or 10lb tank. Things run much better and those little 1lb hazardous waste bombs are good for nothing. 

S. 

or buy the gizmo that allows you to refill the small bottles from a 20 lb tank...................

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 3:45 PM, akaShag said:

or buy the gizmo that allows you to refill the small bottles from a 20 lb tank...................

I have one, and I still prefer the bigger tanks. Like wayne, I use a 20ber. Things just work better using the big tank. No freeze up, no low running, always full heat at all times. No strain on the tank with that volume. 

My 5lb tank is also great, but I only really use it when I'm walking or hauling a ton of gear into the back woods. 

Regardless, the 1lb tanks are hazardous waste. You can't even get rid of them, so they end up in the ditch. I hate those things. 

S.