Legal limit

Manfy

Hey everyone ! 

I need your help 

There is a situation I need to get clarified here

Both my friends have fishing licenses and they left there fish up at there parents cottage, well there parents got caught by a game warden and are getting charged for possession over limit. They lawyer says for my friends to sign an afidavid saying they left there fish up there. Should I tell them not to sign as charged might be less for there parents but now come back on them for leaving there catch there ??? 

29 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

I suspect there's more to the story than shown.  If A and B left their fish at the parents cottage, the parents can possess the legal limit of each person giving it to them.  No licence required.  How many did they leave?

They didn't gift any they just left there 4 fish up there and went home 

And the home owners are in possession 

mom not saying it’s right but it is the way the law is

a judge May believe they were going to come back for them and go easy on them 

but I wouldn’t count on it 

we were told that if we wanted one car to transport all our fish in the cooler from a fishing camp  while some people were in other vehicles, we would have to have them packaged in individual bags sealed and with name address and phone number . Types of fish  and numbers  of fish 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry said:

And the home owners are in possession 

mom not saying it’s right but it is the way the law is

a judge May believe they were going to come back for them and go easy on them 

but I wouldn’t count on it 

we were told that if we wanted one car to transport all our fish in the cooler from a fishing camp  while some people were in other vehicles, we would have to have them packaged in individual bags sealed and with name address and phone number . Types of fish  and numbers  of fish 

Thank you helps alot 

On 10/7/2021 at 7:35 PM, Fisherman said:

I suspect there's more to the story than shown.

WHY would the game wardens be checking out somebody's cottage???  COs have a lot of work to do, without checking up on cottage owners who may have somebody else's fish in their possession....and BTW why would they suspect this?  Definitely more to this story than what is written here.

• Like 8

On 10/7/2021 at 7:41 PM, Terry said:

Even if you gift fish  to a person that person can not possess over a limit 

so from the little info you gave, they are guilty 

But two people each leaving a daily limit of fish would not put them over the possession limit… 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:07 PM, Manfy said:

Hey everyone ! 

I need your help 

There is a situation I need to get clarified here

Both my friends have fishing licenses and they left there fish up at there parents cottage, well there parents got caught by a game warden and are getting charged for possession over limit. They lawyer says for my friends to sign an afidavid saying they left there fish up there. Should I tell them not to sign as charged might be less for there parents but now come back on them for leaving there catch there ??? 

How many fish over limit?  
if it’s a lot if could be a big fine.  
you say the parents were not over limit until other fish were left so two extra limits?

I would not sign anything because that doesn’t take away that the law was broke.  
they broke the law and are guilty.  
pay fine.  
id like to here the rest of the story.  Did they pull the Gill nets.  

24 minutes ago, akaShag said:

OR if they have no fishing licence, AND are not yet 65 years old......

Actually, a license is not required to possess fish.  I think that there must be more than two limits of fish involved here.  Plus, the CO/Game Warden must have suspected something in order for them to inspect the freezer to begin with.  I suspect that there is a little more to the story than what we are being told.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Actually, a license is not required to possess fish.  I think that there must be more than two limits of fish involved here.  Plus, the CO/Game Warden must have suspected something in order for them to inspect the freezer to begin with.  I suspect that there is a little more to the story than what we are being told.

I did not know that one could possess game fish without a licence, but that makes sense.  If I give a feed of fish to a friend who is shut-in due to a health condition, she does not need a licence.  Not that I asked her about this....

But yes there is more to this story..............

• Like 3

2 hours ago, glen said:

How many fish over limit?  
if it’s a lot if could be a big fine.  
you say the parents were not over limit until other fish were left so two extra limits?

I would not sign anything because that doesn’t take away that the law was broke.  
they broke the law and are guilty.  
pay fine.  
id like to here the rest of the story.  Did they pull the Gill nets.  

There were no nets its a cottage for family other family left there limits there so one person got caught with all fish 

Unfortunately they were not based and tagged right 

2 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Maybe someone else got tired of the over harvesting and made a call.

There was no news evolved 

It's a family cottage so multiple people stay there 

There is a deep freezer so instead of taking the fish home they left them there and headed home is it ilegal to leave ur fish there if u have a fishing license do they have go always go where you go 

42 minutes ago, Manfy said:

There was no news evolved 

It's a family cottage so multiple people stay there 

There is a deep freezer so instead of taking the fish home they left them there and headed home is it ilegal to leave ur fish there if u have a fishing license do they have go always go where you go 

If you leave multiple possessions in the same freezer then they must be packaged to be able to make an accurate count and labelled with individual ownership.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1