I love my Argo Part 2

Big Cliff

Well my adventures are winding down for this season, I have to say this thing has amazed me at so many levels. I have gone through stuff I wouldn't have even tried with a 4 wheeler, up hills where 4 wheeler s even with big lug tires were having trouble, through rock mazes where you had to make 90° turns and swamps and mud holes that would have previously stop in my tracks. This thing gave me opportunities to fish, explore, harvest in places I could never have even come close to without it and I never even got my feet wet! It's a joy to operate and fish from and I have a freezer full of fish to do me until hard water fishing. I do love my Argo!

The dealership was a different issue, broken promises, mistakes galore, lack of service..... I had one issue with the tachometer from day one. Waited all summer for them to get a replacement in and when they did finally get it, it didn't resolve the issue. Left the Argo with them with a promise they would call me back the following week. Two weeks later no call back and when I called them; "they were too busy to even look at it".

In total frustration I picked it up and brought it home but on the way I stopped at RMC Argo Sales in Beaverton. I explained what the problem was and even though I hadn't bought it from him Roy had no problem taking a look at it right then and there. 15 Minutes later he had it fixed, not only that but he checked everything over for me, idler chain adjustment and everything NO CHARGE!

I really wish now that I had bought my unit from him, he has over 20 years experience on Argos and boy does he know his stuff. Two of my friends are buying Argos this spring, you know who they will be going to. Roy did mention that now is the time to get your order in to take advantage of Argo's promotions for delivery next spring. If you are thinking of buying one check him out!

• Like 7

man that's great news about how the argo has been a champ for you on your adventures. Sorry about the dealership that only wanted your money, but glad that you found a better one ! I'd be tempted to let Argo head office know about the piss poor service from the dealership, and hope they light a fire under their backside.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spiel said:

I've always liked those machines Cliff. Had a chance to play with one briefly on Simcoe ice many years ago.
Would be a great (functional) toy to own for sure.  :)

Amagine floating down the Notty in one of those. I could do the hill too. 😆 

Nothing worse then a dealership pulling crap like that Cliff. I hope you called him and told him you got it fixed. What an ass.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 5

On 10/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, misfish said:

Amagine floating down the Notty in one of those. I could do the hill too. 😆 

Nothing worse then a dealership pulling crap like that Cliff. I hope you called him and told him you got it fixed. What an ass.

Oh, I posted a review on Google, Argo sent me a survey and I filled it out honestly, I have let them know in no uncertian terms where they dropped the ball. Funny thing is almost all the Google reviews are glowing but you'd be surprised how many other reports I have had with experiences similar to mine. 

Anyway, I am happy now, I have a dealer close by that knows his stuff and can service my Argo when needed. 

As a bonus I am even going trout fishing next week to a little lake I haven't been able to fish for several years now because I couldn't manage to haule the boat and motor to it any more. So looking forward to it 😊

• Like 2

Chiming in here again, Cliff.  As you will recall, I have a lot of experience with these machines.  Some good, some bad.  My dealership here in Kingston told me about a week ago they are no longer going to sell or service Argos.  They can't get parts or after-sales service from the manufacturer and so did not sign on for their dealership renewal.  This leaves me in a bit of a pickle, since I can't basically do any of the service myself.  It is wonderful that you have a dealer that knows their stuff, but if they can't get parts.......................I am hoping that this is just another covid-related bump on the road, and I will find a dealership close enough that I can get service when I need it.

Have you been REALLY stuck yet?  When you are REALLY stuck with an Argo, it can be a spiritual experience!  😉

Doug

• Haha 1

Crap Doug that isn't good news about the Trenton Dealership, they were considered to be pretty good. I hope you are right and this is just a covid bump, Argo sales seem to be going really well lately as more people become aware of the versatility. 

No, inspite of really trying I have not been able to get this thing REALLY stuck LOL. Apart from when I first got it and got stuck in that little stream (which wouldn't even slow me down now) I have managed to get center hung a few times but always managed to work my way off just by shifting weight and such.

I love that I can drive right into a swamp and hunt from it (keys out of the ignition 😊 while hunting) don't need a dog or waders to go get birds, sit in a nice comfortable seat with a big thermous of hot soup.... and when the hunt is over just drive up to my door and unload. This thing has extended my hunting and fishing years significantly. 

As far as the service, I can do most of the regular stuff, grease, chain lube, oil changes.... I am slow at it (well I don't move too fast at anything anymore lol) but if you ever need help with that sort of stuff load it on your trailer, bring it up, spend a couple of days (guest room is always available) and  we can make an Argo adventure out of it. 😊

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

Crap Doug that isn't good news about the Trenton Dealership, they were considered to be pretty good. I hope you are right and this is just a covid bump, Argo sales seem to be going really well lately as more people become aware of the versatility. 

No, inspite of really trying I have not been able to get this thing REALLY stuck LOL. Apart from when I first got it and got stuck in that little stream (which wouldn't even slow me down now) I have managed to get center hung a few times but always managed to work my way off just by shifting weight and such.

I love that I can drive right into a swamp and hunt from it (keys out of the ignition 😊 while hunting) don't need a dog or waders to go get birds, sit in a nice comfortable seat with a big thermous of hot soup.... and when the hunt is over just drive up to my door and unload. This thing has extended my hunting and fishing years significantly. 

As far as the service, I can do most of the regular stuff, grease, chain lube, oil changes.... I am slow at it (well I don't move too fast at anything anymore lol) but if you ever need help with that sort of stuff load it on your trailer, bring it up, spend a couple of days (guest room is always available) and  we can make an Argo adventure out of it. 😊

Thanks Cliff!

It was actually Ward's Marine here in Kingston who has been my Argo dealer since I bought this one, but no longer...

Doug

Do you plan to use it icefishng Cliff? I haven't forgotten I owe you and your son a trip. I actually have 3 sleds now, but if you have the argo, we can go every week LOL.....I will wait up for you and show ya the spots bud!  I actually know a few spots where that argo would come in really handy LOL 

S.

4 hours ago, Sinker said:

Do you plan to use it icefishng Cliff? I haven't forgotten I owe you and your son a trip. I actually have 3 sleds now, but if you have the argo, we can go every week LOL.....I will wait up for you and show ya the spots bud!  I actually know a few spots where that argo would come in really handy LOL 

S.

Bloody Newfie giving away spots. Whats next ? LMAO

• Haha 1

I guess  that’s how the Grand Banks got fished out eh  b’y.  

argos.  The machine in the dreams.  First seen on tv pounding through the bush fishing and hunting in the 1970s.  Then In the snow with the tracks.  Nice to see someone having fun.  

On 10/9/2021 at 12:44 PM, Sinker said:

S.

I hadn't planned on using it for ice fishing originally but after seeing how easy it is for me to handle and how easy it is to pack gear I am seriously thinking I just might on the nicer days. I don't think I would even need tracks on Simco except on rare occasions.

I am looking at ways to mount an auger on it (kind of like a post hole digger on a bobcat) so I don't even have to get out to punch holes. (You know the old saying "give the laziest man the toughest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it" 😊). 

On 10/9/2021 at 5:00 PM, misfish said:

Bloody Newfie giving away spots. Whats next ? LMAO

Giving away spots? My memory is so bad I actually wrap my own Christmas presents on Christmas eve and am surprised when I open them on Christmas morning. 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:
On 10/9/2021 at 12:44 PM, Sinker said:

I hadn't planned on using it for ice fishing originally but after seeing how easy it is for me to handle and how easy it is to pack gear I am seriously thinking I just might on the nicer days. I don't think I would even need tracks on Simco except on rare occasions.

A six wheel Argo will bottom out and spin in about six inches of snow.  I don't know what the snow-stopping depth is for an eight-wheel Argo because I always have tracks on my current one in winter, and had "super tracks" on my old one.  You'd be fine on bare ice, or ice with a skiff of snow.  NOT fine in deeper snow, nor slush.  Climbing an icy slope is tricky with either bare tires or tracks, but less hairy with tracks.

Tracks will increase by a significant margin your Argo footprint on its trailer.  Basically, if you did not get a trailer that would accommodate the tracks, chances are high that a tracked Argo will not fit inside the box.  (Assuming here it is not a flatbed, like many skidoo trailers)

HTH

Doug

Edited by akaShag

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

A six wheel Argo will bottom out and spin in about six inches of snow.  I don't know what the snow-stopping depth is for an eight-wheel Argo because I always have tracks on my current one in winter, and had "super tracks" on my old one.  You'd be fine on bare ice, or ice with a skiff of snow.  NOT fine in deeper snow, nor slush.  Climbing an icy slope is tricky with either bare tires or tracks, but less hairy with tracks.

Tracks will increase by a significant margin your Argo footprint on its trailer.  Basically, if you did not get a trailer that would accommodate the tracks, chances are high that a tracked Argo will not fit inside the box.  (Assuming here it is not a flatbed, like many skidoo trailers)

HTH

Doug

Thanks Doug, as always I truly appreciate your experience and input. My trailer is 6X10 so I am going to have to check out what my total width would be with tracks. My clearance on this unit with stock tires is 9.5" and it is 6 wheel  so I thought I might be ok on Simco since it is usually windblown for the most part. I really don't want to put tracks on it, might have been fine when I was younger but too hard for me to do by myself any more. I haden't initially planned on using it in the winter but the more I do with it, the more opportunities I seem to find that I can do. 

3 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

I really don't want to put tracks on it

I have absolutely zero experience with those machines Cliff but would chains work for better traction in snow or ice....if they're even available ?

Chains help for a few inches  of snow and works real well on ice however in deep snow you want the machine to float on the snow with chains it digs in as deep as it can and if it doesn’t connect with something solid you get stuck 

It's not hard to put the tracks on once you have done it once.  Deflate the front and rear tires a bunch, wrap the tracks around them and then use a ratchet strap with big hooks where they meet up, insert the rod and locking collar.  Pump tires back up.  If you go with the 18 inch ones, then you may require wheel spacers for extra body clearance.  I had the 12 inch ones on my Bigfoot 6x6 and never got stuck anywhere.   Only reason I sold it was they are not allowed on ATV trails.

1 hour ago, Terry said:

Chains help for a few inches  of snow and works real well on ice however in deep snow you want the machine to float on the snow with chains it digs in as deep as it can and if it doesn’t connect with something solid you get stuck 

Thanks Terry, that makes sense, as I said above I have no experience with them and was just wondering if it was a solution.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:02 AM, Big Cliff said:

Thanks Doug, as always I truly appreciate your experience and input. My trailer is 6X10 so I am going to have to check out what my total width would be with tracks. My clearance on this unit with stock tires is 9.5" and it is 6 wheel  so I thought I might be ok on Simco since it is usually windblown for the most part. I really don't want to put tracks on it, might have been fine when I was younger but too hard for me to do by myself any more. I haden't initially planned on using it in the winter but the more I do with it, the more opportunities I seem to find that I can do. 

95% of the time your argo would be perfect. The other 5%, you dont want to be out there anyways. Just pick your days based on conditions. I have 3 portable huts, your welcome to use anytime, and I will drill your holes. 

We will get out this year as long as the ice comes! With, or without the argo. 

S. 

• Like 1