Trailer harness from car acting up

Raycaster

Trailer lights are acting up and everything points to the trailer harness (uhaul install) being the culprit. Trailer wiring perfect but all I get is brake lights on 100%.

No running lights or signals.

Checked power to module fuse - good.

Checked ground - good.

My crappy Dodge Caravan 2012 lights work perfect and checked fuses.

The 3ft cable from module is not cut, checked at module and its not supplying signal lights etc.

While not an electrician I still consider myself pretty adept at electrical circuits and a 4 wire loom for a trailer isn’t rocket science.

I’m ready to just replace the module/harness and see CURT brands sold everywhere. Anyone have suggestions or something Im missing? As mentioned, the trailer is not in the equation, its not connected. The 4 wire connector has led indicators and they also show no signals.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56331

https://www.draw-tite.com/product/119178_taillight-converter

The bigger black object is the module? I am assuming it is your problem, on the Curt one the only review indicates a short lifespan? I don't see how power goes into it, but if it's working properly power should be coming out properly?

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the trailer is working 100%. The wire harness tapped into the vans electrical is the problem as it isnt providing proper voltage to the trailer.

The module is a basic relay setup avoiding any problems with trail light setup’s interfering with the cars electrical.

I know I should purchase a new wire connection module but my empty wallet is leaning towards just splicing into the old 2012 Caravan tail lights and making for a quick job 30 minute job. 

33 minutes ago, Raycaster said:

I know I should purchase a new wire connection module but my empty wallet is leaning towards just splicing into the old 2012 Caravan tail lights and making for a quick job 30 minute job. 

As long as you have brake and signal lights together on each side.  If you have separate brake and signal lights, it's either a module or 1 more light on each side.

If you have the 5 inputs (right & left turn, brake, tail lights and ground) going into the converter/module from the vehicle and not having the proper output signals. Then it has to be the module. Your next question should be why did the module take a dump? An intermittent connection on the trailer will take these boxes out every time. Even though you know the trailer lights all seem to work normally while you check them sitting still. Doesn't mean you don’t have an intermittent connection bouncing down the road. To try and check this you could try what Ford motor company still considers a viable test. They call it a wiggle test. LOL Turn your tail and brake lights on and literally wiggle and jiggle the wiring harness, connectors, where the harness goes into the light assembles and the actual bulbs. All the while watching if either of the bulbs flicker. Not saying that is what has happened to your rig; but it wouldn’t hurt to be sure it isn’t. 

Dan.