The Opeongo Shuffle - a guest report

gordy28

Newest Post is Up

Its another Algonquin report with a twist - I wasn't able to make it!

Thankfully my brother (and the group) stepped up to the plate and pulled together a report

They headed into Algonquin for 2 nights - Happy Ilse and Merchant Lake via the Opeongo shuttle 

All in all they had a great time, caught some fish, tried new gear - jealous I wasn't able to make it

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/the-opeongo-shuffle

Cheers

Andrew

DlCOADs.jpg

• Like 1

Well.......................I did the freeze-dried meals thing a lot when I was hiking and canoe camping forty or so years ago.  Maybe the meals are better now (and almost certainly this is true), BUT!!!!!  I will happily walk more loaded miles to eat real food, even if it means doubling a 2 km portage!

Doug

On 10/2/2021 at 9:14 PM, akaShag said:

Well.......................I did the freeze-dried meals thing a lot when I was hiking and canoe camping forty or so years ago.  Maybe the meals are better now (and almost certainly this is true), BUT!!!!!  I will happily walk more loaded miles to eat real food, even if it means doubling a 2 km portage!

Doug

Doug I know the guys made the meals themselves this time and by all accounts they were great.   I have found that we are starting to gravitate towards easier meals for our trips as opposed to decadent.   We just had a planning chat for our fly in next summer and a few of our more complicated meals got gassed for easier but hardy ones.  Re no smoker ribs this time instead a good pre made chili    Less time cooking and more time fishing and beers at the fore I guess lol 

Cheers

Andrew 

1 hour ago, gordy28 said:

I know the guys made the meals themselves

Thanks Andrew, for adding to my education.  I did not know that a person could freeze-dry their own food.  I still don't think I would go back to that kind of meals, but home-made is going to be better than dried cardboard in a foil pouch.............just add water and grumble.........🙄

22 hours ago, akaShag said:

Thanks Andrew, for adding to my education.  I did not know that a person could freeze-dry their own food.  I still don't think I would go back to that kind of meals, but home-made is going to be better than dried cardboard in a foil pouch.............just add water and grumble.........🙄

No worries.  Yeah I think home dehydrated food is the “new thing”.  Dehydrators are relatively cheap, you control what your eating and the ore bought meals are not cheap 

Andrew