Buying a US Boat

AKRISONER

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Ended up going and getting it myself. They let me in with all of the appropriate paper work, certified cheque, double vax receipt, negative covid test etc. 

All this for a "HOT FOOT"  bass boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:tease:

2 hours ago, misfish said:

All this for a "HOT FOOT"  bass boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:tease:

My favourite part was when I was literally about to leave Sunday and almost got myself trapped in the United States when I realized that my particular negative covid test was valid for entry into the United States but not for re-entry into canada.

got re-covid tested and tried yesterday. 

all I can say is, being organized, polite, respectful and outright honest about everything is a good policy when dealing with customs and border security. 

keys for me were, bill of sale already signed by the owner, certified cheque in the name of the owner and the title search done. 

on the way back, they wanted the bill of sale, the title search and the proof of manufacturing date for the trailer. My particular trailer being just barely over 15 years old allowed for exemption from the RIV program. At least from what I can tell thus far. We shall see what service Ontario says when I go there today.

also need to “re-plate” my boat as it has NY numbers on it and that won’t fly with the feds.

small bonus for the trip, I filled up the truck with diesel and the 130 litre boat tank with $3.80 per gallon ethanol free premium 

funny of course I got randomly selected to take yet another covid test when I got back to canada. So I paid my taxes and headed to the testing facility. Boat is home now, now to get some rigging done! 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

One more add on incase anyone ever searches this thread for information. If your trailer manufacturing date is older than 15 years old you are exempt from the RIV program and "canadian tire inspection"

They harp on the month of manufacture as well, my trailer had all of this info stamped on it so I was sure to take a photo of the manufacturer plate and this saved me a pile of hassle. Hull is registered with transport canada, Trailer is registered with the province, taxes are paid, insurance is ordered. Time to get rigged for some fishing this weekend!

• Like 3