Looking for advice on kayaks

So I’m looking to buy some inexpensive kayaks for the wife and I. One is just for touring around a small lake and the other should have some ability to do some fishing. We have a small dog, so room for it to sit aboard too would be a plus (but not necessary)

I know nothing about kayaks...what’s good and what’s bad. Both need to be really stable as we’re getting old and not in the best shape physically.

thoughts?

Cheaper kayaks (Costco, Canadian Tire) will be uncomfortable, heavy, cheaply made. However this level kayaks may be good enough for a small lake.
I was trout fishing in cheap Pelican small lake in Canadian Rockies last month. I survived, because the bite was on, views were incredible. But my back... oh boy.
Fishing kayaks... possibilities are endless basically. Sit in, sit on top, pedal drive, motorized etc Everybody's preference and budget is different.

The best advice I can give you: find a shop which can give you a test drive.
My buddy almost purchased sit on top after watching YouTube. He quickly changed his mind once he flipped it during the test drive.

7 hours ago, mamona said:

Cheaper kayaks (Costco, Canadian Tire) will be uncomfortable, heavy, cheaply made. However this level kayaks may be good enough for a small lake.
I was trout fishing in cheap Pelican small lake in Canadian Rockies last month. I survived, because the bite was on, views were incredible. But my back... oh boy.
Fishing kayaks... possibilities are endless basically. Sit in, sit on top, pedal drive, motorized etc Everybody's preference and budget is different.

The best advice I can give you: find a shop which can give you a test drive.
My buddy almost purchased sit on top after watching YouTube. He quickly changed his mind once he flipped it during the test drive.

Perfect thanks. Stability is a HUGE factor. I like swimming, but not from a kayak loaded with fishing gear. 

Wondering if an inflatable cat might be better (for fishing). There’s kayak racks at the shore but getting in the kayak is awkward with tough water access, think quarry walls etc. One rack is on a dock with steep and deep entry (get in at dock) and the other has a small set of steps leading in or the very steep boat launch. (Best option of the bunch)

Ive never tried one but I have to assume an inflatable cat might be easier to mount/dismount and easier to store at my site.

1 hour ago, mamona said:

I do not think you are going to find inflatable kayak suitable for fishing... I think you might find zodiac style inflatable boat quite useful :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:.

:dunno:

1602516371_20210515_090233(1).jpg.57f558f6d4e849674c3cf4f7c0625d6c.jpg20210515_081225.jpg.d04bcb67a7e812a8e73510c5df07b36c.jpgP6280025.JPG.f71cfcdd44de637c3cf3e3812e769d06.JPG

All my buddies that fish out here on the big water of Simcoe,ALL have sit on top. 2 motorized,1 pedal drive and one that paddles and has scotty stabilizers . One guy even has a 2.5 hp outboard rigged up on his . Might have a pic of it.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

I must add,I have fished from a sit on tube, inflatable pontoons and now this OutCast.  Sit on was very comfy, used flippers to get around. It was easy I must say. The pontoons ( had 3 ) Rowing is easy, can use flippers to maneuver around easy.  Other then the OutCast, the others can be lifted with easy and transported by putting on your back, and drop in the water .

On 9/21/2021 at 6:18 PM, misfish said:

Look how nice you can rig up a pontoon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL 2017.

That thing is awesome! 

so was the catch. I’ve never seen anyone do that with a fish. Assuming it’s a revival technique? How does the power dive help it? I’ve never caught silver so I’m unfamiliar 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

Just jumped into the kayak market this summer for the cottage.  New ones were pretty impossible to get. Sold out everywhere. 

Ended up buying 2 used ones. There is lots of info on line to help you make a decision.  We got 12 ft Riot Enderos. Very stable sit ins. Come with 1 hole for a rod butt. I’m surprised how comfortable and stable they are.  It’s a great upper body workout. Was pretty sore at the start. You get wet kayaking. The paddle up in the air drips a little or a lot depending on technique. With  the  sit on kayaks you get very wet- comes in through large holes and then drains out again.  So no good in cold water. 

Happy with what we’ve got. A little heavy at 55lb. They aren’t easy to handle alone out of the water. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, captpierre said:

Just jumped into the kayak market this summer for the cottage.  New ones were pretty impossible to get. Sold out everywhere. 

Ended up buying 2 used ones. There is lots of info on line to help you make a decision.  We got 12 ft Riot Enderos. Very stable sit ins. Come with 1 hole for a rod butt. I’m surprised how comfortable and stable they are.  It’s a great upper body workout. Was pretty sore at the start. You get wet kayaking. The paddle up in the air drips a little or a lot depending on technique. With  the  sit on kayaks you get very wet- comes in through large holes and then drains out again.  So no good in cold water. 

Happy with what we’ve got. A little heavy at 55lb. They aren’t easy to handle alone out of the water. 

Large rubber O rings will prevent most of the water that drips down the bar when paddling , and there are plugs you ca buy for those holes. Guys are out in wet suits, spring and fall.  Calm days they have the plugs in. When water get on the yak, they pull a plug or 2, drain and put back in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misfish said:

Large rubber O rings will prevent most of the water that drips down the bar when paddling , and there are plugs you ca buy for those holes. Guys are out in wet suits, spring and fall.  Calm days they have the plugs in. When water get on the yak, they pull a plug or 2, drain and put back in.

I just put on my Simms and hop in.  😉

11145152_1151391884887149_27142885807716

• Like 1