Breathable Waders

Eazy

Just curious as to what waders fellow anglers are using?

Personally I've found that anything under $500 is a waste of money and won't give you a full "dry" year.

I'm also assuming that its a regular occurrence to have a wet crotch area due to condensation after a few hours in them?

spend the money, you wont regret it. Although if you talk to PUMPKNOWSFISHING he will steer you away from simms. Ive been running simms and they only started with a small leak this spring after fishing them for 7 years.

Dont forget to super over dress under your waiters when making the switch. Breathable ones feel like standing in your regular pants in the river, you just dont get wet. I generally get pretty damn cold after a long stretch in the water and im usually wearing long underwear plus sweatpants and heavy socks. Late September mornings can be really cold with that flowing water pulling heat away from your legs.

Edited by AKRISONER

I have a pair of Streamside Guardian waders and I have been very happy with the product and the company.

I used my first pair for almost two years. I patched one hole in the foot with the included patch kit - I had bought very cheap wading boots at Canadian Tire and they wore a hole in the sock foot.  That's not really on Streamside, and they were otherwise great.  At just about two years old, they did spring a leak near the seam between the sock foot and the leg.  I called Streamside and they said they have a two year warranty and they replaced them with a newer style (that had a different seam btw) with no hassle.  Went to their place in Markham and did a straight exchange, easy-peasy.  The replacement pair is over a year old now and going strong, and I've put a fair number of  miles on them.

I think they were around 180 at Gagnon's.  I will be buying these again when my current pair needs replacing.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Dont forget to super over dress under your waiters when making the switch

......and nothing with cotton.  Get a pair of Under Armor base layer pants and a thick fleece track pant.  Not something cheap from Walmart, a performance fleece from Columbia (or a cheaper comparable quality brand).  I can be out in March or November and stand in the river a long time without getting cold using that setup.

Edited by Dutch01

Waders and breathable shouldn't be used in the same sentence.   I don't care which set of Simms you get, you're going to sweat if you do any sort of hiking.   That being said, Simms are all I've ever had.  Sent them back a few times for repairs and no issues.  Neoprenes for when it gets super cold out.    And you definitely want to layer..

1. Polypropylene base layer

2. Fleece/wool second layer

3. Your waders.  

Absolutely no cotton anywhere.   Get a set of ragwool/alpaca mitts to keep your hands toasty even if they get wet.

I have an older pair of simms headwaters goretex and a new pair of Patagonia. Simms are a bit heavier duty with thicker material. I fish alot and they've given me no proplems in 8 years or so. Just had new booties put on at simms as they were showing wear.  Fit of the patagonia are a bit better for me. Never used it but their warranty is supposed to be second to none and are probably worth a look. LL Bean also have a good rep and solid warranty with some good products

I bought a pair of Dryft about 5 years ago now & they have performed flawlessly. They are black so they heat up pretty fast in the sun but other than that zero complaints. No leaks & besides last year which didn't see me out fishing nowhere near as much as I usually do, I bush crash a lot & they are very durable. Best waders I've owned, highly recommend them. I put up a review a few years ago on this site, hadn't put many miles on them at that point.