Stepped on Shimano reel 🤕

captpierre

That's a pretty good bend. It will be hard to try and straighten that shaft with that cover in the way, let alone the chances of getting it perfectly straight to line up with the bearings. I would think you'd be able to buy a replacement part, but the thing you also need to consider is the potential internal damage done to the bearings themselves and the associated support structure. I would suggest removing the bearings and simply giving them a physical test to see if they rotate easily and nice and smooth, not bumpy at all. Bearings can be found for sure, might cost as much to ship them if you bought them on their own. If I was ordering a handle shaft assy I'd definitely order a set of bearings at the same time, just because. Lastly, while your doing that, make sure you take a real good look at the support frames on each side for cracks. Clean them real good and use magnification to inspect if you can. No use buying the other parts if the frame is shot, right?

At least it was you that stepped on it and not someone else hehe... Good luck

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, b2kptbo said:

Take or send it to Shimano in Peterborough, they have a box full of them at the desk by the door in the parking lot, I'm sure they will take care of you...

Shimano Peterborough is some of the best customer service I've ever come across.

• Like 1

I step on my shimano symmetry back in 1999. Won that tourney then won some small stuff . The next year won a tourney then won CSFL Classic plus some small stuff. The next 2001 same thing won some tourneys and the CSFL Classic.

Won few more more tourneys over next few years until I retired from big tourneys.

To this day I haven't fix the reel,  it's bend so bad it speeds up when it goes by the bend.

The reel is cheap so never worried about it.

Worth a call/email to Shimano to ask them the question about it.  If you love it, then make the call and take the whole reel to them and ask for a full service and replace the damaged items.  PTBO is'nt far from Slowville.  

One never knows what may come of a trip there...  I went with a broken rod that the warranty had just expired asking for help or a new tip and I was offered a good deal on a new one as they didn't have the matching tip available anymore...  Worth an email/call and then maybe the drive in my mind.  ;)  

Edited by GBW