Quantum Reels

Eazy

Hi there, just curious if any other fellow anglers on OFC use Quantum reels?

I know they definitely seem to be the underdogs in the reel industry as far as publicity and popularity goes.

I have purchased a Quantum Smoke S3 casting reel and a Smoke S3 Spinning reel as well as a Vapour and Accurist spinning reel.

The Smoke casting reel seems to be built like a tank and has awesome castability as well, nice low profile as well as a big spool for increased line capacity. 

The Smoke spinning reel has endured 2 seasons of Sub-zero steelhead fishing battling several 10lb fish. The drag is flawless, second to none.

The Vapour spinning reel has the same drag as the Smoke, but for some reason the retrieve is quite as smooth as the smoke. This is likely to different gearing material, not sure?

Anyways, just my two cents, if anyone else can think of anything to comment on...

Most quantum are junk but the Smoke s3 are a different animal..I got the S3 spinning only because I had gift cards and got a great deal on a sale. The drag and line managment are hands down better than my more expensive daiwa kage or shimano stadics and saros I own. It was supposed to be a back to my back up kind of reel but really holds its own and I reach for it often. It doesnt have that airy feeling like the daiwas or shimanos but it feels tight and in my opinion will last. I still have a quantum energy titanium from the early 90s thats now my girlfriends reel. Thing wont die. They do seem to produce some gems now and again in between alot of junk they get a bad rap for. Baitcast I stick with shimano and daiwa although again I still have a perfectly functional Quantum US 600 from again early 90s

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, steellee said:

Most quantum are junk but the Smoke s3 are a different animal..I got the S3 spinning only because I had gift cards and got a great deal on a sale. The drag and line managment are hands down better than my more expensive daiwa kage or shimano stadics and saros I own. It was supposed to be a back to my back up kind of reel but really holds its own and I reach for it often. It doesnt have that airy feeling like the daiwas or shimanos but it feels tight and in my opinion will last. I still have a quantum energy titanium from the early 90s thats now my girlfriends reel. Thing wont die. They do seem to produce some gems now and again in between alot of junk they get a bad rap for. Baitcast I stick with shimano and daiwa although again I still have a perfectly functional Quantum US 600 from again early 90s

Love my Smoke S3. Drag is better than my Stradic but the reel itself is not quite as smooth. 

I also love how easy the maintenance is on the "reel engine design" as well on the Quantum reels.

20200124_113024.jpg

Yah, thats definitely an oldie!

Funny thing they dropped the tour line in the spinners. 

Highest they go now is the Smoke S3 and also the Cabo (but thats a saltwater reel)

I guess being a smaller independent company they streamline their line according to profitability....🤔

1 hour ago, Beans said:

Looks like a "Lazy Ike" on the end of the line...at first thought "Flatfish" but only see one treble on the bottom not two on a wire ...

That is an old flat fish Norm. Pulled it out of the package this morning to fish it . There were a few old timers that were envious of this.

Edited by misfish

11 hours ago, Eazy said:

Love my Smoke S3. Drag is better than my Stradic but the reel itself is not quite as smooth. 

I also love how easy the maintenance is on the "reel engine design" as well on the Quantum reels.

20200124_113024.jpg

Ya these reels really excell at lure chucking steelhead. They're slightly heavier than the competion at about 8 oz but balance longer rods out nicer I find. I think the company targets a more casual anglers for mid level sales (crappy tire 50% off stuff) so they're high end offerings arent taken as seriously but they should be...

20200928_160145.jpg

My Tournament partner was running all smokes that he purchased within the last decade. Unfortunately they are all toast now.

that’s just been what I’ve witnessed. He doesn’t abuse his gear either, actually quite to contrary. The drag etc was solid, but the gearing didn’t hold up to the test of time.

Edited by AKRISONER

I have that smoke reel and a whole bunch of other quantum reels. I've caught huge fish in the far north and in saltwater with a variety of quantum reels. I have a 90s cabo that I still fish with. Higher end quantum have handled all challenges. One lower end one blew up but I landed the fish in my avatar.

The drags on high end ones are exceptional. You get what you pay for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snidley said:

Seems to me that Quantum, Abu, Lews, and Bass Pro all have the same manufacturer of their casting reels. They all look so similar but not necessarily bad.

Quantum and Okuma are currently under contract with Banax. Doyo has the contract for BPS, Abu Revo, Lews, Browning, Penn and some others. And ya they do often share platforms between brands. Daiwa and Shimano design and build their own product although Daiwa has been known to sub-build for others. (Most recently some Cabelas high end stuff). Seems the contracted builders put out some great stuff along with some duds with quality issues...

47 minutes ago, Eazy said:

I have a Cabelas Verano, built by Daiwa I believe.

It's a solid reel, no issues and has land many a steelhead 

Ya I own a Cabelas Arachnid baitcast of same vintage as the Verano spinning. Its basically a Tatula type R with different color scheme and a few extra bearings in handle. I think the Verano was the older 2016 Ballistic which is a tank of a reel

1 hour ago, steellee said:

Ya I own a Cabelas Arachnid baitcast of same vintage as the Verano spinning. Its basically a Tatula type R with different color scheme and a few extra bearings in handle. I think the Verano was the older 2016 Ballistic which is a tank of a reel

20190104_161147.jpg