Black stone grilles?

On 8/26/2021 at 8:00 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

These seem to be all the talk on camping forums, do any of you guys use them? 

Thoughts? 

Nobody uses these things? https://www.princessauto.com/en/22-in-2-burner-tabletop-griddle/product/PA0008999427

looks like a great way to make bacon and eggs or a whack of pancakes...or sautée a mess of veggies. 

useful, or a waste of money/space?

I have this griddle and it works well. Good for bacon and eggs, home fries, pan cakes and I use it for grilling mushrooms/oinions and it is awesome for cheese steak sandwiches. Also great for burgers when you want something a bit different than the good old BBQ.

My only criticism is that for my uses it is too small. All to often run out of space on the griddle so I'm thinking of buying a larger version and selling this one.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your thoughts. When you say you find it on the small side is that when cooking for more than 5-6 people kind of thing? I have a tent trailer and a seasonal trailer. So I like the fact that this one is small and portable and could be used with both types of camping. In both cases I have either a full-size barbeque or a portable grille.
As much as I’d like a three burner unit with a lid, I don’t think that would work for both set ups. 

Small is different for everyone and it really depends on what your cooking but picture this... Bacon and eggs with hash browns for 3 On that griddle you will have bacon taking up most of the room so no place for the rest. You cook the bacon and move it off to a platter and then you cook the hash browns again using most of the cooking surface then you clean the grill and cook the eggs. 

It's all OK but the bacon and the potatoes are now cold.

I find that if I undercook everything but the eggs I can prepare an individual plate one at a time by finishing up the bacon and potatoes and cooking the eggs.

If the griddle were larger I could possibly do it all at the same time or at least do the bacon and potatoes at the same time. I still find cooking eggs to be best in a small frying pan on a burner.

Another example might be when I do my cheese steak sandwiches, there only enough room to cook one at time...

In my opinion this particular griddle is very good but really it's just a replacement for a 14" frying pan. (Keep in mind that the sides don't get that hot and the actual cooking area is smaller than than the 22" size). I bought this one initially for my RV because of the size and for 2 people its not bad. I sold the RV and now use it at home.

Hope that helps