Trailer Axle

LefroyFisherman

Looking at a few charts I found on line and not knowing what you have added to the boat; I'd say the boat itself is anywhere between 900-1100 pounds. A 40 Merc (2 stroke) is under Approx 200 pounds. If that is the approx. weight then a 3500 pound axle should work fine. Yes Princess Auto does have some questionable quality items; but there's nothing wrong with a Rockwell axle assembly.

Dan.  

Sorry for the double post. 

If you're replacing the axle, I would suggest going one step further and replace the leaf springs as well. For 50 bucks each, it would be a good thing having all the suspension new and working together. Yeah I know it's not my money I'm spending; but fixed right the first time; will or could save some grief later?. At the very least make sure the spring's eyelet bushings, shackles and the spring's center locating pins are in good shape. The last thing you want is for the trailer to be dog tracking behind the tow vehicle.

Dan.

Springs

• Like 2

Just now, DanD said:

If you're replacing the axle, I would suggest going one step further and replace the leaf springs as well. For 50 bucks each, it would be a good thing having all the suspension new and working together. Yeah I know it's not my money I'm spending; but fixed right the first time; will or could save some grief later?. At the very least make sure the spring's eyelet bushings, shackles and the spring's center locating pins are in good shape. The last thing you want is for the trailer to be dog tracking behind the tow vehicle.

Dan.

Springs

Thanks for the tip 

1 hour ago, LefroyFisherman said:

Guys,

I'm looking at replacing the trailer axle on my boat trailer, few questions. Anyone know the weight of a 16 foot sylvan fishing boat with a 40 Merc? Would a 3500 pound axle be good enough? Where else do I get the axle except Princess Auto?

Can I ask why you are replacing the axle?

and 3500 would be fine

28 minutes ago, Dara said:

Can I ask why you are replacing the axle?

and 3500 would be fine

I’ve had some bearing issues over the years, I think the seats are worn down too much, and aren’t running straight they get hot. It’s easier just to replace the axle with new and not worry about it for awhile. 

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Dan.

Springs

That could be why I have the tire wear that I do.. I will have to check the bushings because I believe that the trailer is tracking to one side..

I replaced mine a couple of years ago.  I was able to get a custom axel from Cerka in Milton for less than Princess auto charges for their axels.  If you're further east, there is a place on the south end of 35/115 (Easton's?) that has a good reputation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I replaced mine a couple of years ago.  I was able to get a custom axel from Cerka in Milton for less than Princess auto charges for their axels.  If you're further east, there is a place on the south end of 35/115 (Easton's?) that has a good reputation.

Yup, I have used them before and was very pleased with the quality and service. 

I just looked into an axle, and found out its 8-12 weeks to get one pretty much anywhere, cerka, and Eastons included. 

A 3500lb axle is way overkill for your boat. I have a 16ft starcraft, 40 yamaha and my axle is 2500lbs. You'd be surprised at how little your boat likely weighs. 

Get the EZ lube hubs (standard at eastons, or cerka) for sure. They are the cats meow. 

The princess auto axles are china made, with cheap, garbage bearings in them. 

S. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sinker said:

The princess auto axles are china made, with cheap, garbage bearings in them. 

Not to disagree but I have to on this one. 

Sorry Shawn.

Rockwell

Princess Sells Rockwell American.

Like I said In my previous post; yes PA does sell a bunch of cheap crap; but there's nothing wrong with Rockwell. Yes maybe they are using Chinese made parts; but parts that meet Rockwell's specs. Who cares where the parts come from; as long as they meet the qualifications that the manufacturer needs. I can't believe I'm defending PA; but this time I feel I have too.  

Dan.

• Like 1