My travels this morning, it was an eye opener,,,,,,,,,,

misfish

I went on a visit to my parents this morning up the hwy 11 . I always love the leaving at morning dark and watching the sky light up on my travel up . Always seem to be a different sight . Watching for those pesky deer crossing , can be a bit on the nerves .There are many boat,yak,SUV and motor home dealers both north and south bound .

There is the one just before line 9. Always full of any boat of choice. Many in the past had American stickers and numbers. Empty.

Next there is a new RV place. 3/4 , empty.

Get close to Gravenhurst, 2 yak shops, 1/3 full.

Heading home, there is a large  boat place, just before Orrila that is always full of boats. I stopped in there many years ago and found his prices outrageous. Guess what ? Empty.

The one that really caught my eye on the way home was, The Hitch house. Ya, Hie dies had some stock still, but this place, Hitch House, sell huge motor homes. Always full of inventory when I would drive bye. This morning,I could count the stock on one hand.

Many many places made big bucks due to this virus, BUT, when everything gets back to almost norm,it will be a buyers market.

Keeping my good eye open ;)

• Like 2

Been crazy times for a lot of folks for sure Brian, there's a house  trailer dealer just up the road from me at Burleigh Falls who normally has a huge inventory but now there's only a couple on the lot.

As for the eye opener, I just had a cataract removed this past Monday and that was a pretty darned good eye opener too  LOL

• Like 1

Same down here Brian. The local car dealer who usually has 350 new cars now have 34 as of today. RVs, boats, even golf carts are very rare and are at a premium price. Most of it is not being able to get the smaller components to build with as well as delivering the finished products. Many people during lockdown pocketed the money they got and added the money they didn't spend on vacations and are actively buying sport and luxury items now. As the transportation industry gets parts and finished products back into the pipelines we should see a return to normal stock for new products and many slightly used sporting goods up for sale at a reduced price once people decide they are not as outdoorsy as they thought. 

Art

• Like 2

I was listening to a truck report yesterday Art. I paid $18,000 for my truck in 2014 . Guess what, I can get the same price, if not more, and it has low KM. 89,000.

That is just crazy nutz IMO, but do get it, BUT, there is no way in hell, I could buy the same truck new for under $30,000 now.  I will drive it ,til it give up.

41 minutes ago, lew said:

As for the eye opener, I just had a cataract removed this past Monday and that was a pretty darned good eye opener too  LOL

It sure is an eye opener Lew. I was so happy with mine til well, the retina detach. Pisser is,it is the same eye as the glaucoma. Living with it.

38 minutes ago, LefroyFisherman said:

we are looking for a seasonal camping spot probably next year somewhere, that will be hard to come by also.

That my friend,might be a real challenge. They seem to be wanted with or without, a pandemic.

It is nuts, boats are selling for 3X what they did 5 or 6 years ago, I was going to sell my coach last spring and upgrade to a bigger newer one. The one I wanted sold for way over asking. I could have got more for mine too but decided to just keep it, there was nothing wrong with it I just had 2 foot itice😊

As for the cataracts Lew, i couldn't beleive how many stars there were in the sky untile I had mine done or how white white really was. 

That’s the game, the bass boat market legitimately sold out last year in North America. ask chonger how long it took him to get his skeeter.

I agree, I’m about a year or so out from buying a bigger boat and I’m just waiting for the right time to strike. Maybe fall 2022 as the boats get put away for another winter. I’ll be heading over the border for any boat I inevitably do decide on.

watching the used bass boat market in the United States, I’m definitely starting to notice a bit of a flatten/down trend in used pricing. Inevitably the boats literally couldn’t get any more expensive then they have. There is definitely bound to be a few guys around that ended up scooping up a beautiful rig and spent a pile of time fishing during covid that don’t have that time anymore once the kids start playing rep sports and the wives inevitably drag their husbands back out to social gatherings on weekend. Heck I even already notice a trend on the water that the weekend traffic has declined substantially since the lock down ended and the social gatherings have fired back up.

until then I keep updating my spreadsheet regularly, tracking prices on boats with japanese motors and waiting for the dollar to hit parity or the guy that got himself into a massive payment for a toy that no longer gets used. As always, the best time to buy is when you’ve already got a decent one to use, it allows you to be very very patient.

We were upgrading our 2018 Colorado to a 2021 Colorado this February, we built one from the factory then, however by may they were telling us because of the chip shortage and so on that it would be the fall til we got something. So we ended up finding a similar truck that someone didn’t end up taking in June. 

Ford has continued to make the trucks and SUVs which only need the chips that are not available. The lots are so full they are considering shipping the trucks without a chip to the dealers and installing them in house. The down side is the new trucks are sitting and getting surface rust, door squeaks, and funny smells from sitting closed up in the weather. People are paying a premium, waiting for months and getting a less than perfect vehicle. The mustang,  dodge charger and dodge challenger, are idle on the production lines. The golf cart industry can't deliver them fast enough to the golf courses so the ones that are replaced and sold to the public are hard to find and are selling for more than the asking price. I keep finding phone numbers and cards stuck on my boat at the marina asking if I want to sell it. 

Art

15 minutes ago, aplumma said:

Ford has continued to make the trucks and SUVs which only need the chips that are not available. The lots are so full they are considering shipping the trucks without a chip to the dealers and installing them in house. The down side is the new trucks are sitting and getting surface rust, door squeaks, and funny smells from sitting closed up in the weather. People are paying a premium, waiting for months and getting a less than perfect vehicle. The mustang,  dodge charger and dodge challenger, are idle on the production lines. The golf cart industry can't deliver them fast enough to the golf courses so the ones that are replaced and sold to the public are hard to find and are selling for more than the asking price. I keep finding phone numbers and cards stuck on my boat at the marina asking if I want to sell it. 

Art

I’m tempted to sell my 16 foot 2001 sylvan with a 40 on it for more then I paid for it back in 2010 lol! 

12 minutes ago, LefroyFisherman said:

I’m tempted to sell my 16 foot 2001 sylvan with a 40 on it for more then I paid for it back in 2010 lol! 

This is common, Problem is you sell now you will have to buy again. 

no boater wants to be converted back into a bank fisherman lol. 

Just now, AKRISONER said:

This is common, Problem is you sell now you will have to buy again. 

no boater wants to be converted back into a bank fisherman lol. 

Yep, that’s why I’m not lol. But it would be a good idea if you could wait a couple years, buy it back in a couple years for half the price. 

It’s the worst time in history to buy an RV or boat. But we just did it. We paid too much for an older seasonal trailer in a park we’ve been eying for years. The landscaping and hardscapes on our particular lot was too much to resist (the best landscape in the park, and one of the most private) and life isn’t getting any longer. We’ve always been cottage renters & provincial park users, but booking ANYTHING this year has been totally impossible and I think next year may be the same. Sometimes you have to say eff it and blow some dough. Can’t take it with you. This gives our kids a place to go also and we’ll still do our travel camping with our old set up when it opens up again.

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

Virtually every manufacturing business in the world is having supply chain problems right now. Car, boat and RV dealer lots are empty because of manufacturer's having problems getting semiconductors, plastic resin, vinyl resin, steel, aluminum and, to a lesser degree, marine-grade lumber. When you can get it, you pay through the nose. Some of this stems from covid, some of it (semiconductors, for instance) stems from Trump's trade policies in the US, including restricting the importation of chips from China (where more than 80% of them are made).

Most of the boat builders sold out their entire 2021 production run back in the spring, and several are now saying their entire 2022 production run is already gone. Delivery trucks come into the dealership and every boat on them is already bought and paid for by somebody else. Dealers can't get inventory to put out on the lot because pretty well every boat coming in already has someone waiting for it.

It's not going to be a buyer's market for a long, long time - at least until these supply issues get sorted out, and boat builders catch up on what (for most of them) is already approaching 18 months worth of back orders. Even if boat sales suddenly tank, that's still at least two years away. Just saying ...

Edited by craigdritchie

Camping is another example of something that is in sudden demand. Sites have been tough to find in most provincial parks. Trailers are going for a premium and I see a lot of posts on the unofficial parks page from inexperienced owners asking for help. Something that is interesting is the amount of equipment left behind at parks as well. Many times dining tents are abandoned right on the site while a lot of other stuff is left at the garbage. One common theme in all this is how much money has been spent/wasted. I guess some people that worked through this have done very well for themselves..

On 8/13/2021 at 5:27 PM, lew said:

just had laser iridotomy last week. if I didn't have the work done, my condition (acute angle something or other...) would likely have ended in glaucoma, which leads to a world of misery. thank god my optometrist is on her toes. hope it heals up well, I'm probably going to need cataract surgery down the road...

Edited by woodenboater

8 minutes ago, misfish said:

Maybe you can add a few dings to it and that will lower the $$$  a bit. LOL

I'll drive it north to south in half a dozen places on Loughborough Lake, that will make it a scratch and dent sale! 😉

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I'll drive it north to south in half a dozen places on Loughborough Lake, that will make it a scratch and dent sale! 😉

Just turn it into a rock hound I am sure you will find lots of rocks that will volunteer to ruin your day up North. lol

Art

1 hour ago, aplumma said:

Just turn it into a rock hound I am sure you will find lots of rocks that will volunteer to ruin your day up North. lol

Art

Art, that is what happens when you drive a boat north and south on most of Loughborough.  East/west, not much of an issue.  North/south, you are going to find shoals.  None of them are marked...........

Doug