Kawartha lakes bite ?

Rustic-Fisher

Up here on a Kawartha lake , grinding it out .

Bites been pretty slow , did mange one beauty LM and a few smallies but it’s a grind .

Deep weed edge , pads , grass , rocks ...

been all over it and not hitting many.

it’s bitter sweet , the ones we do get are big , but my son needs a few smaller ones in between to keep him occupied lol.

Any tips ?

E8C4D0E1-9E2D-4A2C-8D08-3E2129FC472A.jpeg.fbc69756f1ffc44d7d9c7e545a18f3b9.jpeg

E1E9F6A8-60CB-48FA-8181-639D412FE762.jpeg

ECA17457-A632-416E-879E-A03B56CA04A1.jpeg

if you are looking to catch a pile of dinks you cant beat a whacky senko up shallow. Also the afternoon is notoriously hard to fish on the kawarthas, the pressure, boat traffic and high sun pushes the fish into the abundant grass cover. 

The fish will always be in 7-10 foot weeds but fishing them can be really boring and miserable. 

The fish come back up at sunset though, they almost seem to appear out of nowhere and the topwater bite can be amazing. 

On buckhorn a couple of weeks back we fished a tournament and grinded out bites all day, we were frustrated and went to an area that we literally got skunked in during the pre-fish and tournament...sunset? We caught 10 decent fish in about 30 minutes all on pop-r's They were absolutely chewing.

when I fish i always CAST DA MEPPS!

seriously though last year i was grinding it out on rice lake and i put on a mepps #5 red and black black fury on my baitcasting rod and began catching bass and pike when my crankbaits etc didnt work. 

reminded me that sometimes a classic inline spinner will still catch fish when other lures/plastics aren't doing the trick.

I would bet that casting an inline spinner and retrieving along the edges of the weeds will catch you fish, and they are easy to use for kids too, just cast and wind. 

tight lines

4 hours ago, benash02 said:

As they say fish are only the bonus. Struggled on lake Eugenia too but went ultra light and managed a few on dropshot. They were just sitting with it in their mouth. All the rain the pressure has been like a yo-yo. 

That lake will NEVER return to it,s glory days like in the late 70,s early 80,s. Huge bass back then.

I still regularly catch 4lbs+ fish on the lake had 8 over 3.5lbs on opening day this year. But I agree the fishing pressure is starting to show. However there are still tons of crays and bait fish if only we had fewer fishermen practicing fillet and release. He police came out on opening day flak jackets and all drove their boat  behind the island and sat there for 2 hours. Didn’t see them check a single boat.