Aluminum Boat Repairs

Was on Stoney Lake last week and found a new to me rock! Not a lot of damage but bad enough that I require some rivets to be replaced Anyone have any suggestions for a reputable repair service. I am in London but can drive a little ways for the right repairs

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Mike

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

• Sad 2

There is a guy here,but yer a bit of a drive away . I see boats in his yard every week I pass by. Little guy and a small shop.

Info for you,,,

Alumifab Custom Aluminum Fabrication, located at 576 Essa Road in Barrie

705 331 2022

I had a dozen rivets replaced at Heritage Marine in London two years ago and was very happy with them. You can see my write-up in Google.

Since that time the ownership has changed and there are a few bad reviews but who is to say that the actual staff all turned over? I am sure that they are mostly the same people.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, dave524 said:

A fellow on this forum had his Lund completely restored about 10 years ago here, was happy with the work, not cheap though  https://www.bankesmarineservices.com/

That was me. Was in 2009. Good memory. Still have the Lund. Still fishes strong. 

And nope, not cheap. But compared to boat prices these days, it almost seems affordable now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve said:

That was me. Was in 2009. Good memory. Still have the Lund. Still fishes strong. 

And nope, not cheap. But compared to boat prices these days, it almost seems affordable now. 

Still fishing spring browns on the south shore of lake Ontario  ?   I recall that was sort of a passion for you?

• Like 1

If you want to fix yourself I’ve got lots of 5/32” solid aluminum rivets if you need some. You need an air hammer and rivet setting tool (available at aircraft spruce Branford or online or Spaenaur in Kitchener) plus good 5/32” drill bit (rivet removing tool from aircraft spruce also works well)

10 hours ago, Sinker said:

I have all the tools and rivets to fix that, but its a little more than i would attempt personally. That' is a nasty hole in your boat. I hope you are ok after that, and nobody was injured! 

S. 

I don’t think it’s a hole, only a separation of the keel. Nasty bump indeed though

Me, I'd contact the manufacturer and try and order a new keel to replace the one that has been ....torn, stretched, twisted and generally no longer able to do its job. If riveted back it will simply twist the hull creating many stress points. To remove it and to try straightening it would be allot of work and even afterwards, the holes to re-attach won't line up IMO. Haven't checked but perhaps aftermarket replacement keels are available online.  

Edited by cisco
  • Like 1

There is a guy in outside Brantford that was doing repairs for sometime now 

Paul's Marine Welding , 14 Mulholland Lane Lynden Ont , L0R 1T0 519-647-2110

Aluminum Boat Repairs , Hull Re-Riveting , Props & Skegs , Transom Wood Replaced With White Oak m Bow Stem Repair , Cracked Manifold Welded , Floors Replaced , Marine Plywood or Aluminum , Carpet vinyl , Please call with your needs , Thanks Paul 519-647-2110

ive never used him chatted once told me how to buck my own and said he would be interested if that didn’t work

4 minutes ago, skinny said:

There is a guy in outside Brantford that was doing repairs for sometime now 

Paul's Marine Welding , 14 Mulholland Lane Lynden Ont , L0R 1T0 519-647-2110

Aluminum Boat Repairs , Hull Re-Riveting , Props & Skegs , Transom Wood Replaced With White Oak m Bow Stem Repair , Cracked Manifold Welded , Floors Replaced , Marine Plywood or Aluminum , Carpet vinyl , Please call with your needs , Thanks Paul 519-647-2110

ive never used him chatted once told me how to buck my own and said he would be interested if that didn’t work

Thanks but I DID speak with Paul but he is recovering from surgery on his hand is "out of Commission" except for very minor jobs

Thanks Mike