Jump to content

Advice requested: Bow mount electric


akaShag
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a 16ft tiller, deep and wide, with a 40 on it. I use a 55lb powerdrive V2 with ipilot link, Bluetooth, and universal sonar. I don't use half the features, but the spot lock and autopilot is more than worth it. 

Trolling has never been easier, and totally hands free, its AMAZING. I haven't touched my anchor in....well....forever. The spot lock works amazing, I use it every single time out. 

If I was you, I'd go with the terrova though. You can then use the hand control, AND the foot control from anywhere in the boat at any time. With the power drive, I can only do one or the other, and the foot pedal doesn't have the ipilot features built into it. It actually doesn't even come with a foot pedal, I had to buy one separate, and its still new in the package. I will say though, it takes  a bit of time to get used to the hand control. At first I hated it, because, like you, I am used to a foot pedal, but I"m getting there now. If I'm cruising a shoreline casting, I still prefer the footpedal though. 

The auto deploy units are sweet, but they do have a lot of issues.  More than I'm willing to take a chance on, personally. 

I like to keep it simple, but effective, and that's exactly what the terrova is. 

If you want to go bigger than 55lb you are into 24V, 70lb powerdrive, or 80lb terrova, but unless you have a very big 16ft tiller, you won't need it. I have had a 55lb on my boat for over 20 years, and unless its stupid windy, you won't need it. If its that windy, you won't be out using it anyways. I have every trolling speed covered between my bowmount, and my 40 yamaha, and battery life is amazing. My last 55lb powerdrive I used 2 31 size batteries, but this new one I've only installed one, and its been great, never killed it yet. 

What kind of boat are you looking at getting? Just curious. :) 

 

S. 

 

Edited by Sinker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sinker said:

What kind of boat are you looking at getting? Just curious

Right now I am leaving my options open.  The lad on here who was looking at Lund and Crestliner got me to thinking.  I like the Lund hull and layout, but I am still looking around.  My favourite hull from years gone by was the Sylvan Super Snapper, which was what I bought and still own many moons later.  I would also consider a made-in-Canada Princecraft.  But there are no boats to be had right now, so a fellow is looking at ordering something for 2022.

Thanks for your insights.  One of these years I am going to meet you, seems we have a few things in common.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Right now I am leaving my options open.  The lad on here who was looking at Lund and Crestliner got me to thinking.  I like the Lund hull and layout, but I am still looking around.  My favourite hull from years gone by was the Sylvan Super Snapper, which was what I bought and still own many moons later.  I would also consider a made-in-Canada Princecraft.  But there are no boats to be had right now, so a fellow is looking at ordering something for 2022.

Thanks for your insights.  One of these years I am going to meet you, seems we have a few things in common.

Doug

Yep, quite a few things in common. 

If your like me, and don't need fancy schmancy to catch fish, look at the starcraft freedom series. They are solid, and very versatile hulls. If you want more fancy, check the alumacrafts. They are sweet. I am torn, because i am a tiller guy to the bones, but i need a bigger boat, mostly for great lakes trolling, so do I get a big tiller like I want? Or do I get a windshield for me? For the passengers? I just don't know. I sure do love my buddies alumacraft competitor 185 with a 90 yammy tiller though. She's sweet! 

 

I've also head of a company called TEAM boats (I think, out of Bala?) that make all welded hulls. Similar to a Stanley style boat. 

S. 

S. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

starcraft is now basically a smoker craft...and if my experience with a smoker is worth anything...stay the heck away.

Hands down the worst riding boat I have ever been in.

 

My old man runs an alumacraft trophy 185 and my best friend has a 17 foot crestliner...both are fantastic boats. The alumacraft specifically feels a heck of a lot like a lund. Which is saying a lot because you already know how a lund looks and feels.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Sinker said:

Yep, quite a few things in common. 

If your like me, and don't need fancy schmancy to catch fish, look at the starcraft freedom series. They are solid, and very versatile hulls.

I'd look at these.  I almost considered selling my superfisherman and getting the Freedom 18.  It's a hella nice rig for a mid size semi utility, and I sometimes miss the tiller layout.  last I checked Marsh's marine had a 16 in stock.  Might be gone now. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, AKRISONER said:

starcraft is now basically a smoker craft...and if my experience with a smoker is worth anything...stay the heck away.

Hands down the worst riding boat I have ever been in.

 

My old man runs an alumacraft trophy 185 and my best friend has a 17 foot crestliner...both are fantastic boats. The alumacraft specifically feels a heck of a lot like a lund. Which is saying a lot because you already know how a lund looks and feels.

A pet peeve of mine is when people talk about things they have no idea about.

Have you ever set foot in a starcraft? How about a brand new one? Smokecraft and starcraft are not the same hulls. Kind of like comparing a legend to a lund.  If you knew much about starcrafts, you would know they have a HUGE following, and last for generations. Hop in a new super fisherman and tell me about the ride. Blindfolded you would not be able to tell the difference from a Lund or Alumacraft. 

Talk to some big water guys with starcrafts and see what they think.  

Yes, I am biased because i have a starcraft, but I've also been running boats since I was 6 years old, and from one coast to the other, in every size, shape and configuration there is, and for the life of me, can't figure where you come up with a smokercraft is the worst riding boat ever. Maybe the one model you were in was a bad design? Maybe the operator? Maybe just a bad day out in it? I don't get it. Its a very bold statement to make. 

S. 

S. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Sinker said:

A pet peeve of mine is when people talk about things they have no idea about.

Have you ever set foot in a starcraft? How about a brand new one? Smokecraft and starcraft are not the same hulls. Kind of like comparing a legend to a lund.  If you knew much about starcrafts, you would know they have a HUGE following, and last for generations. Hop in a new super fisherman and tell me about the ride. Blindfolded you would not be able to tell the difference from a Lund or Alumacraft. 

Talk to some big water guys with starcrafts and see what they think.  

Yes, I am biased because i have a starcraft, but I've also been running boats since I was 6 years old, and from one coast to the other, in every size, shape and configuration there is, and for the life of me, can't figure where you come up with a smokercraft is the worst riding boat ever. Maybe the one model you were in was a bad design? Maybe the operator? Maybe just a bad day out in it? I don't get it. Its a very bold statement to make. 

S. 

S. 

I own a star craft 🤷‍♂️ 

My best friend/tournament partner/fishing partner got rid of his 15 year old smoker, it was sinking, multiple failed rivets, felt like a car wreck with every ripple of water it touched. He never “beached it” or ever hit anything in it.

he’s in a similar size/model crest liner now, the difference is astonishing

i can assure you, neither the Starcraft or the smoker feels anything like the alumacraft I own.  Or the Lund my uncle owns.

Edited by AKRISONER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 11:03 AM, AKRISONER said:

I own a star craft 🤷‍♂️ 

My best friend/tournament partner/fishing partner got rid of his 15 year old smoker, it was sinking, multiple failed rivets, felt like a car wreck with every ripple of water it touched. He never “beached it” or ever hit anything in it.

he’s in a similar size/model crest liner now, the difference is astonishing

i can assure you, neither the Starcraft or the smoker feels anything like the alumacraft I own.  Or the Lund my uncle owns.

Comparing tin cans to actual boats is apples and oranges. 

A 16ft aluminum boat comes in many, many, many, shapes and sizes, and rides for that matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought 16ft princecraft resorter 30hp tiller this year with a 12 volt terrova 55lb ipilot the 55# is more then enough for the boat I’m on the water morning till dark most days fishing in heavy current and haven’t even come close to killing the battery (100ah lithium) you wouldn’t be disappointed 55# thrust on any 16ft boat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

well...............it looks like I will be buying a Terrova 55 lb (12 volt) model with I-Pilot and a foot pedal.  The new ride is a 16 foot Alumacraft with a 40 hp Yamaha.  The hull is rated for 50 hp but there is a new 40 on it and no chance to swap for a 50.

Thanks for all the advice, folks!  Next question is a "fish finder" and I will start a new topic for that.

Doug

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats, you are going to love the alumacraft. They are really solid built boats. They feel like a tank on the water.

if I wasn’t in a glass boat, I’d own an alumacraft myself. I still use my old man’s trophy 185 regularly and love it, just not as much as my glasser

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2022 at 9:21 PM, akaShag said:

well...............it looks like I will be buying a Terrova 55 lb (12 volt) model with I-Pilot and a foot pedal.  The new ride is a 16 foot Alumacraft with a 40 hp Yamaha.  The hull is rated for 50 hp but there is a new 40 on it and no chance to swap for a 50.

Thanks for all the advice, folks!  Next question is a "fish finder" and I will start a new topic for that.

Doug

 

Get a second battery if you have the space. I run 2, 31 DC on mine and it will run forever. I do a lot of slow trolling with mine though, so if you are just positioning the boat, one battery should be ok. Get the biggest one you can though. 

S. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fisherman said:

You're going to like that Yama 40 a lot, really quiet and fires up on first try.  Does it have the electronic idle control?  Another feature that makes trolling pretty precise.

I have no idea what it has, but it DOES have power tilt!  And I know a lot of fellows whose opinions I trust, who love their Yamaha outboards.  YOU are one of those people!  😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

So I did buy the Minnkota Terrova 12v with a foot pedal and remote control.  So if you see a bearded old fart on a Kingston area lake cursing at his bow-mount electric, and the gizmos, that will be me!  😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...