Advice requested: Bow mount electric

akaShag

This has no doubt come up before but a search did not help me, and who knows, there are probably new products out there.

I am pretty much convinced I am going to buy a new fishing boat, 16 foot aluminum, tiller, with a raised casting platform on the bow.  I want to get a bow mount electric that doesn't wreck my back each time I deploy and stow it.  (I acknowledge that I am not the young man I once was...).  I am very comfortable with a foot pedal control, and would only use the motor from a SEATED position, never standing, never on one of those 3/4 height bicycle seats that are designed to torture old guys, thanks very much.

I assume that a new boat will be able to accommodate two 12 v batteries for the motor, independent of the starting battery.  I am not in any sense a competitive angler, and a LONG day in the boat for me would be 6 hours.  I am certain I don't need a 36 volt motor.  I don't fish big water any more, and the weight of the boat doesn't need that much power.  (If it is really windy, I will not be fishing, so need not worry about boat control in big swells or with a side wind.)

So what do you guys recommend? I have run Minnkota electric motors for forty years or so, but would consider another brand.  The critical thing is ease of deploying and stowing it.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

Minn Kota makes a self deploy , the price will likely shock you. And spot lock is incredible.

I've stayed with the cable steer so far. But spot lock models so popular there's many good deals on used cable steer .

! would suggest 80 Fortrex 50 inch shaft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have the auto deploy... worth every penny.  Especialy in the rough stuff. I can deploy and spot lock from the helm.    19.5 ft aluminum  we run 24 v and never run it down in a day. Running crown floor sweeper batteries.

Edited by Freshtrax
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Freshtrax said:

Ulterra with I pilot link.  Had it for 3 years no issues so far. 

Thanks very much.

Looks like about four grand?  What's the difference between i-pilot and i-pilot link?

Doug

I  have a Terrova with spot lock and i pilot. 24 volt and 80 lbs thrust

I would recommend

The newer ones have lift assist not self deploy but it is easy.

I have a foot pedal but mainly use the remote. I use spot lock a lot avoid the anchor and rope

i pilot is for GPS heading and i pilot link will hook up to a Humminbird and follow a contour

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RickOnt said:

Terrova with spot lock and i pilot. 24 volt and 80 lbs thrust

Looks like about $2600 on-line.

In relatively calm conditions, how much battery is burned using spot lock?  I can see that being a very useful feature for fishing crappies (where I would usually anchor)

I am appreciating all the advice guys, please keep it coming.

Doug

The spot lock uses very little battery unless it’s very windy.  Another thing you’ll like is the autopilot feature.  It will change your world if you like to troll.  I’ve heard of some occasional problems with the self deploy, but I sure think I’d take my chances if I needed a new motor and it was in the budget.  Talk about a nice feature to have!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, akaShag said:

Thanks very much.

Looks like about four grand?  What's the difference between i-pilot and i-pilot link?

Doug

We got a good deal about 3 k 3 Years ago.

The link feature integrates the sonar and the motor more.  Allows you to follow lake contours... ie.  I can tell the motor to keep me in 14 ft of water and follow the shoreline at whatever mph I tell it. 

Allows for more saved tracks and waypoints.   Has a nicer remote.  I'm sure it does more but I haven't taken the time to learn it. 

Biggest features for me are spotlock. Spot lock jog ( move in 5 ft increments in any direction while spotlocked)   Auto pilot.   I use it when drifting to keep my heading down on st Clair River as well as slow the drift.    Also use auto pilot on erie and lake o trolling.  We use the kicker for thrust and I set a heading on the hummingbird can dile in exact speed  and heading and not have to have my hands on the wheel all day I actualy bungee the steering wheel straight. 

Complete gamecganger.   Let's me fish instead of drive the boat all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to date I have owned 

A motorguide Tour cable drive

minkotta powerdrive v1

Minkotta Powerdrive V2 ipilot

A minkotta Terrova Gen 1 ipilot

minkotta terrova gen 2 ipilot

Garmin Force

and I have multiple close friends and first hand dealings with

Minkotta Fortrex 

Minkotta Ultrex

For your type of fishing I would most highly recommend a

Minkotta Terrova gen 2 with ipilot (non link)

or if you want to get crazy a Garmin Force (totally dependant on your boat...please remind of me of what kind of boat you are running...this is a very very heavy robust motor that I would not suggest for any aluminum boat under 18 feet long.

Having experience with all of these motors, Minkotta has very much disappointed me hence my move to garmin this year. Out of all of those motors, only 3 have operated without signficant issues/are now dead.

The Foretrex

The Terrova V2 ipilot 

and the garmin force are the only motors that have worked to expectations with the Garmin Force being literally on another planet as far as trolling motors go. You pay for it, but its by far the best trolling motor on the market (I havent used a lowrance ghost yet but my understanding is that its comparable)

That being said...i think for the type of fishing you enjoy (judging by your past reports) an 80lb thrust terrova V2 Ipilot without a link is the ideal motor for you. You dont need the link because 1. to run the link youd need a networked humminbird sonar GPS which as a whole other investment and 2. the ipilot follow contours function is based off of the use of either lakemaster or a humminbird zero lines chart card which requires you to map the lake yourself. The Lakemaster canada card simply put...is terrible. Its honestly pathetic in Canada and I would highly recommend to anyone to not bother with it. In fact its so bad I would outright consider it dangerous due to its complete lack of accuracy.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I can see that I am going to need to start another thread about "fish finders."  🙄

But this is all good, and please keep it coming folks, you are adding to an old fart's education!

how long you got there partner lol

Ive spent 4 years reading and reading and reading and keeping up to date with this stuff and even completing installs of Garmin and humminbird electronics, including networking them etc. 

At this point i could basically sell and install them professionally lol

Ill add the ulterra although fancy etc with its auto deploy...is known to break...a lot

The new generation of Terrova's have a spring load system that helps you deploy and stow the motor. It can get buggered up too, but its pretty darn easy to stow and deploy.

The garmin force has a twin shock system that helps buffer and give you power to both stow and deploy the motor.

The force is a cable drive style motor, big, powerful, and stows on a pivot vs a sliding shaft like the terrovas. They really are two totally different beasts and I think its overkill for your application.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

That being said...i think for the type of fishing you enjoy (judging by your past reports) an 80lb thrust terrova V2 Ipilot without a link is the ideal motor for you. You dont need the link because 1. to run the link youd need a networked humminbird sonar GPS which as a whole other investment and 2. the ipilot follow contours function is based off of the use of either lakemaster or a humminbird zero lines chart card which requires you to map the lake yourself. The Lakemaster canada card simply put...is terrible. Its honestly pathetic in Canada and I would highly recommend to anyone to not bother with it. In fact its so bad I would outright consider it dangerous due to its complete lack of accuracy.

Hope this helps.

VERY VERY helpful, and thanks!

3 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

how long you got there partner lol

Not enough!  Old dog, new tricks, etc.

It's my thinking that the next boat will be the last one I ever buy, I am in my 60s and take good care of my stuff.  My current rig has two issues that are making my life unhappy:  wrestling with the bow-mount when I stow it or deploy it; and manually lifting my 40 horse Honda up (ie tilt) to recover the boat on the trailer.

Enjoying the points of view, and advice here, and many thanks to all who have chipped in.  I am still listening for any more advice/recommendations.

Doug

20 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Not enough!  Old dog, new tricks, etc.

It's my thinking that the next boat will be the last one I ever buy, I am in my 60s and take good care of my stuff.  My current rig has two issues that are making my life unhappy:  wrestling with the bow-mount when I stow it or deploy it; and manually lifting my 40 horse Honda up (ie tilt) to recover the boat on the trailer.

Enjoying the points of view, and advice here, and many thanks to all who have chipped in.  I am still listening for any more advice/recommendations.

Doug

I went wit the 40 Yamaha tiller for some of those reasons, gas tilt assist, tilt motor up with 2 fingers and the electronic idle control.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

I went wit the 40 Yamaha tiller for some of those reasons, gas tilt assist, tilt motor up with 2 fingers and the electronic idle control.

By all accounts, the Yamaha is a sweet motor, but I want to settle on a bow mount electric for starters.  Bow to stern?

Doug

Doug, my first bow mount trolling motor in the 80's was a Minn Kota. The thing was a Power Drive and it was plagued with foot pedal issues, but otherwise worked great. I thin switched boats and got a Minn Kota Maxxum 65 with cable steer foot pedal. That thing was bullet proof and would plow through any weed bed with ease. It was only 12 volt but had the Maximizer technology and was easy on the battery.

When I bought my new 16.5 foot tiller with 40 HP Yamaha in 2017, my Wife convinced me to go with new technology and get the Motorguide Xi5  55# with 54" shaft & with remote control, wireless foot pedal, Anchor lock, and I can even control the thing from my graphs! So far, it is no match for the weeds like the Minn Kota was and I am on my third remote! The things just quit after a year or so.

If I had to do it over, I would go back to cable steer and forego all this technology! I find the motor does the job fine on 12 volts though.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rattletrap2 said:

The Anchor lock or Spot lock is a useful feature though!

Yes, of that I am convinced by all of the testimony here.

It would be churlish of me to suggest that a herd mentality always prevails, like they used to say, EAT SH**!!!!  Ten billion flies can't be wrong.................

I have a  12v,minnkotta powerdrive v2. On a 16 ft.Mirrocraft.25 Honda tiller! I fish Erie all the time! Never had the battery get below half when spot locked even on fairly windy days! The autopilot works great for trolling! Mine is 10 yrs. Old! No issues so far! Works for me! Keep the shaft clean and spray with silicone now and then! Deployment and retrieval are cake! Im 70! Cheers!

• Thanks 1